Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad 1.6.x: Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

40% of the tablet market is Android? Wow, I had no idea. Do you have a source for that information?

You know he said mobile market. The word "tablet" and the word "mobile" don't really look that much alike, Stuart.
HR24 - Samsung UN55D8000, HR22 - Panasonic PT-AE7000U, H24 - Samsung HL-S5668W, MRV, Slimline SWM5

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Is it just me or does this latest version seem much slower at picking up everything?

Changing receivers to look at seems to take forever, and when it is first run it takes quite a bit of time to populate the fields on the sections. I don't use it often, but it sure seems that previous versions were quicker.

As to streaming from our DVRs, yes it could be done, Dish has been doing it for a long time.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#123 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

You know he said mobile market. The word "tablet" and the word "mobile" don't really look that much alike, Stuart.

You know he was replying to a post about tablets market share, and this thread is dedicated tablet app. Either way, I'd like or see him post the source of info that says android has a dominant single platform that will work the same across all devices over apple. As I said earlier,there is so much differentiation between what works on what android device vs everything working on all iOS tablets, or not at all.. None of this you have to do this for this device, this for this device, etc.

I hope and pray that android is doing what it looks like they are doing, and moving towards a more uniform system so this fragmentation will end, but who knows...

Till then, I don't think you can find a single android platform that will have a larger market share than an iOS one, so how anyone can say their is favoritism is beyond,e, they made the app for the largest single platform OS system available, and are likely working on making it for many others as well, even if all those others are "android", they are not all the same.

#124 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Is it just me or does this latest version seem much slower at picking up everything?

Yep, also here, makes it almost useless, especially for playlist, it can sit there for minutes with all the spinning circles.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#125 OFFLINE   ssandhoops

ssandhoops

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

If they don't intend to allow live streaming everywhere, then they need an alternate method of verifying you are on your home network. My power is out right now but I've still got Internet because my router is on a battery backup. To make the battery backup last, I've unplugged the dvr which now means I can't stream video because the app is unable to connect to a dvr to verify I'm on my home network.

#126 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

And who owns the remaining 35% tablet market?

- Merg

The mobile market is:
52.2% Android
33.4 % Apple
9.5% RIM
3.6% Microsoft
0.8% Symbian
(although by my math, that leaves 0.5% unaccounted for)

Source Link

#127 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,322 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

But the Android market is fragmented among several devices which requires development and testing among several devices before releasing software to the market.

If you were a developer, would you spend 1 resource for IOS (multiple iPhone and multiple iPad versions) or spend 8+ resources on multiple android devices??

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#128 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

You know he was replying to a post about tablets market share, and this thread is dedicated tablet app.

He wasn't replying to a post about tablets. Twigster's exact post read--

"+40% of mobile market is android based while 25% is iOS. Seems like favoritism. But that's just me."

He never mentioned tablets.
HR24 - Samsung UN55D8000, HR22 - Panasonic PT-AE7000U, H24 - Samsung HL-S5668W, MRV, Slimline SWM5

#129 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

Either way, I'd like or see him post the source of info that says android has a dominant single platform that will work the same across all devices over apple. As I said earlier,there is so much differentiation between what works on what android device vs everything working on all iOS tablets, or not at all.. None of this you have to do this for this device, this for this device, etc..

1) Since this is a "dedicated tablet thread" then I ask you... Is my Galaxy Note a tablet? It has a higher resolution that the original iPad and iPad2.

2) As far as fragmenting of Android, an app that would run on Android 2.3 Gingerbread will also run on any device running 3.0 Honeycomb, 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, and 4.1 Jelly Bean. Higher OSes are backwards compatible.

I don't have the numbers on hand, but if you add up Android users running 2.3 or higher, it is a larger number of users than iOS. So a DirecTV app that would run on 2.3 Gingerbread would qualify as your "dominant single platform that will work the same across all devices."

#130 OFFLINE   BillN96

BillN96

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Sure hope we can stream recorded programs to the iPad one day.

This is one feature that I wish for every time I start the DirecTV app. I would not even care if you could only stream it while your are on your home network like the Direct2PC app or the Live TV feature of the iPad app.

Watching recorded shows from your DVR to the iPad is a must have for me.

#131 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,915 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

The mobile market is:
52.2% Android
33.4 % Apple
9.5% RIM
3.6% Microsoft
0.8% Symbian

It's actually the smartphone mobile market. How quickly have we abandoned regular mobile phones! Curious to know what percentage smartphones make up the entire mobile market. But not so curious as to google it. I am going to guess: less than 50% in the US. Give or take 35%.....:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#132 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

When I go to the movies section or find something on demand in search and tell it to record on Living Rm (HR24) it never records!

