Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What happend to my HR34!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Gio12, curious, what model of Panasonic Plasma do you have?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Gio12, curious, what model of Panasonic Plasma do you have?

Panasonic plasma (TC-P50G10)

#103 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

There is a part of your numbers that is missing. This appears to be related to the tvs they are connected to...

There's nothing missing.

...you could easily see this affecting only a few hundred people to a couple thousand of people, if that many...

Technically, everyone with this NR is affected, but it's just the lucky few who have to deal with the most severe symptom, that being the pick screen upon power up, and it is to those lucky few to whom I am referring.

I also think your assuming a lot more HR34 are out there in the first place than are actually in people's homes, but who knows. Either way,I'd bet the tv is a major limiting factor to how many people are seeing this issue.

You think 5% of households with HR34s it too large a number? Change it. You think that 5% of those HR34 households as being affected is too great a percentage? Change it. Use whatever numbers you feel is reasonable, which is what I did.

So if you are seeing a pink screen on a restart...

The pink screen on restart and the pink screen on power up are directly related. Eliminate the restart pink screen and the power-up issue will cease to exist.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#104 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:15 PM

There's nothing missing.

Technically, everyone with this NR is affected, but it's just the lucky few who have to deal with the most severe symptom, that being the pick screen upon power up, and it is to those lucky few to whom I am referring.

You think 5% of households with HR34s it too large a number? Change it. You think that 5% of those HR34 households as being affected is too great a percentage? Change it. Use whatever numbers you feel is reasonable, which is what I did.

The pink screen on restart and the pink screen on power up are directly related. Eliminate the restart pink screen and the power-up issue will cease to exist.

I disagree. You cannot at all say that every receiver has a problem. You don't even know that there actually is something wrong with the programing on dvrs side in the first place. It could be that they simply have to make adjustments to what is correct to make it more flexible for outlier tvs that are close to spec but not quite right. Hdcp is a pain for all involved and also seems to be a bit of a moving target as updates to all things hit.

And while the two issues may be somewhat related simply because they both appear to be related to hdmi and syncing, they are not mutually exclusive at all, which means they could be caused by two totally separate things. Otherwise everyone that has ever seen the pink screen on restart would see the pink screen all the time like others have. Therefore fixing one may or may not fix the other.

#105 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

I find the conjecture interesting.

I know how frustrating the pink screens are, I used to have them back in the early days of HR20.

I also know how frustrating it is when you feel you're not being listened to, that your concerns are just as valid as anyone else's, and they aren't being addressed.

Above all I wish I could tell you that I had some magic way to make the problem go away. I don't. I wish it were "as easy as..." but it isn't.

So at this point you are wondering what is the point of this post. I guess it's just to say, I hear you. Which if it is no use to you, sorry. It's all I have.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#106 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

That's not true. I have the pink screen on boot but have never had the pink screen when coming out of standby.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#107 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

That's not true. I have the pink screen on boot but have never had the pink screen when coming out of standby.

Same here.

#108 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

I find the conjecture interesting.

I know how frustrating the pink screens are, I used to have them back in the early days of HR20.

I also know how frustrating it is when you feel you're not being listened to, that your concerns are just as valid as anyone else's, and they aren't being addressed.

Above all I wish I could tell you that I had some magic way to make the problem go away. I don't. I wish it were "as easy as..." but it isn't.

So at this point you are wondering what is the point of this post. I guess it's just to say, I hear you. Which if it is no use to you, sorry. It's all I have.

We'd be bored without conjecture. ;)

#109 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

What moron at D* decided it was ok to release this crap?

#110 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

I have 2 other HD-DVRs. One in the bedroom, one in the basement. The HR-34 is in the main level family room. Can the HR-34 be moved to any of the rooms in my house, just like any other DVR? Since I am having the pink screen on power-up, could I just move the HR-34 to the basement or bedroom tv and move the DVR from there to the Family room?

The HD-DVR in the basement is hooked up to the home network for the Whole Home DVR using a powerline adapter.

The HD-DVR in the bedroom is plugged directly into an ethernet jack.

#111 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Just out of curiosity, for those with the pink screen issues... what happens if you put the DVR in standby, leave it for 10 seconds, and take it out of standby? Does that fix things? I so... maybe that might point to an answer that could make it into a future release.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#112 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Just out of curiosity, for those with the pink screen issues... what happens if you put the DVR in standby, leave it for 10 seconds, and take it out of standby? Does that fix things? I so... maybe that might point to an answer that could make it into a future release.

i have do 2 things maybe few a time a day, turn mine receiver just on/off to rid of the pink screen issues, then i turn on HBO and do the same thing to fix the HDMI problem, so i going say there something funny going with HDMI, but no one know what it is

#113 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

Dumb question, but how do you put the HR34 in standby?

I have no issues with HBO. I left the HR34 on and turned the TV off and got the pink screen when I turned the TV back on. Changing the channels fixes it, but its still a PITA. Wish I could revert to the previous software. I had no issues with this before the latest software release.

Leaving the tv on and turning the HR34 off/on does not cause it either.

#114 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

Dumb question, but how do you put the HR34 in standby?

Press the "PWR" button.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#115 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Ok. So turn it off. When someone said "put it in standby" I was thinking there was another option.

Anyway, like I said before, it does not give the pink screen if the TV is left on. If the TV goes off at all, the pink screen is there when the picture appears after the TV is turned back on.

#116 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Ok. So turn it off. When someone said "put it in standby" I was thinking there was another option.

But you're not turning it off, you're putting it in standby. They only way to "turn off" the DVR is to unplug it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#117 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

Yet the button on the remote and the button on the front of the HR34 say PWR and Power....

Putting it in standby/power off or even unplugging will not cause the pink screen unless the TV is powered off/on.

#118 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

That works for me. It's basically instant. Power down and power up in 1 quick shot.

#119 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Putting it in standby/power off or even unplugging will not cause the pink screen unless the TV is powered off/on.

When you want to watch TV what do you do first, turn on your TV or take your DVR out of standby?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#120 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

It is most definitely true. Read again what I wrote. I did not write that everyone who had one symptom had the other.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Protected By... spam firewall...And...