Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.6.x: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Sure hope we can stream recorded programs to the iPad one day.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,399 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

Nice additions! The iPad app is tiptop.

I just wish the Android tablet app was keeping pace... :rolleyes:

#103 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 334 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

You fault for buying a android tablet. (Just Kidding)
Tunce

HR34-700 w/AM21 | HR20-700 | H21-200 | SWiM | Slimline 3
Whole Home - External Antenna

#104 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

Sure hope we can stream recorded programs to the iPad one day.

Why? Why not stream directly from DirecTV's servers via on demand or watch the channels live?

If you really want your recordings get a Nomad or a slingbox/volcano.

I just don't ever see us being able to stream directly from our DVRs to another device. Upload bandwidth would be a big factor, not to mention having a device that can downscale and stream out in realtime, I don't think that any of our current hardware would be able to do that.

But again, why bother. Instead why not have all of the channels get stuff set up like HBO Go/Max Go where almost all of their shows are available on demand and you can just stream them whenever you want. Or for stuff airing live you just watch the live channel streamed.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#105 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

Why? Why not stream directly from DirecTV's servers via on demand or watch the channels live?

I just don't ever see us being able to stream directly from our DVRs to another device. Upload bandwidth would be a big factor, not to mention having a device that can downscale and stream out in realtime, I don't think that any of our current hardware would be able to do that.

But again, why bother. Instead why not have all of the channels get stuff set up like HBO Go/Max Go where almost all of their shows are available on demand and you can just stream them whenever you want. Or for stuff airing live you just watch the live channel streamed.

1) Not all channels are available for streaming.

2) We can stream DVR content now using Direct2PC.

3) Streaming DVR content would allow you to time shift live programming like sporting events. This would be particularly useful for being able to travel throughout the house to rooms without a TV without missing a beat.

This is a highly desired feature, and I'm sure some day it will be available. Until then, a Slingbox would certainly work.

#106 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

1) Not all channels are available for streaming.

This will change as contrracts are renegotiated. Eventually I believe we will see all (or nearly all) channels available for live streaming except maybe locals.

2) We can stream DVR content now using Direct2PC.

That is totally different. That is more like MRV. The HD-DVR is doing the decoding and streaming out the HD signal directly to your computer. I don't think they will ever be able to do that to a portable device. The portable devices just won't have the horsepower to do it, at least not for a while. It takes a pretty decent computer to work well with DirecTV2PC. Not to mention the upload speed you would have to have for it to work streaming from your house to another location.

3) Streaming DVR content would allow you to time shift live programming like sporting events. This would be particularly useful for being able to travel throughout the house to rooms without a TV without missing a beat.

Streaming the channel live accomplishes the same thing.

This is a highly desired feature, and I'm sure some day it will be available. Until then, a Slingbox would certainly work.

I'm not convinced it will.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#107 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Is there anything this does that really requires an iPad? I keep waiting for the iPhone version, but they seem content to limit this to the iPad.

Yes, I'm tired of DirecTv sending e-mails to my iPhone saying I can watch "Everywhere"

#108 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,618 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

Yes, I'm tired of DirecTv sending e-mails to my iPhone saying I can watch "Everywhere"

I believe you can stop such e-mails by going to preferences on their website. How central are you in the great state of Illinois? How far from Chicago?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#109 OFFLINE   zmancartfan

zmancartfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

This will change as contrracts are renegotiated. Eventually I believe we will see all (or nearly all) channels available for live streaming except maybe locals.

That is totally different. That is more like MRV. The HD-DVR is doing the decoding and streaming out the HD signal directly to your computer. I don't think they will ever be able to do that to a portable device. The portable devices just won't have the horsepower to do it, at least not for a while. It takes a pretty decent computer to work well with DirecTV2PC. Not to mention the upload speed you would have to have for it to work streaming from your house to another location.

Streaming the channel live accomplishes the same thing.

I'm not convinced it will.

