Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Warning: Panny Plasmas have loose screws

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

?
It's a TC50PU54 which someone [ on AVS] translated into a TCP50U50.

Problem is, ST's are now history, and if you can find one the price is more than what I paid for mine new last year.

Well, that's a bummer.

Just looked at the specs for the TC50PU54 and they look OK. But the TCP50U50 looks like it has the same specs and it is much cheaper. See this Link.

Both look like they would be good. Remember the line that says "Costco extends the manufacturer's warranty to two years" only works if you buy it with an Amex card which will do the same thing no matter where you buy it. The only difference that I know of is Costco handles the Concierge Service for you. If you buy it somewhere else, you have to call the CS yourself the first year and Amex the second year. And Costco does have that 90 day return.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

[[QUOTE]QUOTE=Rich;3097422]That's it. The board in question is on the left side as you face the screen.[/QUOTE]

That's the "A" board, and when the tech showed up Friday, he said 3 of the screws were loose. I helped turn the tv around, but he declined help with the back panel. He knew they can be sharp-edged. I watched anyway, to see what it looked like inside. Oh, and by the way, he also replaced the screws on the board on the right side as well, per panasonic's instructions. Thought you should know.

[QUOTE]As you get a "whiter" picture the board will get louder. It will decrease as the picture gets darker[/QUOTE].

Back to the normal hum when you stick your head behind tv.

You need the receipt, you only have a year's warranty, the Concierge Service is aware of this problem, so you don't have to worry about getting it serviced quickly. Don't remember when I called, I went to Panny's website and got the info I needed and made the call, the number's on the website. [QUOTE]There hasn't been an update released yet, but the Tech that came out had an SD card with an update on it and installed it as courtesy[/QUOTE]. The whole job took much less than a half hour.

If you don't get it fixed it will just get louder, best to do it ASAP.

Rich[/QUOTE]

I got the firmware update [ apparently there's only one] and I totally forgot to write down my settings, so I've been playing with it for the last few days [ update takes it back to factory settings, which according to the service tech most people use ?????? hard to believe......]

One thing he did mention, in his experience, plasma's seem to last longer than LCD's and are easier to repair. Just thought I'd pass that on.

Thanks again:)

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

[

That's the "A" board, and when the tech showed up Friday, he said 3 of the screws were loose. I helped turn the tv around, but he declined help with the back panel. He knew they can be sharp-edged. I watched anyway, to see what it looked like inside. Oh, and by the way, he also replaced the screws on the board on the right side as well, per panasonic's instructions. Thought you should know.

Back to the normal hum when you stick your head behind tv.

You need the receipt, you only have a year's warranty, the Concierge Service is aware of this problem, so you don't have to worry about getting it serviced quickly. Don't remember when I called, I went to Panny's website and got the info I needed and made the call, the number's on the website. . The whole job took much less than a half hour.

If you don't get it fixed it will just get louder, best to do it ASAP.

Rich

I got the firmware update [ apparently there's only one] and I totally forgot to write down my settings, so I've been playing with it for the last few days [ update takes it back to factory settings, which according to the service tech most people use ?????? hard to believe......]

One thing he did mention, in his experience, plasma's seem to last longer than LCD's and are easier to repair. Just thought I'd pass that on.

Thanks again:)

Glad it worked. Yeah, that update screwed up my picture for a while too. Being almost terminally lazy, it took me a week or so of watching a crappy picture to finally work up the energy to spend the ten minutes it took to get my good picture back. Next hum I hear, I'll be in the back of that sucker and I'll put the lock washers on myself. Wearing heavy gloves, of course.

This sounds like a simple job anyone with a little knowledge of tools could do, but if you don't take a lot of care with that back cover, you'll be in the emergency room getting stitches. That back cover has edges that are, literally, razor sharp. The Tech who fixed my set was in the ER twice (I think that's what he said) for severe cuts from the back cover.

In short, it's an easy fix, but great care must be taken with that hideously sharp back cover.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Rich,

Do you use your own settings, or did you find them on the internet?

I mean, 10 minutes? [ you must have written them down :lol:]

I forgot to mention, the tech brought screws that panasonic sent him, they were longer than original with the lock washers. In case you need to do your own surgery on it. [ hope not]

cheers

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

Rich,

Do you use your own settings, or did you find them on the internet?

I do it myself. I'll PM you the settings as soon as I get straightened out.

I mean, 10 minutes? [ you must have written them down :lol:]

I didn't know the Tech was gonna screw up the set with that update or I would have taken a picture of the settings.

I forgot to mention, the tech brought screws that panasonic sent him, they were longer than original with the lock washers. In case you need to do your own surgery on it. [ hope not]

Now that you mention it, I do remember him taking out screws and lock washers. Should be able to get the proper screws if needed. Still have well over a year in warranty (Amex add on warranty included in that).

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

I didn't know the Tech was gonna screw up the set with that update or I would have taken a picture of the settings.

Now that you mention it, I do remember him taking out screws and lock washers. Should be able to get the proper screws if needed. Still have well over a year in warranty (Amex add on warranty included in that).

Rich

What model and size do you have?
DTV = Digital Television

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

What model and size do you have?

My OP shows the model and size, would have been foolish not to put them in the OP. Save you time, it's a 60" TC-P60ST30.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

My OP shows the model and size, would have been foolish not to put them in the OP. Save you time, it's a 60" TC-P60ST30.

Rich

On my phone...too lazy to skip back. Thanks.
DTV = Digital Television

#49 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Now that you mention it, I do remember him taking out screws and lock washers. Should be able to get the proper screws if needed.

Still have well over a year in warranty (Amex add on warranty included in that).

Rich

checked my CC, made the call, they said it was covered, but procedure is different. Have to get a quote for the repair, if they approve it [ can't be more than the value of the tv] I pay the repair tech, then get re-imbursed from them. [ they said they would re-imburse the service call for the quote too]
More hassle, but better than nothing, or, paying 365$ for a "panasonic" extended warranty[ 2year I believe]:(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...