Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new contract with hd dvr even if you dont sign for it?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,031 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

My guess is you guys always activate through the access card department. If you go through the normal channels like us other poor schmucks who don't know any better, then you get re-upped. I've had more than one CSR tell me that ALL receivers automatically start a new contract unless you call back to get it fixed, or unless you activate through the access card department to begin with. Not that I believe anything a CSR says, but it has proven to be true for me and many others. So I still contend it's SOP. It's happened to at least 3 people in this thread alone.

I have only talked to the access car department once and it had nothing to do with a swap. And the other people I know don't even know the access card department exists.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

so to get this fixed months later you can either call and ask for the accsess dept or email ellens team?
I had a older hd dvr dont know the model,one of the original ones for hd..It was having issues,very slow,I called in and they wanted to swap it out for "up to date" hd dvr,I didnt request anything but ended up with a hr25.I was upfront with them about not wanting another contract if they were to do this,they did agree to this before hand.

while the tech was here,he said i had a older lnb,he swapped it out for the swm type and set it up to work with my wireless internet.

HR25? I didn't know they made an HR25. Anyhow, you might want to call them and ask what triggered the new contract since they did upgrade some of your equipment such as the LNB and SWM and wireless internet.Did he install an internet module? I think they are called CCK or CDK. How about whole home DVR? I don't know if that and the SWM are considered upgrades. Maybe some of our more knowledgable members can chime in.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

My comments here will probably make me "unpopular" (again).

I don't understand the obsession people have to being "out of contract".

I've been with D* for several years and could care less whether I'm "in contract" or "out of contract".....since I want D*'s services, have no desire in any of my wildest dreams to switch to Dish or a variety of local, available cable TV carriers, and am not interested in "cutting the cord" (I supplement my Premier Package with Netflix)......

Being "in contract" or "out" is pretty meaningless to me.....I've been in this house for 15 years. I originally had Qwest's (my phone company) cable TV offering until they discontinued it and replaced it with D*. Been happily with D* ever since.

To me, it's the same as my cell phone service. I like the service and the hardware. why would it matter if I'm in contract or out????

I don't much care about being in contract, but I only want to be in contract when I want to be. I'm in contract now by choice.

#24 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

HR25? I didn't know they made an HR25. Anyhow, you might want to call them and ask what triggered the new contract since they did upgrade some of your equipment such as the LNB and SWM and wireless internet.Did he install an internet module? I think they are called CCK or CDK. I don't know if that and the SWM are considered upgrades. Maybe some of our more knowledgable members can chime in.

When I went to SWM, there was no contract. This was to go supported on MRV. When I added my HR34 later, that triggered the contract.

#25 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

It's been posted many times but I'll post it here again.

Upgrade = Agreement
ERP/RMA = No agreement

If you have a technical problem you deal with the technical department and require them to send you a replacement receiver.

The way this happens is if someone orders an upgrade instead of a replacement. This happens from bad communication or someone doing something they shouldn't do.

I know people that have left the company who love to troll here like to state that it's SOP but it's not and it doesn't matter who activates the receiver. The people who you talk to have 0 ability to choose if an agreement is added or not manually. The only way agreements get added are by systemic policies based on offers. It does happen and by people not communicating properly or by people doing the wrong thing. Sometimes it's customer driven and sometimes it's agent driven however if the proper policies are followed this shouldn't happen. When it does it's easy to verify and resolve if the account is ever disconnected.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#26 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

When I went to SWM, there was no contract. This was to go supported on MRV. When I added my HR34 later, that triggered the contract.

If you ordered a WHDVR upgrade but had SWM compatible equipment then nothing was swapped out which wouldn't have generated an agreement, I also believe there was a small window where the WHDVR swaps didn't generate agreements unless it was an ugprade as well, so that is more than likely what happened with you. Now if you order WHDVR and they have to swap out equipment an agreement is added approrpiately based on equipment type.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

If you ordered a WHDVR upgrade but had SWM compatible equipment then nothing was swapped out which wouldn't have generated an agreement, I also believe there was a small window where the WHDVR swaps didn't generate agreements unless it was an ugprade as well, so that is more than likely what happened with you. Now if you order WHDVR and they have to swap out equipment an agreement is added approrpiately based on equipment type.

