Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Warning: Panny Plasmas have loose screws

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

yeah.. the "local" Panny/ Pioneer guy is desperately unrelieable. ( a few years I took a pioneer receiver to the place to see if he could make the radio receiver part work. He pulled it apart and said to me.. I don't understand, where are the speakers..? ) that's when I knew the local factory panny/Pioneer guy was totally and completely out of the rhelm of radios that occurred after 1961.. I think he was looking for tubes..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

speaking of which.. how can I get a plasma into my house to see if its useable or not.. for what I want , I can cut my price in half.. or close to it if it works..

#23 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,687 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

speaking of which.. how can I get a plasma into my house to see if its useable or not.. for what I want , I can cut my price in half.. or close to it if it works..

Open the door to your house. Bring plasma into your house. Close dooor behind you. Set plasma on stand and make cable connections. Plug plasma power cord into electrical outlet. Turn plasma on. Perform usablity test......Any questions? :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

You'd have to explain what you want to do better than you have.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

It's certainly worth a phone call but unless there has been a recall, I've rarely seen a manufacture offer to fix something that isn't broken. It does happen, just not often. Realize that even though your TV developed the problem, Rich, along with the others fixed by the tech, the majority of sets haven't developed the buzz. These manufacturers didn't get wealthy by doing preventive maintenance.

I have a feeling that if you call up and say you're hearing buzzing noises from the TV you'll get it fixed. It's gonna buzz sometime. Those lock-nuts are really necessary. It's an easy fix, my son and I could do it in less than a half hour now that I've seen it done once. All it takes is a screwdriver and a pack of lock-nuts. And Kevlar gloves.

For example, if my TV goes permanently red and I can't fix it, it is most likely toast. I certainly would explore a bit further the possibility of fixing it but my nearest service center is 150 miles away. Do I want to spend $80 in gas for two trips to the service center, plus whatever their estimate refusal charge is, probably around $100, just to find out it can't be fixed for a reasonable amount?

This set is only eight months old. I couldn't justify dumping it (I did come close, tho) and buying a new one. If I were you, I'd be delighted at the prospect of shopping for a new TV. I am sorry I didn't get the 65" model, which has the same problem with the lock-nuts.

In that case, I'd probably just buy a new TV. I agree with Steve: it would probably be a new Panasonic. They have some new engineers from Pioneer that have brought some technology with them that seems to be quite good. I saw Panasonic's new 65" in a buddy's home and it looked tremendous.

I've looked and looked at TVs and, aside from a couple of Sony 240Hz LCDs, I saw none that I'd consider buying. I just keep going back to the Panny plasmas. When we were staying at the beach the place we stayed at had just installed new Panny LCD sets in all the condos. The reviews on them are right...they are terrible, if that one in the condo is truly reflective of their line of LCDs.

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,592 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

I've looked and looked at TVs and, aside from a couple of Sony 240Hz LCDs, I saw none that I'd consider buying. I just keep going back to the Panny plasmas.

I still haven't seen another display that beats my calibrated 65S1, and that was their "bargain" set at the time. I checked recently, and after almost 2.5 years, I've still got almost Kuro-like black levels (.08 candelas vs. .03), and with the right source material, shows look almost 3D.

Since we have grandkids, I found one of the best PQ "showcase" recordings is the first 10 or 15 minutes of any episode of Sesame Street. It's like they're in the room with you, and the memory colors are spot-on.
/steve

#27 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

This was a most entertaining thread.

I wonder tho, If the buzz was caused by vibration, the vibration would come from the internal speakers, yes?

How do you { Rich} play your audio? through the tv speakers or an audio system?

I use a avr 98% of the time. Believe me, if I could get Panasonic to do preventative medicine, I would. But Spock is right, they won't.

I just looked at a sea of tv's at wallyworld the other day, and an older panny plasma [ I think it was a 720p] was right next to a new LED [ I forget the brand, could have been an LG] The older panny still looked better, IMO. I'm hooked.

The only regret I have at this point is I should have gone to a 55". I originally had a 46 in my head when I first started looking, my family thought I bought too big at 50, Lesson here: Don't listen to your family, listen to that little voice in your head!

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

This was a most entertaining thread.

I wonder tho, If the buzz was caused by vibration, the vibration would come from the internal speakers, yes?

How do you { Rich} play your audio? through the tv speakers or an audio system?

I use a avr 98% of the time. Believe me, if I could get Panasonic to do preventative medicine, I would. But Spock is right, they won't.

I just looked at a sea of tv's at wallyworld the other day, and an older panny plasma [ I think it was a 720p] was right next to a new LED [ I forget the brand, could have been an LG] The older panny still looked better, IMO. I'm hooked.

The only regret I have at this point is I should have gone to a 55". I originally had a 46 in my head when I first started looking, my family thought I bought too big at 50, Lesson here: Don't listen to your family, listen to that little voice in your head!

