Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What happend to my HR34!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

No I am not kidding. The fact is that very few are seeing your issue...

Okay, I'll admit that at this point I'm just throwing numbers out there, but assuming a 5% HR34 penetration rate (which may be somewhat low) of the 20,000,000 or so domestic DIRECTV subscribers, and a 5% NR-issue-affected rate (which I also suspect is somewhat low), that equates to almost 50,000 affected subscribers. Even given those admittedly wild assumptions, I would suggest that "very few" is most definitely in the eye of the nay-sayer.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,089 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Take the discussion to the CE forum... Should be easy to prove.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#83 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Okay, I'll admit that at this point I'm just throwing numbers out there, but assuming a 5% HR34 penetration rate (which may be somewhat low) of the 20,000,000 or so domestic DIRECTV subscribers, and a 5% NR-issue-affected rate (which I also suspect is somewhat low), that equates to almost 50,000 affected subscribers. Even given those admittedly wild assumptions, I would suggest that "very few" is most definitely in the eye of the nay-sayer.

Get real. Quit quoting numbers that you have no idea are correct.

#84 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

Get real. Quit quoting numbers that you have no idea are correct.

Other than you, I didn't "quote" anything, and you're the one who used the term "very few." The very small fractions I used in my calculations seem quote reasonable to me, but if they're not to you, feel free to provide your own substantiation as to what equates to the "very few" who have been affected by this NR issue, so you can "get real." :rolleyes:

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#85 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

50,000 affected- Do you really believe that? ??

I believe this thread has run its course,

#86 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

50,000 affected- Do you really believe that? ??

No, I actually believe it's somewhat more than that, but given that the NR has just recently gone wild, the DIRECTV phones have just begun to ring. But, again, feel free to prove me wrong.

In any event, whatever the actual numbers (and I still believe mine are low), this issue is quite big enough that DIRECTV will likely be fixing it rather quickly. You seem to be hoping otherwise.

#87 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

Well its not the cable. With the DVR off but recording, if I turn on the TV its pink on HDMI 1. Switched it to HDMI 2, pink. Both tied to the HR34. HDMI #2 with my sony Blu0ray is fine. HDMI #3 with my Apple TV, fine.

It's the HR34 folks, not the cable.

Now, when I turn on the HR34 while recording, nothing is pink. I will wait until tomorrow to see if its pink after turning on the HR34, when its not recording.

Did forward a test to a member her to forward to DIRECTV to help solve it.
This is beyond a "bug" IMO and everything was fine until the update.

Actually it's really all about Hollywood and their paranoia. DIRECTV could make it work and leave it alone if they didn't have to worry about hdcp and all that jazz. By being forced to tweak their hdmi compliance to make sure it works right, they run into issues, because some tvs may not be perfect to teh latest hdcp compliant junk. Then the question is, is the issue because it's not outputting to spec, or because what it's seeing front he tv isn't what is to spec for hdcp and so on. So many freaking variables.

And Hollywood wants all component outputs limited to nothing but 480 on blu ray players by the end of the year (it's coming, so unplug your blu rays form the net if your using component now so that you don't get any software updates) and if they had their way, on all devices as well. I am sure someday that will happen.

#88 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

Its back gain. But if I leave the TV on and just turn the DVR on and off, it now will sync back. This I can handle for a bit.

Edited by gio12, 11 August 2012 - 03:19 PM.

#89 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

this sound stupid but it a long story before i even known about this problem i brought a new TV, it's should be here in 2 weeks, let's see if help, i know it's a long shot

#90 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

this sound stupid but it a long story before i even known about this problem i brought a new TV, it's should be here in 2 weeks, let's see if help, i know it's a long shot

As this issue affects what appears to be only a small percentage of certain HR34/TV combinations, your likelihood of experiencing it on a different brand/model TV is probably rather small. Good luck.

#91 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

No I am not kidding. The fact is that very few are seeing your issue and many are happy with the software improvements.

I hope that DTV addresses your issue in the coming weeks and not months but the facts are what they are.

This release has been a disaster for you but not for everyone.

We all feel your pain and hope you can get it resolved.

How do you know? I would not use this forum as a gage. Unless you are a csr with D* you have zero clue.

