Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need help 775 error

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

The voltage at the LNB indicates that is unlikely.

If someone swapped it and then swapped it back it would fry the tuners resulting in a 775.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

I asked because I'm wondering if someone connected the PI to the non red port.

The voltage at the LNB indicates that is unlikely.

If someone swapped it and then swapped it back it would fry the tuners resulting in a 775.

Can you explain?
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Why? If you connect the PI to a non-power passing port, that is all that happens. No power passes. Put it back on the red port, power passes. No frying of tuners.

#24 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,175 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

But that wouldn't account for the OP's H21 being out with a 771a (same as 775) error message as well.

#25 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Why? If you connect the PI to a non-power passing port, that is all that happens. No power passes. Put it back on the red port, power passes. No frying of tuners.

By "swap" I think Shades228 means is at some point someone may have accidentally installed the PI backwards for a time damaging the HR34's tuners.

But as I point out, that wouldn't account for the H21 being out with a 771a message as well.

#26 OFFLINE   gflande1

gflande1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

Nothing swapped.

I'm back online. Tech wasn't receiving a signal from the LNB. He replaced that, and still nothing. He replaced both splitters and the ends, and it started working again. Strange I was getting voltage at the LNB. Guess the connection wasn't good enough to allow the signal through. Could the storm/power outage have caused this? or was it a bad connection in the first place that happened to fail during the storm? Either way, I'm happy again.*

Thanks for all the inputs.

PS is it appropriate to tip a tech? I wasn't sure, so I didn't (my wife gets on my ass for wanting to tip everyone. So I'm hesitant. happy wife means happy life, right?) . Maybe I should have, he made me happy again.

#27 OFFLINE   gflande1

gflande1

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

Not much changed. Tech did remove one of the ground lugs. Said grounding to splitter wasn't necessary. I added a 6 inch piece of 12 gauge copper between the ground lug and green screw on splitter (not pictured). Don't know if that was necessary, but it doesn't hurt. what you think?*

Posted Image

#28 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

I can't follow the wiring in your photo. It's like there is a missing part to it. :confused:
Water/corrosion on connectors can have been the problem all along. :shrug:
Grounding the splitter so close to the ground block shouldn't matter or help.
A.K.A VOS

#29 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,175 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

What's particularly confusing to me is that while I can make out what is the single line from the dish/SWiM-LNB assembly to the single barrel ground block. From thereon how and why does the single black colored coax out from the other side of the ground block turn into that double gray coax run of which one feeds the input to the 1 x 2 SWiM splitter? :confused:

#30 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I can't follow the wiring in your photo. It's like there is a missing part to it. :confused:
Water/corrosion on connectors can have been the problem all along. :shrug:
Grounding the splitter so close to the ground block shouldn't matter or help.

OP posted more on another forum. But, he is basically up and running now so he is not really looking for an answer to his question.

What you see is very confusing. He apparently switched from Dish to Directv and the installer used a former dual RG6 line that ran from the dish to the outside connection box. So ignore the meaningless second main line that is just hanging there. Then the installer missed an opportunity to ground the splitter and/or place the grounding terminal directly in the line, choosing instead to pass the satellite line to the splitter than put the grounding terminal on the line to one of the receivers. The picture makes more sense when you see what was posted on the "other" forum.

But, the problem has been solved by a tech call.

#31 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Looks to me like his DirecTV lines aren't grounded at all. It looks like he has another line coming in (cable for internet?) that is the black lines that are grounded at the ground block. I'm guessing the grey lines are the lines from the SWM dish, and the 2 black lines go into his house to his receivers and power inserter. The DirecTV system used to be grounded at the splitter, but now the tech removed the ground so it is no longer grounded.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...