Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is TV Japan SD ending in March 31, 2013?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

Received a letter today from TV Japan about upgrading my SD receiver to HD to get the new TV Japan HD.
I found this June 6, 2012 letter on-line and I'd like you're take on it:
Here's an excerpt:

"""Pursuant to the TV JAPAN Affiliation Agreement with your company, NHK Cosmomedia America, Inc. (“NCMA”) wishes to give notice of NCMA’s plan to change the transmission of TV JAPAN to an all HD format. This format change will result in a new satellite transponder, new satellite transmission parameters and new IRDs. This transmission change will begin October 1, 2012 (testing to begin September 1, 2012), with an overlap period with the existing SD signal to continue until March 31, 2013."""

Can't post links yet but here's the PDF document name: TVJAPAN-HD_transition_Letter_Form1_060612 if you want to google it.

#2 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hi, I did check the channel here at DISH. No announcement has been made yet about any changes to this channel at this time. There maybe an update available later in the year.

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

HD can be downconverted to SD so even if NHK stopped the SD feed DISH can still downconvert the HD feed.

#4 OFFLINE   CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

I have the cheapest SD Dish receiver. Will it convert the HD sat signal to SD for me?
I'm wondering if an TV Japan HD only signal would require me to upgrade my Dish receiver to an HD model?
BTW - thanks for the quick responses.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

DISH currently broadcasts both the SD and HD feeds of TV Japan from the 118 orbital location. It looks like that source PDF is referring to TVJ's feed to DISH (and other carriers) ... not your feed from DISH.

NASA TV went through a similar change, dropping their SD channel and transmitting in HD only. DISH receives the HD feed and down converts it on their system. DISH may be doing that now for TVJ. There are a lot of "SD" channels on DISH that are simply letterboxed or cropped versions of the HD feeds.

The conversion is done by DISH at their uplink center ... no new receiver needed in the home.

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

I have the cheapest SD Dish receiver. Will it convert the HD sat signal to SD for me?
I'm wondering if an TV Japan HD only signal would require me to upgrade my Dish receiver to an HD model?
BTW - thanks for the quick responses.

No your SD receiver can't downconvert a HD signal it can't even see it, but DISH can downconvert it and send it too you just like they are doing now.

#7 OFFLINE   CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

I understand now - thank you all for the quick, accurate, responses.

#8 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

DISH currently broadcasts both the SD and HD feeds of TV Japan from the 118 orbital location. It looks like that source PDF is referring to TVJ's feed to DISH (and other carriers) ... not your feed from DISH.

NASA TV went through a similar change, dropping their SD channel and transmitting in HD only. DISH receives the HD feed and down converts it on their system. DISH may be doing that now for TVJ. There are a lot of "SD" channels on DISH that are simply letterboxed or cropped versions of the HD feeds.

The conversion is done by DISH at their uplink center ... no new receiver needed in the home.

same could be said for the ESPN network of Channels that aren't in HD on Dish, as in ESPNews and ESPN U.
Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#9 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

same could be said for the ESPN network of Channels that aren't in HD on Dish, as in ESPNews and ESPN U.

Exactly, the Comcast Sports RSN's do the same.
No compelling reason for the programmers to eat up (more) bandwidth to send up SD copies of their HD feeds; just let the affiliates downconvert it at their headends. Matter of fact, their are models of the satellite receivers programmers provide their affiliates, that simultaneously provide an HD AND (downconverted) SD output.
1 (HD) feed only + 1 sat receiver only for EVERY affiliate = cost savings to the programmers.

spam firewall