Correct. Actually, thinking back, I was already under contract at that time, I'd gotten rid of my H20 and replaced it with an HR22 to use unsupported.

#28 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

if it was an erp, why was a tech dispatched to install it? An erp is sent via Fed Ex. It sounds like an upgrade was ordered - probably at no cost - and you took advantage of that offer. If that is true, then it is a legitimate commitment. Unless it's a service call (or upgrade) no tech should ever roll, so I'm leaning towards the upgrade.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,742 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

if it was an erp, why was a tech dispatched to install it? An erp is sent via Fed Ex. It sounds like an upgrade was ordered - probably at no cost - and you took advantage of that offer. If that is true, then it is a legitimate commitment. Unless it's a service call (or upgrade) no tech should ever roll, so I'm leaning towards the upgrade.

Well there's still a question on what he got model-wise.

#30 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'm not going to to go into the validity of the agreement but service calls can be seutp as well for free.

Well there's still a question on what he got model-wise.

Model wouldn't matter unless you're saying he got a TiVo or HMC.

#31 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm not going to to go into the validity of the agreement but service calls can be seutp as well for free.

In late-June, I had an HR21-100 die on me (paused all the time, internal temp at 149 and an error code (that I forgot)). Called and talked with Tech support. They rolled a truck to fix the DVR ("we won't charge your Mr. H as you've been such a loyal customer since 1998."). Two guys arrived (on time) and it took them all of five seconds to say "your HD is toast, we're replacing your DVR". All they had were HR24s and 34s. I did ask for one of the 34s, but all I got was two loud laughs. And a brand new 24. :)

No cost to me: no shipping, no roll-out charge and no extended contract.

#32 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Even if an ERP or service call is processed incorrectly and generates a commitment...it's a matter of like 5 seconds to fix it. Just call DTV and ask for the Access Card Dept. it can researched and corrected...very simple fix
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#33 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

let me clarify my statement. A truck roll to a receiver replacement is rare but not unheard of. I see it commonly for an elderly or differently-abled customer. When an onsite tech activates a replacement ird as part of a service call through his handheld it should actually prevent a service commitment from being applied.
SOP now is that when a commitment -changing event (upgrade, programming offer, etc) occurs on an account, the caller is transferred to a third part agent who verifies the order/offer and th customer's understanding of what it entails, before applied.
If a tech rolled, he activated a new ird and you got a commitment, it sounds seriously like an upgrade. These things can fall hrough the cracks, but it is much more rare.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#34 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

let me clarify my statement. A truck roll to a receiver replacement is rare but not unheard of. I see it commonly for an elderly or differently-abled customer. When an onsite tech activates a replacement ird as part of a service call through his handheld it should actually prevent a service commitment from being applied.
SOP now is that when a commitment -changing event (upgrade, programming offer, etc) occurs on an account, the caller is transferred to a third part agent who verifies the order/offer and th customer's understanding of what it entails, before applied.
If a tech rolled, he activated a new ird and you got a commitment, it sounds seriously like an upgrade. These things can fall hrough the cracks, but it is much more rare.

For the most part correct ...but it all depends on how the activation is processed
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#35 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

My guess is you guys always activate through the access card department. If you go through the normal channels like us other poor schmucks who don't know any better, then you get re-upped. I've had more than one CSR tell me that ALL receivers automatically start a new contract unless you call back to get it fixed, or unless you activate through the access card department to begin with. Not that I believe anything a CSR says, but it has proven to be true for me and many others. So I still contend it's SOP. It's happened to at least 3 people in this thread alone.

If it were SOP as you say then it would have happened to EVERYONE in this thread and everyone would have to call the access card dept. to get it fixed!
We all know the various levels of competance and training of CSRs, if you guide them the correct way it will not happen. Do not call in and tell them you "want to activate a "NEW" rcvr" explain to them you recieved a "replacement" rcvr and need to activate it and don't expect a contract extention. If they tell you "all activations require an extention" ask to transfered to tech support and have them do it! I found that being proactive but polite gets things done the correct way the first time, most of the time.
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#36 ONLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

If it were SOP as you say then it would have happened to EVERYONE in this thread and everyone would have to call the access card dept. to get it fixed!
We all know the various levels of competance and training of CSRs, if you guide them the correct way it will not happen. Do not call in and tell them you "want to activate a "NEW" rcvr" explain to them you recieved a "replacement" rcvr and need to activate it and don't expect a contract extention. If they tell you "all activations require an extention" ask to transfered to tech support and have them do it! I found that being proactive but polite gets things done the correct way the first time, most of the time.

There was an issue a few years ago where there was a system glitch or broken system process where replacement receivers defaulted to extend a two-year contract when it should not. There were many, many threads on it and the problem went on for a very long time (ie well over a year) According to some of the D* employees that post here, the glitch was acknowledged and eventually fixed.

A quick search and you will find some of the many threads on it.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#37 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

There was an issue a few years ago where there was a system glitch or broken system process where replacement receivers defaulted to extend a two-year contract when it should not. There were many, many threads on it and the problem went on for a very long time (ie well over a year) According to some of the D* employees that post here, the glitch was acknowledged and eventually fixed.

A quick search and you will find some of the many threads on it.

I can understand that happening. That would come under the "mistake" or "error" catagory, not SOP. I can also understand it still happens today with "human error" but that avoided upfront on our (customers) side!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#38 ONLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

I can understand that happening. That would come under the "mistake" or "error" catagory, not SOP. I can also understand it still happens today with "human error" but that avoided upfront on our (customers) side!

I don't disagree that what is currently happening is likely isolated errors. My point was, I wouldn't completely discount "SOP", since the issue was a widespread system problem in the past.

I say "SOP" because, at what point does a known system issue, that always innurs to Directv's benefit, move from being a simple glitch to SOP. Is it a month, is it a year? I don't know, all I know is the issue was very widespread in the past and they didn't seem to be in any hurry to fix it - if memory serves it was well over a year.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#39 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

I don't disagree that what is currently happening is likely isolated errors. My point was, I wouldn't completely discount "SOP", since the issue was a widespread system problem in the past.

I say "SOP" because, at what point does a known system issue, that always innurs to Directv's benefit, move from being a simple glitch to SOP. Is it a month, is it a year? I don't know, all I know is the issue was very widespread in the past and they didn't seem to be in any hurry to fix it - if memory serves it was well over a year.

Maybe they were not in a hurry to fix it or maybe they were incappable of fixing it in a timely manner. What I consider SOP is a directive from upper management to all CSRs that all replacement activations extend current contracts. I am not saying that they didn't ignore or act slowly to a situation that caused that error because they figured some would not notice enough to call back and have it fixed!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#40 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,275 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

The obsession people have to being "out of contract". comes from many sources.

1. An expected and not for the better change in income in the indefinite future.
2. Planning a move and afraid the new location will not be able to get satellite TV.
3. Barely scraping by financially now.
4. Planning for retirement, not exactly sure when.
5. You feel that no commitment gives you an edge when you call DirecTV for anything.
6. Retiring soon, similar to #4 but you know when.
7. No other commitments, Including cell phone contract.
8. Everything is paid off, Including mortgage, credit card debt and you don't want obligations any longer.

Those are off of the top of my head.

I personally do not want an obligation as I see things coming that may make me want to change providers. Since I could be happy with a Hopper or a HR34 or Cable with a 4 tuner cablecard in my computer to use it as a DVR, I want to keep my options open.
That is one reason I have Basic Cable and Satellite TV as well as one backs up the other and I can DVR locals off of the cable feed.

It's nice that you are happy and nothing will ever make you change providers.

My comments here will probably make me "unpopular" (again).

I don't understand the obsession people have to being "out of contract".

I've been with D* for several years and could care less whether I'm "in contract" or "out of contract".....since I want D*'s services, have no desire in any of my wildest dreams to switch to Dish or a variety of local, available cable TV carriers, and am not interested in "cutting the cord" (I supplement my Premier Package with Netflix)......

Being "in contract" or "out" is pretty meaningless to me.....I've been in this house for 15 years. I originally had Qwest's (my phone company) cable TV offering until they discontinued it and replaced it with D*. Been happily with D* ever since.

To me, it's the same as my cell phone service. I like the service and the hardware. why would it matter if I'm in contract or out????

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

spam firewall