Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is HR-34 Guide Data Now Retained?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kepper

kepper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

I know that in the past, when my HR-34 was reset, the Guide Data was purged and needed 1-2 days to completely reload all data. This morning, after I noticed that new HR-34 software was installed last night, it looked like all the guide data was still there. Was this one of the bugs fixed in the latest software release or am I imagining things?

I didn't see anything specific about this in the latest release notes.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Yes, the guide data is retained on a single reboot.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Yes, the guide data is retained on a single reboot.

I did 1 reboot today and it was gone. Is that because a reboot was done with the download as well?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,196 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

I did 1 reboot today and it was gone. Is that because a reboot was done with the download as well?

Well if it the new 0x057C, it wasn't completely fill in and if 0x054C a single reset cleared the data.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:18 AM

If you do 2 reboots within 30 minutes your guide data is flushed.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   kepper

kepper

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

After I posted the original message, I had what I think was an HDMI connectivity issue... which was weird because the tv and the HR34 had been powered on and off at least a couple of times yesterday. After futzing around with powering the tv off and on, and powering the AV receiver and HR34 a couple of times and having no luck, I finally did just ONE RBR. When the HR34 restarted, all the guide data was lost.

Therefore, it appears the lost guide data issue continues with this latest release.

#7 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

After I posted the original message, I had what I think was an HDMI connectivity issue... which was weird because the tv and the HR34 had been powered on and off at least a couple of times yesterday. After futzing around with powering the tv off and on, and powering the AV receiver and HR34 a couple of times and having no luck, I finally did just ONE RBR. When the HR34 restarted, all the guide data was lost.

Therefore, it appears the lost guide data issue continues with this latest release.

Your "powering the AV receiver and HR34 a couple of times" is what flushed your guide data.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   kepper

kepper

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

Your "powering the AV receiver and HR34 a couple of times" is what flushed your guide data.

I thought that turning the HR34 on and off within a couple of minutes using the remote control wouldn't purge the program guide. The AC power was not interrupted.

#9 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

I thought that turning the HR34 on and off within a couple of minutes using the remote control wouldn't purge the program guide. The AC power was not interrupted.

You said "powering", that means you powered it off right? There is no "on" or "off" for an HR34. It's either in standby or not. The only way to power it off is to unplug it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   kepper

kepper

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

You said "powering", that means you powered it off right? There is no "on" or "off" for an HR34. It's either in standby or not. The only way to power it off is to unplug it.

I apologize for the confusion. I did not interrupt the AC power to the device. I pushed the off button on the remote control. I guess that means it was in standby mode since the front lights went out.

As a non-engineer I used that terminology because on my PC or laptop if I shut it down at the end of the day, it can be still be plugged in and I have always heard that called powered off, same as when I shut off my tv... but I'm sure there's still some power there. The volatile memory is erased even though the unit is plugged into the wall outlet.

My fault for not being more descriptive.

Edited by kepper, 10 August 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

The difference with a DVR, it's still completely functional when "off". The outputs are turned off, but it still records, can serve recordings etc.

Some do literally turn their DVRs off by turning off a power strip or similar method.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...