#92 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Same thing happening to me. It only happens when I turn on the tv and HR34. It goes away when I change the channel. Comes back again when I power off/on.

#93 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:26 AM

50,000 affected subscribers.

I needed a good joke this morning.?. ?

#94 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

How do you know? I would not use this forum as a gage. Unless you are a csr with D* you have zero clue.

What I do know is this does not affect 50,000 subscribers. That number was pulled out of the air and is "quite absurd" (remembering that we are a family friendly forum, I can't say what I really think).

I wish the affected op all the luck in getting his issue fixed.

#95 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

It doesn't make much sense to say everyone with an HR34 is affected. I don't have this issue on my HR34. Other than a very rare pink flash as my TV first turns on I don't have this problem.

IOW, just because someone has an HR34 doesn't mean they have this issue so you can't really say how many are affected.

Why do some have this problem and some don't? I don't have a clue. :shrug:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#96 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

FWIW, I've had an HR34 for 6 months. Its connected to a Sony TV via HDMI and have never experienced the pink issue. Likely to be an interesting challenge for Direct engs.

#97 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

I've never experienced that pink screen on my HR34. I'm on the 0x057C release and I have a Panasonic Plasma and a Samsung LCD connected to it. I'm using 3 HDMI cables that are 24AWG and a powered splitter to handle this set up. Knock on wood, but I've never had that pink screen appear on either flat screen.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#98 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

It doesn't make much sense to say everyone with an HR34 is affected. I don't have this issue on my HR34. Other than a very rare pink flash as my TV first turns on I don't have this problem.

IOW, just because someone has an HR34 doesn't mean they have this issue so you can't really say how many are affected.

Why do some have this problem and some don't? I don't have a clue. :shrug:

Mike

I don't see where anyone said that "everyone with an HR34 is affected."

In fact, what I said was that assuming only a 5% HR34 penetration rate, and if only 5% of those HR34s were affected, that number would equate to 50,000 affected HR34/TV installations, which is one quarter of one percent (.25%) of the overall installed base. Is that figure too high? Okay, let's halve it to only one eighth of one percent (.125%) and that still equates to 25,000 affected units. Or, again, halve that to one sixteenth of one percent (.0625%), which, to me, is a ridiculously low percentage, and that's still 12,500 affected units.

The bottom line is that when you are dealing with such a large subscriber base, even tiny percentages equate to relatively large numbers.

Oh, and if you are seeing a "pink screen" at any time, you are, indeed, affected, just not to the degree that others seem to be. Lucky you.

#99 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

let me ask this, to bring up another problem for anyone have the pink problem does your HBO have the HDCP problem? but just shutting off the receiver the HDCP problem goes away

#100 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

I don't see where anyone said that "everyone with an HR34 is affected."

In fact, what I said was that assuming only a 5% HR34 penetration rate, and if only 5% of those HR34s were affected, that number would equate to 50,000 affected HR34/TV installations, which is one quarter of one percent (.25%) of the overall installed base. Is that figure too high? Okay, let's halve it to only one eighth of one percent (.125%) and that still equates to 25,000 affected units. Or, again, halve that to one sixteenth of one percent (.0625%), which, to me, is a ridiculously low percentage, and that's still 12,500 affected units.

The bottom line is that when you are dealing with such a large subscriber base, even tiny percentages equate to relatively large numbers.

Oh, and if you are seeing a "pink screen" at any time, you are, indeed, affected, just not to the degree that others seem to be. Lucky you.

There is a part of your numbers that is missing. This appears to be related to the tvs they are connected to, so you have to add this in as well. So if only a small % of the people with hr34s have the specific tvs connected via hdmi as well, you could easily see this affecting only a few hundred people to a couple thousand of people, if that many. I also think your assuming a lot more HR34 are out there in the first place than are actually in people's homes, but who knows. Either way,I'd bet the tv is a major limiting factor to how many people are seeing this issue.

A for your second part, many different things can cause different issues that appear very similar. So if you are seeing a pink screen on a restart, that's not neccessarily caused by the same thing that is causing this paticular issue for people when their units come up to live tv and they have a pink screen. In fact it's likely a different issue, although in the same family, otherwise again, more people would be affected.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...