It would be nice if it did because then while I'm in another room with the iPad, I could harvest some content and then play it in the room I'm in through MRV.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#133 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hmm I got it to work. Guess you can only do 1 download at a time. Anyway in my bedroom it would be nice to see the download progress meter alongside the downloading icon. I guess you need HR34 and C31's for that.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#134 OFFLINE   KSutherland

KSutherland

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

It would be nice if they had and Android tablet that we could use the same way as the Ipad

#135 OFFLINE   Smidgerine

Smidgerine

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

I hope they'll do a windows 8 app that will run on winRT or regular win8. At least then I can sell my iPad and get out of the whole Apple ecosystem.
2 HR20s
2 HR24s
1 H21
SWM-16
Epson Home Cinema 8500 UB
Epson Home Cinema 8350
2 Epson Home Cinema 400
Panasonic AX200-U
Toshiba Regza 55" 1080p LCD
AntennasDirect DB-8

#136 OFFLINE   YakeVlad

YakeVlad

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Either way, I'd like or see him post the source of info that says android has a dominant single platform that will work the same across all devices over apple. As I said earlier,there is so much differentiation between what works on what android device vs everything working on all iOS tablets, or not at all.. None of this you have to do this for this device, this for this device, etc.

Till then, I don't think you can find a single android platform that will have a larger market share than an iOS one, so how anyone can say their is favoritism is beyond,e, they made the app for the largest single platform OS system available, and are likely working on making it for many others as well, even if all those others are "android", they are not all the same.

Wow....the media and Apple have really done their work well. There are Public perception as you've just voiced in your comments seems to be that there is a ton of fragmentation in Android devices but no fragmentation in iOS devices. Google releases it's numbers on the distribution of active users by OS version whereas Apple does not. Somehow that apparently equates to there is no fragmentation of iOS and everyone is on the same version. As the owner of an iPhone 3G I can tell you first hand not every Apple device is running iOS 5. Apple drew a line in the sand back at iOS 4.1 and said any devices older than an iPhone 3GS or a certain generation of iPhone Touch will not be eligible for future iOS updates. The reasoning was the hardware wasn't powerful enough to meet the performance requirements to run the later versions. The same has been true with manufacturers of Android devices, once something becomes far enough behind in hardware specs they quit providing OS updates for them. Allow me to dispel that falsehood now with actual gathered statistics:

As of March 2012 iOS Distribution was such:

iOS 5.1.0 - 61%
iOS 5.0.1 - 18%
iOS 5.0.0 - 1%
iOS 4.x - 19%
iOS 3.x - 2%

source: Dailyfinance

By April 2012 63.7% of Android users were on Gingerbread (2.3x) and 23% were on Froyo (2.2). That's a slightly higher concentration of users on the same OS version than Apple and 86.7% are on any two versions compared to 80% with iOS. The difference is that the majority of users of iOS are on the latest release whereas Android is a bit more aged. However with version 4.0 bringing both phones and tablets under the same OS that trend is showing signs of more users being on the latest OS versions.

There IS fragmentation in Apple devices and as is the case with Android devices unless you code your app to iOS 4.x, you're app won't work on all Apple devices (19% excluded). When iOS 6 comes out, I'm sure they'll draw another line in the sand and it won't be too long before the 1st Gen iPads end up on the wrong side of that line. As Jasonblair pointed out:

...Higher OSes are backwards compatible.

So the vast majority Android devices (including tablets) will run apps tailored to Gingerbread or Froyo.

Furthermore if you want to make a tablet specific version for iOS to take advantage of that larger screen size...guess what, you have to create another app and code it to do so.

#137 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

Yet for all of that, most developers will develop for iOS first, especially those that want to monetize their app with either an upfront cost or other means.

And yes, the press does give iOS gear a lot of good press and that makes it even more attractive to the developer community. And when it comes to paid apps, iOS is better because there is nearly zero piracy going on. Android has problems with that at the moment.

As for screen sizes, yes you do have to code for different screen sizes if you want your app to look its best, but there are fewer screen sizes and geometry in the iOS devices than in Android devices.

From some friends that do some developement on both platforms, they prefer iOS and will develop first for it.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#138 OFFLINE   YakeVlad

YakeVlad

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Agreed, most developers do an iOS app first. Apple has been very savvy in establishing an ecosystem with a single hardware provider and single OS provider as it has provided them an unique ability to push out uniform updates to all supported devices. It's also allowed 3rd party product manufacturers to develop accessory items which are open to the entire customer base. But, I like the screen size variety offered by Android devices as it allows people select a device which better fits their wants/needs...even if it can cause headaches for developers. I wish Google would tell the carriers that Android is hands off as far as them making custom mods and bloatware, they take forever to release new versions of the OS.

#139 OFFLINE   mutelight

mutelight

Godfather

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

I'd like the developers to remember that there are a sizable number of Android tablets in use also.

Dave

Yes but the problem is there is a sizable amount of fragmentation. With the iPad you only have to worry about two resolutions and two GPUs. Android tablets use all sorts of different resolutions and CPUs. Then you have a combination of Honeycomb, ICS, and Jelly Bean on top of that.
HR22-100 50" Panasonic V10 Plasma 1080p (networked)
HR22-100 108" Panasonic AE4000 1080p (networked)
H21-100 65" Panasonic VT30 (networked)

Sirius Stiletto 2 (Premium Web)
..::Main Theater Room Pictures::..

#140 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,322 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Scheduling a recording of an NFL game from the Sports page doesn't ask about adding an additional amount of time.

Scheduling from the guide does.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

spam firewall