Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.6.x: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.6 is available in the App Store now and through updates on your device.

New feature: iPad Multitasking

This app now conforms with Apple's multitasking. Switch apps or even go into standby and you will find the app stays right where you left off. Keep the remote popup live for the next time you need it. VOD or DIRECTV Everywhere content will keep a pause point, but you will need to re-select it.

Improved:

Searching
Suggested searches like those for the receiver are included. You can now see recent searches, edit or clear recent searches, and sort searches to see what is available now.

Support Links
Go to the DIRECTV forum or contact customer service directly from the app. Or, use the DBSTalk app to come here ;)

See the screenshots below for a view of the new features.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2012.08.08 09.31.04.png
  • Screenshot 2012.08.08 09.31.09.png
  • Screenshot 2012.08.08 09.31.34.png
  • Screenshot 2012.08.08 09.31.41.png
  • Screenshot 2012.08.08 09.32.31.png
  • Screenshot 2012.08.08 09.36.02.png
  • Screenshot 2012.08.08 09.36.14.png

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

The ability to multitask is a huge improvement :)

#3 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Great new features! I agree that multitasking is going to be very helpful. No more starting over every time you switch away! :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,971 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

Agreed, multitasking definitely helpful while watching and surfing on the sofa.

#5 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

Huge improvement. Adding multitasking was #1 on my list since day 1. Now if they could only add the ability to manage recordings accross multiple DVR's we would really have somehing! :D
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#6 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

Still no way to dismiss detail in Guide, List View....:(
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,309 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Still no way to dismiss detail in Guide, List View....:(

What do you mean detail?you mean when you touch a program and the little info box pops up? Just press the little info box anywhere and it disappears.

#8 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

All I get is the DirecTV logo when I open the APP. Nothing more, nothing less

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0033.PNG

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,309 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Another thing that is also able to happen with this new release, as more Video On Demand channels are made available to the app, they will just appear, there will not be a need to do any update. The reason they are making all this available in the DIRECTV iPad app is eventually the goal is to have most/all channels Video On Demand available this way, so it will allow you to have one place to come to to get all your Video On Demand, rather than having to use different apps for different channels.

Viacom Video On Demand is coming sometime this fall, and will be accessible outside your home in the same manner that HBO go is!

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,309 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

All I get is the DirecTV logo when I open the APP. Nothing more, nothing less

Try shutting down the app int he task bar and then reopening it.

#11 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Try shutting down the app int he task bar and then reopening it.

I did. It maybe because my iPad is JB. There used to be a message that came up informing you that it will not work if it is JB after it tried logging in.

#12 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

What do you mean detail?you mean when you touch a program and the little info box pops up? Just press the little info box anywhere and it disappears.

Unfortunately that only works in the "normal" view not in "list" view. The two views are selectable via the two little icons at the top of the guide screen. This has been an "inconsistancy" in the UI since day 1.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,309 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

Unfortunately that only works in the "normal" view not in "list" view. The two views are selectable via the two little icons at the top of the guide screen. This has been an "inconsistancy" in the UI since day 1.

It's always worked for me in both views. I'll try again latter.

Edit to add:

Ok, are you talking about the guide or the playlist? If you mean the list view for guide, it works exactly how I would expect it to. By keeping the first box larger and listing all the other things on that channel next to it, it is very easy to tell which channel you are are viewing. The little line across the top is just not as prominent. It also doesn't keep anything else from really showing up on screen, and you can easily still scroll all over the place in either colum.

Edited by inkahauts, 09 August 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

It's always worked for me in both views. I'll try again latter.

Edit to add:

Ok, are you talking about the guide or the playlist? If you mean the list view for guide, it works exactly how I would expect it to. By keeping the first box larger and listing all the other things on that channel next to it, it is very easy to tell which channel you are are viewing. The little line across the top is just not as prominent. It also doesn't keep anything else from really showing up on screen, and you can easily still scroll all over the place in either colum.

List view in the guide. The operation is not consistent with the way the normal view works. It should at least be consistent. After the detail appears I should be able to dismiss the detail and return to the list by clicking anywhere on the detail, just the same way the normal view works. It has never worked correctly/consistently since day 1. And yes it does prevent things from showing up on the screen. Once you have opened the detail it limits the number of items able to be shown on the screen. Again, good UI design should at least be consistent for the user.
Mark

C31, Samsung PN-42A450

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,309 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

List view in the guide. The operation is not consistent with the way the normal view works. It should at least be consistent. After the detail appears I should be able to dismiss the detail and return to the list by clicking anywhere on the detail, just the same way the normal view works. It has never worked correctly/consistently since day 1. And yes it does prevent things from showing up on the screen. Once you have opened the detail it limits the number of items able to be shown on the screen. Again, good UI design should at least be consistent for the user.

I understand what your saying, but I don't think there is a issue with consistency on this. The other times, you have a pop up with other things being hidden underneath it. Here you do not have anything being hidden underneath it. Its not the same situation. And you are right, you loose one, maybe two lines for the channels, but when you are using this guide, you have so many channels there in the first place, and that's also not the focus, the focus is the right column, where you have all that's on that channel. I have a feeling that's why it is the way it is.

I see your point, I just don't see it changing, because I think its different than all the other screens where tapping the info again makes it disappear. I think that if they did that, then the right column would have to disappear too, and then you are just loading and unloading twice as much as needed.

#16 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

I did. It maybe because my iPad is JB. There used to be a message that came up informing you that it will not work if it is JB after it tried logging in.

jailbroken ipads are not supported
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#17 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

Usually you see it attempting to log in and then a message pops up. Now it is simply a logo screen Just checking to see if it was an APP issue or a JB issue.

I'll just wait for the next fix. After each update it usually takes about a couple of days to a few weeks for the update to the tweak that gets around this restriction.

#18 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Usually you see it attempting to log in and then a message pops up. Now it is simply a logo screen Just checking to see if it was an APP issue or a JB issue.

I'll just wait for the next fix. After each update it usually takes about a couple of days to a few weeks for the update to the tweak that gets around this restriction.

Got it working now. ;)

#19 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

I understand what your saying, but I don't think there is a issue with consistency on this. The other times, you have a pop up with other things being hidden underneath it. Here you do not have anything being hidden underneath it. Its not the same situation. And you are right, you loose one, maybe two lines for the channels, but when you are using this guide, you have so many channels there in the first place, and that's also not the focus, the focus is the right column, where you have all that's on that channel. I have a feeling that's why it is the way it is.

I see your point, I just don't see it changing, because I think its different than all the other screens where tapping the info again makes it disappear. I think that if they did that, then the right column would have to disappear too, and then you are just loading and unloading twice as much as needed.

I agree with mj here. I should be able to tap on the details and have that close up so that I can use the entire screen for viewing the Guide List. That would keep functionality consistent between the two views and allows for more information to be viewed at once.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#20 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

Not officially, but there is a jailbreak tweak called xCon that blocks the detection of the jailbreak. The iPad app was working fine on my jailbroken iPad until today.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...