Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new contract with hd dvr even if you dont sign for it?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

While I don't particularly care for service commitments, there are cases where you don't have a choice (assuming you want that particular service). A service commitment does not prevent you from ending service, it only puts a cost on it.

When I get a commitment, I accept the fact that if I want/need out early it will cost me a little extra. Only once have I ever actually terminated early and paid the ETF (was with an ISP, not DirecTV), and it was worth every penny to get out of that.

As to your reasons for no contract, most reflect financial limitations (barely scraping by, about to retire, possible job loss, etc.). Sorry, but if you are that close to the edge you have no business paying for TV service. Get a set of rabbit ears and save yourself a bunch of money each month. That's just my opinion though, which I recognize many won't agree with.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

Really? 3 people out of 30 million subscribers.....seems isolated to me
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#43 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

back to the original post with the signing after the receiver was activated.
Since the launch of "fist' you can't activate a receiver on your handheld, without first obtaining a lease agreement signature on the handheld. If you click "customer refused" it comes up with a message telling you to cancel the work order and that the box can't be activated. Obviously there are ways around this, but I'm not sure why he's trying to get you to sign the lease after. Unless it was an old paper lease?
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#44 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

I had a HR-20 replaced about 2 - 3 months ago. It became so slow I couldn't stand it (it's one that I used a lot). DTV said they couldn't just replace the unit and had to send someone out. The guy came out and replaced the box (he didn't even bother to test the HR-20). He had some kind of handheld device to "close out the work order" and "activate the receiver". He then said he couldn't close the ticket until he "verified" a different receiver and gave me the last 4 digits of the access card. I looked it up on my chart (I have 11 receivers) and it was in an area I preferred he didn't see so I said, no.

He then said he had to call in and get some kind of exemption. After about 10 minutes on the phone he asked me to talk to the lady on the other end... she asked me why I wouldn't let him verify the other receiver. I explained that I didn't want the guy in my house to start with and I'm not going to let him explore looking for another receiver. She started to say something... I hung up and told the guy to leave.

About 2 months ago I got a call from a DTV 'field supervisor' who was "in the area" and asked if he could stop by my house and talk to me. I said no, and my driveway (1/3 mile long) is clearly marked as private and no trespassing. He said that DTV may have to discontinue service if I didn't cooperate. I said, "fine, send me the return boxes, and don't contact me again" and hung up. That's been at least 2 months ago and I've received nothing other than my usual bill.

DTV likes to play all these games and I have no desire to play.

#45 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

I had a HR-20 replaced about 2 - 3 months ago. It became so slow I couldn't stand it (it's one that I used a lot). DTV said they couldn't just replace the unit and had to send someone out. The guy came out and replaced the box (he didn't even bother to test the HR-20). He had some kind of handheld device to "close out the work order" and "activate the receiver". He then said he couldn't close the ticket until he "verified" a different receiver and gave me the last 4 digits of the access card. I looked it up on my chart (I have 11 receivers) and it was in an area I preferred he didn't see so I said, no.

He then said he had to call in and get some kind of exemption. After about 10 minutes on the phone he asked me to talk to the lady on the other end... she asked me why I wouldn't let him verify the other receiver. I explained that I didn't want the guy in my house to start with and I'm not going to let him explore looking for another receiver. She started to say something... I hung up and told the guy to leave.

About 2 months ago I got a call from a DTV 'field supervisor' who was "in the area" and asked if he could stop by my house and talk to me. I said no, and my driveway (1/3 mile long) is clearly marked as private and no trespassing. He said that DTV may have to discontinue service if I didn't cooperate. I said, "fine, send me the return boxes, and don't contact me again" and hung up. That's been at least 2 months ago and I've received nothing other than my usual bill.

No games just protecting itself. You're willing to have them stop your service rather than let a tech run a test on a receiver that is stated to be at the residence. This isn't rational behavior and therefor will raise red flags.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#46 OFFLINE   rgs825

rgs825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:01 AM

. . . He then said he couldn't close the ticket until he "verified" a different receiver and gave me the last 4 digits of the access card. I looked it up on my chart (I have 11 receivers) and it was in an area I preferred he didn't see so I said, no.

That's why I never would put a receiver in my grow house. Never knew when those pesky repairmen would pop round. :lol: :rolling:

I did have one in the "50 Shades of Gray" dungeon though.

#47 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

I've got news for you, you're playing games too.

#48 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

Yep. They need to send authorization to verify the guy is at your house, and that you have the randomly selected unit at your actual subscription address. Nothing wrong with that. I'm surprised the guy didn't ask them to verify using a different receiver if he had given them a decent reason why, like, my wifes sleeping in that room, and we are not waking her up, or something of that nature. Why anyone takes such a ridiculous hard line and is so rude when people are trying to do their jobs correctly is beyond me, especially when it does make sense what they are trying to do.

#49 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

Actually no. The repair guy could not produce a surety bond upon arrival and in hindsight I shouldn't have even let him in my house. In other words there is a very real possibility that his second job is not legitimate.

#50 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

Actually no. The repair guy could not produce a surety bond upon arrival and in hindsight I shouldn't have even let him in my house. In other words there is a very real possibility that his second job is not legitimate.

Wow. His second part was legit, it's normal procedure for all techs to randomly check when the system asks them to.

#51 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

DirecTV makes the tech either run and test from a random pre-selected access card and get a pass number in order to close the work order. If he doesn't get that code, he can't close the job and can't get paid for his work. An agent just verifies that you don't want him in another room and waves it so he can close the job and get paid. If you would have tried to pull that on me your replacement box would have been coming back with me.
No need to be an unreasonable person when somebody is just trying to do their job and following rules.
My posts represent my opinions and do not represent the opinions of directv, any hsp, or anyone else (including the cookie monster)

#52 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

If you would have tried to pull that on me your replacement box would have been coming back with me.
No need to be an unreasonable person when somebody is just trying to do their job and following rules.

The worker was in my house at my discretion. He enjoys no right of any kind to be there... only at my will and desire. He is required by law to be properly licensed, bonded and insured, but this person was unable to present any evidence of being bonded. DirecTV does not have any right, implied or otherwise to inspect anything at my house.

I allowed him in my house for one reason... replace the HR-20. Once that was done he had no further business in my house, and I did not care to take part in a 10 minute conversation with some unknown person at DirecTV. I will not let him inspect anything any more than I would my gardener. Any rituals or obligations imposed upon him by DirecTV are not my concern.

I will only ask someone to leave once... after such request you are guilty of criminal trespass in my state (we also have the castle doctrine). So if he had refused my request to leave the best he could hope for is just a night in jail.

#53 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

Was the box he wanted to see connected to the Internet or a phone line?

#54 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

All I can say is WOW...you really need to chill, and next time do your own self installs. That is appalling behavior on your part, and the sad thing is everyone will recognize it as that except you.

#55 OFFLINE   MrShowtime

MrShowtime

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:58 AM

The worker was in my house at my discretion. He enjoys no right of any kind to be there... only at my will and desire. He is required by law to be properly licensed, bonded and insured, but this person was unable to present any evidence of being bonded. DirecTV does not have any right, implied or otherwise to inspect anything at my house.

I allowed him in my house for one reason... replace the HR-20. Once that was done he had no further business in my house, and I did not care to take part in a 10 minute conversation with some unknown person at DirecTV. I will not let him inspect anything any more than I would my gardener. Any rituals or obligations imposed upon him by DirecTV are not my concern.

I will only ask someone to leave once... after such request you are guilty of criminal trespass in my state (we also have the castle doctrine). So if he had refused my request to leave the best he could hope for is just a night in jail.

Ahh, makes sense now, you are one of those people, greater than the common man. Everyone else is put on this earth to kiss your ass. Rules don't apply to you... understood. You ignore the fact that he has no id badge on because it is convenient to you, but once he's completed the only part of the job that you wanted him to, he's all used up so throw him out, right? Cuz you are king of the world... I would never refuse a request to leave (not that I have ever been asked to leave) especially from someone like you. But until that code is in, and that job is closed... that box is the techs responsibility, so it would be coming with me. Guess who owns those boxes, not you....

#56 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

Ahh, makes sense now, you are one of those people, greater than the common man. Everyone else is put on this earth to kiss your ass. Rules don't apply to you... understood. You ignore the fact that he has no id badge on because it is convenient to you, but once he's completed the only part of the job that you wanted him to, he's all used up so throw him out, right? Cuz you are king of the world... I would never refuse a request to leave (not that I have ever been asked to leave) especially from someone like you. But until that code is in, and that job is closed... that box is the techs responsibility, so it would be coming with me. Guess who owns those boxes, not you....

I assume that once the box was in, the poster did not let him take it out. He had already told him to leave. So the tech probably did the only thing he could have done under those circumstances, and that was to call in and find another way around the problem. At that point, the situation was in D*'s court.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#57 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

I don't know why you'd put yourself in that situation. If the box is installed and the customer tells you to leave, seems to me the best option is to leave and let Directv deal with it rather than tussle for the DVR. Directv can always close his account and make him return the equipment or be charged for it.

Though I'd be shocked if this situation comes up very much.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#58 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

All I can say is WOW...you really need to chill, and next time do your own self installs. That is appalling behavior on your part, and the sad thing is everyone will recognize it as that except you.

All of the wiring, setup, etc. were done as "self install". I didn't personally do it but I had a cabling expert wire the entire house when I built it a few years ago. DirecTV supplied nothing... I even purchased the dish.

I didn't want the guy to come out... DirecTV wouldn't send me a replacement receiver, they said they needed to send a tech out... which I didn't want in the first place.

Someone asked if the receiver he wanted to verify was hooked up to a phone line or internet... yes on the phone line, no to internet.

#59 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

Lots of people don't want a stranger walking around in their house, i can understand that.

#60 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

It sounds like you're a DirecTV installer... if so you really need to have a frank discussion with your employer... you're very misinformed.

Rules do not apply to everyone, but laws do. In this case it was a matter of law, not rule. Any rules DirecTV imposes upon their employees does not apply to me and I am under no obligation to honor them.

If he had attempted to remove anything from my house without my authorizaton he would have spent the night in jail. Regardless of ownership of the receiver I legally lease it. Even if DirecTV were to recognize a technician as having authority to terminate an account (which is highly doubtful that they have any authority of any kind over an account) then there would have to be a charge order issued by a judge to the sheriff of my county giving him the authority to remove the receiver. Just as if you leased a car the lessor cannot come pick up the car at their discretion (there is an agreed upon process to follow).

So to put this as simple as possible... the only remedy DirecTV has regarding the "leased" receivers in my house is civil not criminal. If the technician removed anything from my house without my permission that would be criminal, not civil.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...