The buzz was from the whole board vibrating as the colors changed. White caused the most vibration. Nothing came thru my AV system.

Yeah, bigger is always better. I'm still regretting not buying that 65" model. I just measured wrong. Have plenty of space for an even bigger model. A mistake I won't make again.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

OK, so your saying color changes caused the vibration that loosened the screws with no lock washers.

Great.

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

OK, so your saying color changes caused the vibration that loosened the screws with no lock washers.

Great.

Yeah, I didn't get it at first but the guy explained it pretty well and put up a series of color bars and the vibrations increased as the colors got closer to white. I watched it happen.

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Were I you, I'd be calling Panasonic's Concierge service and getting lock-nuts put on that board before it starts buzzing. Thing almost drove me nuts.

Short drive.

Rich

Hope you'r around today! [ this is a big "oh,oh"]

I was cleaning around my 50"ST30 today and [ gulp] It's there.

It only had a faint [ hum] when I first got it, you could only hear it from the back of the tv. It's noticeable now, upper and mid left side. I'm guessing the buzz is telegraphing down the left.

How far away were you when you heard it? It seems about 2 to 3 feet from the front for me,[ more when you are off to the left side] and yes, when the picture is dark, it's not as noisy, but when more light is shown the buzz increases.

I need a little hand holding as I've never had to contact them for anything, and my warranty will be up in about three weeks.:eek2:

What info do they need? I'm quite sure I registered it online when I bought it.
I don't have to fax anything, do I? Is the concierge number 1-877 958-4372?Did you call early or late in the day? I'm guessing not over the weekend? Anything else you can think of? I never did any internet update to my TV, did they ask you that? [ I read somewhere that is something they ask, but this is not an update issue] I've also read some horror stories about CS, I'm getting worried just thinking about this.

Help!
Chris

So much for my vibration theory!

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hope you'r around today! [ this is a big "oh,oh"]

I was cleaning around my 50"ST30 today and [ gulp] It's there.

It only had a faint [ hum] when I first got it, you could only hear it from the back of the tv. It's noticeable now, upper and mid left side. I'm guessing the buzz is telegraphing down the left.

That's it. The board in question is on the left side as you face the screen.

How far away were you when you heard it? It seems about 2 to 3 feet from the front for me,[ more when you are off to the left side] and yes, when the picture is dark, it's not as noisy, but when more light is shown the buzz increases.

As you get a "whiter" picture the board will get louder. It will decrease as the picture gets darker.

I need a little hand holding as I've never had to contact them for anything, and my warranty will be up in about three weeks.:eek2:

What info do they need? I'm quite sure I registered it online when I bought it.
I don't have to fax anything, do I? Is the concierge number 1-877 958-4372?Did you call early or late in the day? I'm guessing not over the weekend? Anything else you can think of? I never did any internet update to my TV, did they ask you that? [ I read somewhere that is something they ask, but this is not an update issue] I've also read some horror stories about CS, I'm getting worried just thinking about this.

Help!
Chris

So much for my vibration theory!

You need the receipt, you only have a year's warranty, the Concierge Service is aware of this problem, so you don't have to worry about getting it serviced quickly. Don't remember when I called, I went to Panny's website and got the info I needed and made the call, the number's on the website. There hasn't been an update released yet, but the Tech that came out had an SD card with an update on it and installed it as courtesy. The whole job took much less than a half hour.

If you don't get it fixed it will just get louder, best to do it ASAP.

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Great.

Just reread this post and I can see where it does sound a bit wacky. But now you know...

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,724 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

Rich:

Fixed your original post heading:

Warning: Panny Plasma owners have loose screws

OK...it's a pun/joke. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#35 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

Just reread this post and I can see where it does sound a bit wacky. But now you know...

Rich

Thanks for the reply, I called panasonic earlier today and got "tech support" . The actual "concierge number" doesn't exist according to the tech [ they have to put you through] and had to go through some hoops, [ shutting off speakers from menu, disconecting the HDMI cable from receiver, etc.] but I got a case number, and they tried to put me through to concierge but it was busy. The tech said I needed my reciept and to call the service tech, but I told him I thought the concierge had to do that?:confused:
So he told me to call back later to reach concierge service. So, did you set up the service call, or did the concierge service do it for you?

That update you got would be nice, do you remember what it was for?

I can't thank you enough for this thread, as my warranty is getting close to expiring.

I talked to the service rep before I called Panny and he was familiar with the problem [ He was very pleasant] I also asked how much a standard service call would cost once the warranty is up, and he gave me an approximate $300.00 parts and labor.
So now I'm looking at a 3 year[ extended] from Panny for 360$. The service rep did indicate to me, however, that Panasonic, in his experience, does not have alot of issues. So it's still a crap shoot buying the warranty, although one service call would pay for the warranty. The warranty has to be purchased before my manufacturer warranty is up however, so I have a couple of weeks to decide. UGH.

