Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.6.x: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   ncfoster

ncfoster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

Be sure the dvrs match online at her account on Directv.com.

I forget the error message, since I am not in front of it, but it seemed to relate more to a connection issue than anything. I will check that, though.

The iPad should show you the dvrs it's seeing. Not sure how you have the receiver connected to the 5Ghz band?

The CCK works on either frequency. I put it on the 5GHz band for the purposes of isolating it, which seemingly hasn't done the trick.

Edit: I also sympathize with supporting new technology with mothers / mother-in-laws. . .

Even more so, it is primarily for the use of someone who is bed-ridden, so they don't have the option of getting up and fussing with things. :(

I had more success putting both my iPad and the CCK in the 2.8 ghz band on my dual-band router (not Belkin). I found that the 5 ghz band was just a little too prone to dead spots and drop offs to be reliable enough overall. Once I got them both on the same band, I've had everything rock solid for a while. Maybe that might help here?

I mostly mentioned the Belkin part just for completeness, but I will take that into account. The access point and both devices are all in one (big and strangely shaped) room, so it doesn't seem like it should be an issue, but it could be.

I've used the wireless CCK on the 5Ghz band from a couple of Linksys dual band routers with dd-wrt firmware and had no problems.

How are your dvrs connected? Swim or ethernet?

I didn't buy the router, but I'm 99% sure that it doesn't support DD-WRT or Tomato. I think I checked that first thing when I saw it.

There is only one DVR, HR20, so no swim. I've told her that if she wants to stick with DirecTV (well outside of contract) that she should ask for a newer model, but we want to make sure that this iPad part works before she commits to them for another 2 years.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,816 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:03 AM

Assuming you can ping both the iPad and the HR20 from a PC on the LAN, it should work. Or get a Ping utility for the iPad and check from there.

Technically you don't need the Wireless CCK if you could get an ethernet cable to the HR from the router. But you can use the CCK as a bridge - on either band, with the ethernet pigtail to the HR20. No Connection on the Coax.

I'd set a static IP on the HR20. Some routers have problems giving DHCP addresses through a wireless hop.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#83 OFFLINE   ncfoster

ncfoster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

Assuming you can ping both the iPad and the HR20 from a PC on the LAN, it should work. Or get a Ping utility for the iPad and check from there.

It isn't that it doesn't work. It is that it doesn't always work. And once it doesn't work, it stays that way.

Technically you don't need the Wireless CCK if you could get an ethernet cable to the HR from the router. But you can use the CCK as a bridge - on either band, with the ethernet pigtail to the HR20. No Connection on the Coax.

Believe me, I sold this option, but she was excited by the free CCK that DirecTV was sending her, even though I said that wired was more reliable, and basically the same thing. Also, while the router and the box are in the same (and I repeat, big) room, there is no logical way to route the wire easily. It would require some ugly work in the basement, among other issues.

I'd set a static IP on the HR20. Some routers have problems giving DHCP addresses through a wireless hop.

I think the IP is already static, but thank you for the thought. The more ideas, the better.

#84 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Some routers have problems giving DHCP addresses through a wireless hop.

I second that.

Before I upgraded to a dual band router, I had an older Linksys that just didn't like to work at all with the CCK. I kept having intermittent issues where the iPad app wouldn't see at least one of the DirecTV boxes that I have, but it would lose sight of different boxes at different times.

After unsuccessfully trying static IPs and other tricks, I noticed that the router kept reassigning different IPs seemingly at random times to the different receivers. The iPad app just couldn't keep up. But it was only the receivers that were having problems; all of my other networked devices were fine

Once I upgraded to the new router, everything has been working great with all settings out of the box. Keeping things in the 2.8 band did help, though.

#85 OFFLINE   rekooper

rekooper

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

I have 2 HR20 boxes connected to my LAn through ethernet. The DirecTV iPad app sees both of these boxes, but the remote functions with only one of them. For the other box, the "Currently Watching" box says the box is "set to block the currently watching from being displayed," and suggests I change the Whole Home "External Device" setting to "allow." Problem is it's already set to allow. The remote used to work fine, and his problem may have started with the new app version. I've tried resetting the box.

Any advice

#86 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,964 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

I have 2 HR20 boxes connected to my LAn through ethernet. The DirecTV iPad app sees both of these boxes, but the remote functions with only one of them. For the other box, the "Currently Watching" box says the box is "set to block the currently watching from being displayed," and suggests I change the Whole Home "External Device" setting to "allow." Problem is it's already set to allow. The remote used to work fine, and his problem may have started with the new app version. I've tried resetting the box.

Any advice

Try toggling that setting. If no joy, reboot the box.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#87 OFFLINE   rekooper

rekooper

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Try toggling that setting. If no joy, reboot the box.

Thanks. I've tried both

#88 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Any advice

Have you tried cold booting the iPad?
Hold down the Power On/Off switch and the Round Home button
at the same time, release both when you see the Apple Logo come up.

#89 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

Also you could try deleting the app and re-installing it. The downside is that any customization you have done to the modules will be lost.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#90 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,850 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Thanks. I've tried both

Make sure you set it to off and then completely exit the menus then go back in and change it back. You may even want I set it to off then reboot and then turn it back on. Also turn off all the external settings not just the one.

#91 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

New streaming channel: BeIN Sport (Spanish version only, requires Spanish package)

Removed streaming channel: GolTV

#92 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

New streaming channel: BeIN Sport (Spanish version only, requires Spanish package)

Removed streaming channel: GolTV

Interesting. GolTV (Spanish audio) added back, works for Sports pack subs. beIN removed.

#93 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

6 more channels for live viewing:

1. BBC America HD (ch. 264)
2. Nat Geo Wild (ch. 283)
3. beIN Sports HD (ch. 620)
4. Turner Classic Movies (ch.256)
5. Starz HD East (ch. 527)
6. Encore HD East (ch. 535)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#94 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,964 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Er, ah..... Sweet!

:lol:

I just got an e-mail re beIN a few minutes ago. Did not see - or just don't recall- if I had been notified on the others via E-mail in the last few weeks.

#95 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Is there anything this does that really requires an iPad? I keep waiting for the iPhone version, but they seem content to limit this to the iPad.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#96 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• Registered
  • 12,964 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Is there anything this does that really requires an iPad? I keep waiting for the iPhone version, but they seem content to limit this to the iPad.

Without reworking the GUI of the app, it'd be awfully crowded, perhaps to the point of being unusable. At least it would for me.

#97 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

I'd like the developers to remember that there are a sizable number of Android tablets in use also.

Dave

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

#98 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Is there a list of all live streaming channels somewhere?

#99 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,816 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Unfortunately, the best list is on the iPad! It gives you the option to add / remove the ones you want.

I just started the app and it had a dialog that new ones were added.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#100 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Nice additions! The iPad app is tiptop.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...