I would love it if all channels were available for streaming, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I think we'll see an iPad streaming client for DVR content before we'll see things like locals and RSNs available for streaming. It seems to me it would be simpler (and cheaper) for an iPad software application to be written than for DirecTV to invest in the hardware and bandwidth necessary for 700+ channels to stream live. Imagine the carriage fees alone.

As for the MRV statement, I was just countering your argument that we can't stream DVR content to any devices. We can.

Streaming a live channel does not accomplish the same thing as watching DVR content. What if I want to start watching 15 minutes after a sporting event starts? Do you honestly think that ALL programming will be available ever for on-demand viewing especially while it's still in progress?

Technical issues of processor speed aside (you have a good point about that), I still say that streaming DVR content to a tablet is a very highly sought-after service. I think we'll see that capability before we see all channels available for streaming live.

With all that being said, I'd rather be able to stream live programming outside of my home network before getting the ability to stream DVR content.

#110 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

I believe you can stop such e-mails by going to preferences on their website. How central are you in the great state of Illinois? How far from Chicago?

Down far enough to be getting rain from Isaac right now.

I'm happier with my DirecTv/iPhone experience right now. The Direct Remote app is free right now, and is much, much more responsive than my IR DirecTv remote

#111 OFFLINE   awalt

awalt

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:59 AM

My biggest frustration with the DTV app is I cannot watch sports events I am licensed to through DTV and my viewing area. For example, being an Orioles fan, I can watch the Orioles on a local channel and on MASN. Even if I have the TV tuned to that, it will not let me watch it on my iPad. Why would that be?

So then sadly I cannot watch the Os on the MLB app because of territory blackout restrictions.

I am hopeful it's just getting to it in the list and not that they don't intend to provide that capability. Fingers crossed.

#112 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Anyone compare the streaming video between an iPad 3 and iPad 2?

I have an iPad 2 so I'm wondering if the streaming video looks better on an iPad 3 with its retina display, or if it just looks about the same?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#113 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,220 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:34 AM

Pretty much the same.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#114 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Without reworking the GUI of the app, it'd be awfully crowded, perhaps to the point of being unusable. At least it would for me.

That wouldn't be a problem on my Galaxy Note. I wish they'd extend this to Android, since Android is the #1 market share mobile OS!
HR24 - Samsung UN55D8000, HR22 - Panasonic PT-AE7000U, H24 - Samsung HL-S5668W, MRV, Slimline SWM5

#115 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

That wouldn't be a problem on my Galaxy Note. I wish they'd extend this to Android, since Android is the #1 market share mobile OS!

Which android software? That I think is probably the stumbling block, because it seems to be for every developer.

However, I suspect it will happen at some point.

#116 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,618 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:29 PM

Pretty much the same.

Yes. Same number of pixels! If they'd punch up the output a bunch, I think we'd see a nice difference.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#117 OFFLINE   twigster

twigster

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

I'd like the developers to remember that there are a sizable number of Android tablets in use also.

Dave

+40% of mobile market is android based while 25% is iOS. Seems like favoritism. But that's just me. :)

#118 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:43 PM

40% of the tablet market is Android? Wow, I had no idea. Do you have a source for that information?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#119 OFFLINE   RobInMN

RobInMN

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

My main reason for this is that we don't watch anything live except for local news. I really don't have much need for the live streaming at all, and of the channels available I think I care about 1, maybe 2. We will queue up 4, 8, 10 + episodes of a show before getting around to watching it. Even if the show was on VOD at one time, doesn't mean it's still available, and not everything we watch is available on VOD in the first place. I also see no need for my viewing habits to pay for a Nomad device and have it re-transcode a show and actually download it to an iPad or android device and have multiple shows available on that device for watching outside of the house. I just want to stream a show from my DVR to a room that doesn't have a receiver on occasion.

#120 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

40% of the tablet market is Android? Wow, I had no idea. Do you have a source for that information?

And who owns the remaining 35% tablet market?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall