Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV Regional Uplink Centers?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Al.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Cool stuff. I found my uplink center. For the NY, NY locals its in New Jersey. I am looking at the pictures of the building in Google. Lots of big dishes:)

FCC has addresses of all of the Directv Earth stations.
I've googled all of them in the past.
Some very small with only one or two large dishes.
Most 4 to 6.
The big centers are LABC and Castle Rock.
Also California Broadcast Center not too far from the Marina del Ray LABC does most of the International and Latin American data.

Doctor j

Attached Thumbnails

• Castle Rock BC.PNG
  • California Broadcast Center.PNG

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

For comparison, here is the SWUF outside Tucson, AZ.
Older pix as the other two 9 M. dishes are now completed.
And the NWUF outside Moxee, WA

4 or so other similar facilites for LIL repeaters.

Doctor j

Attached Thumbnails

• SWUF.PNG
  • NWUF.PNG

MFH-2 System : 2 Major Viewing Areas. 2 x HR20-700's & H21 in each area via E2/SWM-8. Hardwire gigabit switch to 30 mb/sec internet.

#23 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

How did you find this information out?!

I forgot to include the picture of the exterior:

Posted Image
LABC

Tech wise, it seems very cool. The HQ in El Segundo is a cooler looking place (IMHO) though... :)

~Alan

I used Satracers link to find the address then Google maps to look at it. It is also the given address for two of the FOX owned affiliates in the market. They are FOX 5 and WWOR.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#24 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

I used Satracers link to find the address then Google maps to look at it. It is also the given address for two of the FOX owned affiliates in the market. They are FOX 5 and WWOR.

Okay, that's the LRF (Local Receive Facility)... as I stated earlier, my local NBC/ABC affiliate's studio is my LRF.

That page doesn't list the uplink centers.

~Alan

#25 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

Yeah good point, I'm still trying to figure out how the data gets from New Jersey to the uplink center. Right now I am thinking fiber. Also this LRF is, I think half way between two of the uplink centers.

More poking around...

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#26 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

Okay, that's the LRF (Local Receive Facility)... as I stated earlier, my local NBC/ABC affiliate's studio is my LRF.

That page doesn't list the uplink centers.

~Alan

Most LRFs are installed inside the building of one of the local TV stations, DirecTV rents the space. And the only LRF I have seen was unmanned, just equipment in a secured rack.....some channels received at the LRF via fiber, others by receiving the off-air signal.

#27 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

I thought that's what this list was... http://www.directv.c...eive_facilities

What is this one then?

#28 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

What is this one then?

Ahh I see it now... got it.

#29 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

What is this one then?

What do these local receive facilities do? I checked some of them on Google Earth, the one in Buffalo is in a downtown high rise, the one in Hurricane, WV seems to be in the middle of a residential area with the only commercial structure in the area being a Animal Hospital. The one in Detroit seems to be on a Golf Course. (:?) The one in Fort Meyers is a tiny little commercial building, and the street view shows it to be completely gated in, with no markings whatsoever.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#30 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

What do these local receive facilities do? I checked some of them on Google Earth, the one in Buffalo is in a downtown high rise, the one in Hurricane, WV seems to be in the middle of a residential area with the only commercial structure in the area being a Animal Hospital. The one in Detroit seems to be on a Golf Course. (:?) The one in Fort Meyers is a tiny little commercial building, and the street view shows it to be completely gated in, with no markings whatsoever.

It is where the local channels are received, and then sent from there to DirecTV.

~Alan

#31 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

They are often inside the offices or the transmission building of one of the local TV stations.

In general, there has to be an LRF in each DMA. It's a location where all the signals from the local stations are collected by DirecTV and then sent to one of the uplink centers.
Because DirecTV collects many of the local signals by capturing the off-air signals (others are received on fiber) the LRF is generally in the coverage area for the local off-air transmissions.

Edited by texasbrit, 14 August 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#32 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,170 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

While much of which has been posted in this thread is no doubt interesting, I really think its largely drifted from the thread topic question Alan originally posted which has to do with what happens to the collected local signals *after* the LRF point?

Is it a direct fiber feed back to the main broadcast stations at Los Angeles and Castle Rock?

Or is it from the LRFs first to regional LiL aggregation points like I posted earlier in Atlanta ("SE"), NY ("NE"), Castle Rock ("Central"), Seattle ("NW"), Los Angeles, Boise, Kanas City, etc. for satellite back-haul (excepting LA and CR of course) to the main broadcast centers at LA and CR?

Or a mixture of both? And is there any way to identify where these local aggregation centers are for a look by Goggle Earth?

#33 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Most LRFs are installed inside the building of one of the local TV stations, DirecTV rents the space. And the only LRF I have seen was unmanned, just equipment in a secured rack.....some channels received at the LRF via fiber, others by receiving the off-air signal.

Yeah... I know.

OK, here's the deal folks.

I've been talking to local station folks regarding my local channels. The official word from DirecTV as to why they are not carrying my local ABC affiliate in HD is due to capacity constraints. I'm trying to make sense of this, because the data provided by doctor j and gct does not show this to be an issue. Given some other information I'm privy to (which I won't share), I'm wondering if it's an uplink issue instead of a downlink issue. The discussion got me to wondering HOW my locals were sent to DirecTV from the LRF.

For fits and giggles, here's a little LiL history for my market:

My locals launched on August 4, 2010. We received the following channels:

Network 513, Market 2, Albany, GA Now Available
NET|NAME|CHL|NOTES0|NOTES1
513|WALB|10|A3 Albany, GA 10 WALB NBC|NBC television services from WALBDT-TV, 10, Albany, GA.
513|GPB|14|A3 Albany, GA 14 WABW PBS|PBS television services from WABWDT-TV, 14, Albany, GA.
513|CW|17|A3 Albany, GA 17 WCWJ CW|The CW television services from WCWJDT-TV, 17, Jacksonville, FL.
513|WJXX|25|A3 Albany, GA 25 WJXX ABC|ABC television services from WJXXDT-TV, 25, Jacksonville, FL.
513|WFXL|31|A3 Albany, GA 31 WFXL FOX|FOX television services from WFXLDT-TV, 31, Albany, GA.
513|WSST|55|A3 Albany, GA 55 WSST IND|IND television services from WSSTDT-TV, 55, Cordele, GA.

On October 6, 2010, CBS joined the lineup:

Network 513, Market 2, Albany, GA Now Available
NET|NAME|CHL|NOTES0|NOTES1
513|WSWG|44|A3 Albany, GA 44 WSWG CBS|CBS television services from WSWGDT-TV, 44, Albany, GA.

This was everything in my market, but MyNetworkTV (WSWG-DT2), and a few other assorted sub-channels.

WCWJ, the CW-HD affiliate from Jacksonville, FL would be replaced on January 26, 2011 with the newly launched CW affiliated WSWG-DT3.

On May 4, 2011, DirecTV replaced the Jacksonville, FL ABC affiliate (WJXX) in HD, with WALB-DT2 which had just started their ABC affiliation. An HD feed is provided for satcos and cablecos, and is carried immediately by Dish Network and Mediacom, but SD only via DirecTV even though the DirecTV LRF is in the WALB studio.

In mid August, 2011, DirecTV removed GPB (it's a statewide PBS) from the transponder carrying the rest of my locals, and remapped it from a Jacksonville, FL HD-LiL transponder (where it's also carried) to this DMA's channel numbering.

So... let me break it down since the above doesn't do a good job of specifying:

August 4, 2010: - Locals launched
  • 3 MPEG4 HD channels on local transponder.
  • 2 MPEG4 HD channels on neighboring transponder.
  • 1 MPEG4 SD channel on local transponder.

October 6, 2010: - CBS-HD added
  • 4 MPEG4 HD channels on local transponder.
  • 2 MPEG4 HD channels on neighboring transponder.
  • 1 MPEG4 SD channel on local transponder.

January 26, 2011: - Imported CW-HD replaced with local CW-SD
  • 1 MPEG4 HD channels on neighboring transponder.
  • 2 MPEG4 SD channel on local transponder.

May 4, 2011: - Imported ABC-HD replaced with local ABC-SD
  • 3 MPEG4 SD channel on local transponder.

August 26, 2011: - PBS-HD swapped transponders
  • 3 MPEG4 HD channels on local transponder.
  • 1 MPEG4 HD channels on neighboring transponder.
  • 3 MPEG4 SD channel on local transponder.

My local CW affiliate will be going HD sometime next year apparently. I'm hoping that DirecTV will carry it... especially since I can't receive it OTA, and CW DNS probably won't be available in HD anytime soon. I believe that 5 MPEG4 HD channels and an MPEG4 SD channel is being done on a single transponder in some markets, though there may be some technological differences allowing them to. I'm aware I'm a smaller market with little market share compared to Dish Network, so I'm aware that DirecTV might not be in a hurry to upgrade any equipment in my market, but DirecTV has proven that they can offer 4 MPEG4 HD (3 1080i, and 1 720p) channels and 3 MPEG4 SD channels, so I'm confused as to how capacity would be an issue with 4 MPEG4 HD (2 1080i and 2 720p) channels and 2 MPEG4 SD channels on a spot-beam. :confused:

• My local channels (aside from PBS which is remapped to my market) are on SpaceWay-1, Transponder #1. It carries 3 HD channels, 3 SD channels. That's 2 1080i HD channels, and a 720p HD channel.
  • My neighboring DMA of Tallahassee, FL has their local channels on SpaceWay-1, Transponder #3, and it has 5 HD channels on it, and another one in testing. That's 4 1080i HD channels and two 720p HD channels.

If it was contractual, I'd understand. If it was monetary reasons (additional encoder costs, etc.), I'd understand. I'm just confused by the capacity issue unless it's an uplink issue, and that got me interested in the process.

~Alan

Edited by Alan Gordon, 25 August 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,026 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

Alan, IIRC DIRECTV has been busy upgrading all their LRF's recently so I'd guess your right about a back haul issue vs. download.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#35 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Alan, IIRC DIRECTV has been busy upgrading all their LRF's recently so I'd guess your right about a back haul issue vs. download.

Interesting...

I realize after I posted that that I should have asked a question.

Do you know exactly HOW they are upgrading the LRFs? Better encoders, better fiber, what?

Given that my market was launched only 2 years and 2 weeks ago, you'd think mine would be fairly up-to-date...

~Alan

#36 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,026 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

I realize after I posted that that I should have asked a question.

Do you know exactly HOW they are upgrading the LRFs? Better encoders, better fiber, what?

Given that my market was launched only 2 years and 2 weeks ago, you'd think mine would be fairly up-to-date...

~Alan

I forget where exactly I heard it, I think it was on a conference call. I know the Austin TX LRF wass moved a few months ago, it was located in one hosting site and moved to another one and after then we got three more HD locals.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#37 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

I'm just confused by the capacity issue unless it's an uplink issue, and that got me interested in the process.

Well... I haven't had a very good day today. Not that I really felt like it, but I did talk to someone else regarding my local channels, and once again, my thinking is that it's an uplink issue.

I mentioned elsewhere in the post quoted above that my curiosity was piqued about regional uplink centers when I started looking into my local channels situation.

Well, I spoke to someone with DirecTV about it today, and the information given to me was the same I've been getting elsewhere. It's a capacity issue. The person I spoke rather fast given that I'm from the South, so I didn't have time to fully register a couple of things, but he stated that the satellite that provides my locals also offers locals to other markets.

Long story short, I don't think I'm ever going to get an exact reason as to why it's a capacity issue, but I'm going to go with the uplink theory. I asked him to forward my channel requests for local ABC-HD, and since he stated that it was no problem, he forwarded a request for when my local CW goes HD next year. :(

~Alan

#38 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,170 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

Well... I haven't had a very good day today. Not that I really felt like it, but I did talk to someone else regarding my local channels, and once again, my thinking is that it's an uplink issue.

I mentioned elsewhere in the post quoted above that my curiosity was piqued about regional uplink centers when I started looking into my local channels situation.

Well, I spoke to someone with DirecTV about it today, and the information given to me was the same I've been getting elsewhere. It's a capacity issue. The person I spoke rather fast given that I'm from the South, so I didn't have time to fully register a couple of things, but he stated that the satellite that provides my locals also offers locals to other markets.

Long story short, I don't think I'm ever going to get an exact reason as to why it's a capacity issue, but I'm going to go with the uplink theory. I asked him to forward my channel requests for local ABC-HD, and since he stated that it was no problem, he forwarded a request for when my local CW goes HD next year. :(

~Alan

Sorry you're having a bad one today, particularly on festivus day for the new basic HD channels.

Not having the greatest day here myself what with plumbing problems I'm dealing with right now. :(

Anyway, that part of the guy's statement;

... that the satellite that provides my locals also offers locals to other markets.

What's that really supposed to mean? Of course the Spaceways offer locals to other markets ... Duh .... :rolleyes:

Did he mean on the same spotbeam transponder or something?

#39 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Anyway, that part of the guy's statement;

What's that really supposed to mean? Of course the Spaceways offer locals to other markets ... Duh .... :rolleyes:

Did he mean on the same spotbeam transponder or something?

I too wondered if he was referring to the same spot-beam transponder. I was not aware of this being the case, so I looked at my neighboring markets on the LiL TPN map, and found what I felt to be the situation, that none of them that I looked at listed SW1 TPN #1 as a location they were using.

I came to the conclusion that maybe his statement had something to do with the uplink?! :confused:

~Alan

#40 OFFLINE   doctor j

doctor j

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I too wondered if he was referring to the same spot-beam transponder. I was not aware of this being the case, so I looked at my neighboring markets on the LiL TPN map, and found what I felt to be the situation, that none of them that I looked at listed SW1 TPN #1 as a location they were using.

I came to the conclusion that maybe his statement had something to do with the uplink?! :confused:

~Alan

The only way i can make your data fit relates to the Spaceway bandwidth question at it's basic level. It's fairly clear that SW-1 KA slots were originally 1-8 at 62.5 MHz. When D-12 was launched a portion of that original bandwidth was usurped. SW-1 became 6 TPN's but the bandwidth was unclear. I postulated 1/2 and 3/4 were 62.5 and 5/6 was a half TPN only 31.75 MHz wide. Something in the LOA gave me that suspicion, but i can't put my fingers on that data. Maybe all 6 TPN's are compressed and that's why fewer channels available at this time. The spaceways are beaming almost exclusively East of Mississippi river so our west coast gurus and there ocillascopes can't help us.

At any rate, all is not lost, as certainly some bandwidth can be found for a channel or two in the surrounding D10/12 or D11 spots if by no other way than the new encoders and efficiency or when D14 comes and realignment gives additional LIL bandwidth.

Keep up your faith.
Sorry about the dog.
Our family dog may be more needed than me.

Doctor j

Protected By... spam firewall...And...