#36 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

Since I bought my first Panny plasma in '07, I've had noise problems with two of them. The first one I bought at Costco and returned it, this one I had fixed. So, in total, I've had nine Panny plasmas and had problems with two of them. Not a good batting average and not a good track record, but the Tech who was here yesterday did say that the Panny plasmas are the best TVs he's seen and have the least problems. Best I've seen or I wouldn't have bought so many.

Rich

The costco TV you returned, did you exchange it for another? I saw a panny at Sam's that could be a real good deal, can I assume these club tv's are OK?
It's a 2012 model, just not their higher end. [ about 500$ cheaper than my st30, no 3D, or internet connection, but I never use those features now on the st30, so who cares?] I've been looking for a replacement for my bedroom crt for months now, this might be it, even though it's a 50"- I guess panasonic didn't make anything smaller this year- and the inputs are limited.[only 2 hdmi's,etc. I would have to look around for a used avr with a optical in as well.

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for the reply, I called panasonic earlier today and got "tech support" . The actual "concierge number" doesn't exist according to the tech [ they have to put you through] and had to go through some hoops, [ shutting off speakers from menu, disconecting the HDMI cable from receiver, etc.] but I got a case number, and they tried to put me through to concierge but it was busy. The tech said I needed my reciept and to call the service tech, but I told him I thought the concierge had to do that?:confused:
So he told me to call back later to reach concierge service. So, did you set up the service call, or did the concierge service do it for you?

I went thru that, now that you reminded me, and I got transferred to the Concierge Service and everything went smoothly. The CS CSR set up the Tech's visit and assured me that it was a known problem and that the Tech would have the parts needed to repair the TV (parts turned out to be several lock washers).

That update you got would be nice, do you remember what it was for?

Had something to do with the colors. Took me a few days to get back to a good picture, since then the PQ's been good.

I can't thank you enough for this thread, as my warranty is getting close to expiring.

Did you use a credit card to buy the TV. If you did you might want to give them a call (the credit card people) and see if using your card extends the warranty.

I talked to the service rep before I called Panny and he was familiar with the problem [ He was very pleasant] I also asked how much a standard service call would cost once the warranty is up, and he gave me an approximate $300.00 parts and labor.

To put on several lock washers? Something that was their mistake in the first place?

So now I'm looking at a 3 year[ extended] from Panny for 360$. The service rep did indicate to me, however, that Panasonic, in his experience, does not have alot of issues. So it's still a crap shoot buying the warranty, although one service call would pay for the warranty. The warranty has to be purchased before my manufacturer warranty is up however, so I have a couple of weeks to decide. UGH.

Crap shoot at best. I've bought 9 Panny plasmas since 2007 and only the one I bought from Costco had a problem (aside from the one we're talking about) and I quickly brought it back. They only allow for 90 day returns now. Went to another store and got the same model for hundreds less and that one is still rolling along. The rest of them are fine. Don't know if I'd get the warranty, that's a personal choice. I've still got my Amex extended warranty on the TV I had the problem with and that's good for another year come December.

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

The costco TV you returned, did you exchange it for another? I saw a panny at Sam's that could be a real good deal, can I assume these club tv's are OK?

I think Sam's still has the "anytime" warranty on TVs, not sure, I don't like Sam's and they give everyone a hard time when returning big items. What you've got to watch at Sam's and Costco is the model numbers. If they're slightly different from the normal model numbers, you can bet some features are missing. I don't buy TVs from them anymore.

It's a 2012 model, just not their higher end. [ about 500$ cheaper than my st30, no 3D, or internet connection, but I never use those features now on the st30, so who cares?] I've been looking for a replacement for my bedroom crt for months now, this might be it, even though it's a 50"- I guess panasonic didn't make anything smaller this year- and the inputs are limited.[only 2 hdmi's,etc. I would have to look around for a used avr with a optical in as well.

I've got a 50" in my bedroom and another bedroom and they're a perfect fit. If I remember correctly, that 50" you're looking at has something off on its resolution compared to the ST30s, so you won't get the same PQ.

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,701 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Rich:

Fixed your original post heading:

Warning: Panny Plasma owners have loose screws

OK...it's a pun/joke. :D

Loose screws and thermal heating devices.... :lol:

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

I think Sam's still has the "anytime" warranty on TVs, not sure, I don't like Sam's and they give everyone a hard time when returning big items. What you've got to watch at Sam's and Costco is the model numbers. If they're slightly different from the normal model numbers, you can bet some features are missing. I don't buy TVs from them anymore.

I've got a 50" in my bedroom and another bedroom and they're a perfect fit. If I remember correctly, that 50" you're looking at has something off on its resolution compared to the ST30s, so you won't get the same PQ.

Rich

?
It's a TC50PU54 which someone [ on AVS] translated into a TCP50U50.

Problem is, ST's are now history, and if you can find one the price is more than what I paid for mine new last year.

Well, that's a bummer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...