Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BCM7038 - HDTV PVR Chip from Broadcom

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zlevine

zlevine

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 07:53 AM

Doing some internet engineering and Broadcom announced at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics show (http://www.prnewswir... 2004, 08:01 AM) an HDTV PVR chip.

Per chance, is that chip in the PVR 921?

If not I have a feeling HDTV PVR prices will plummet given this new chip.

Regards,
Mark

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Doody

Doody

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 09:55 AM

imo, dvr prices are going to approach zero within the next two years. murdoch is apparently planning to use them as sales tools to sign up new DTV customers now that he's running the show. the cable companies are apparently thinking similarly. the logical extension of this thinking is that eventually your tuner (cable, satellite, ota, etc.) will simply have time-shifting and recording capabilities, and it'll have minimal to no up-front fee and the providers will collect value over time - just like cell phones and cable now and old telco service and anything else with a non-trivial monthly fee.

given some of the specifically problematic (for me) shortcomings of the 921, i have a tough time shelling out a grand for it myself.

once they've got a DirecTiVo unit going that does HD, i can't imagine the promotions they're going to run to pull DISH subscribers away. murdoch isn't likely to "play nice".

doody.

#3 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:15 AM

Doing some internet engineering and Broadcom announced at the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics show (http://www.prnewswir... 2004, 08:01 AM) an HDTV PVR chip.

Per chance, is that chip in the PVR 921?

If not I have a feeling HDTV PVR prices will plummet given this new chip.

Regards,
Mark

The Broadcom chips currently used have been around for about 3 years. Its unlikely the can easily switch unless the chip is so compatible with the previous chip sets that the one chip can be plugged in where the multiple chips were and everything else continues to work without modification. Note that its said that the same chips in the 921 are in the DirecTivo sets.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:28 AM

I doubt prices will plummet. This chip probably would save at most $100 in the 921/HD-TIVO. Don't forget these machines are essentially PCs. There is a ton of other hardware in there.

#5 OFFLINE   zlevine

zlevine

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:40 AM

Thank you all for your sage advice. I keep trying to fight Moore's Law and haven't won a round yet starting with my purchase of an Apple IIe for $3000 (in 1984 dollars).

I'm scheduled to take delivery next Friday. After all it's only money.

Mark

spam firewall