Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

no sound

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

when i turn on my tv with the hopper there is no sound. if i turn the power of and on (usually several times) or hit the reset button it comes on. this just started about a week or two ago and is getting worse (every time i turn the tv on). i switched it to pcm only on all the receivers about a month ago after having the volume turn off while watching and haven't had that problem since then. any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   broeddog

broeddog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

Are you using an HDMI cable if so it could be a handshake issue. Try using component cables or a different HDMI cable and see if the solves your problem.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

I have issues sometimes with my 922 where it will come on without audio (via HDMI). I used to think I had to reset the receiver... but one day realized it was the handshaking issue.

The workaround for me is to change my HDTV to a different input... then change back... and audio comes back.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

i have a hdmi connection.

are you saying i have to change the input every time i turn on the tv?

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

yes

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

Or trying a HDMI cable from a different manufacturer.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

i have a hdmi connection.

are you saying i have to change the input every time i turn on the tv?

Not unless the problem happens every time. In my case, most of the time I am fine... but every once in a while (maybe a couple of times a month) I will have the no audio problem and have to do the input switch thing real quick to fix it.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

i switched connections. i will see how that works. if there is still problems, i will change hdmi cords. thanks

#9 OFFLINE   PtownPhil

PtownPhil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm having the same problem with a brand new Hopper/3xJoey install. At the Hopper it goes to my Yamaha RXa2000 via HDMI, and then to the Panasonic plasma display. When the Yamaha is off, it passes through HDMI just fine, the video shows up, but there is no sound when you first turn on about 30% of the time. If I change channels, the sound appears.

I don't think I have a cable problem, I'm using high quality cables and have switched them around with the same problem.

Suggestions?

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,754 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Check HDMI diags on your sat receiver when no sound.

#11 OFFLINE   husker61

husker61

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

I have issues sometimes with my 922 where it will come on without audio (via HDMI). I used to think I had to reset the receiver... but one day realized it was the handshaking issue.

The workaround for me is to change my HDTV to a different input... then change back... and audio comes back.

for anyone that has the same problem i had, i just wanted to say that i haven't had this issue once since i switched inputs.

thanks

#12 OFFLINE   Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:51 AM

I'm still having the problem. I switched to PCM and it fixed the problem, but why should I have to put up with inferior sound...just so I can HAVE sound?

#13 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Change to a different HDMI input and see it that works, if not use optical and your problem should be solved.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

spam firewall