Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Copying shows from 625?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MattN03

MattN03

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

Is there a way to copy shows to a PC from our 625 DVR?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Copying files could be done on any Linux PC or by any Windows driver/program what support EXT2/EXT3 partitions; but the files are encrypted and no one will tell you how to play these.
Perhaps you could write a letter to dish SW Dept ? :D

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Copy? No. What you would need would be a capture card with coax or rca inputs and record in real time during playback from the receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Copy? No. ...

Duh ? It's Linux drive after all. Educate by yourself.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,331 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

The bottom line is the "files" are useless unless played on the receiver that recorded them - so there is really no point in copying them (nor bothering DISH for instructions they will not give).

Dubbing (as Gary suggested) is the only way of making the content play on a PC (or other device).

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Duh ? It's Linux drive after all. Educate by yourself.

You need to be less tech and more help.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

You need to be less tech and more help.

Perhaps quoting OP's post will expalin what he asked ? He didn't ask for more what was suggested here. Seems I did help him, but you.
Is there a way to copy shows to a PC from our 625 DVR?

BTW, discussion posters is against the site rules.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,331 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

How does copying unplayable files help the OP? How does suggesting contacting DISH for decryption help the OP? DISH will not give instructions on how to break their encryption.

If the OP wants to play content from his 625 on his PC garys' post is the answer.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,459 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Even if you wanted to get all nit-picky and literal... the OP did ask how to copy "shows"... not "files"...

If he copies the files, he will absolutely NOT have his shows... because to be a show they would need to be capable of being shown... which they would not, due to the encryption.

Thus... in order to copy the "shows" garys gave the only known way to accomplish this.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

garys is the mind reader :D and all of you ... :P perhaps OP will shine ?

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

garys is the mind reader :D and all of you ... :P perhaps OP will shine ?

My job is customer service, which includes to an extent to read their minds. Most people want to solve their problems with the easiest method and do not want to be educated to something that doesn't work. I base my answers here on this. If the OP wants the info on what can be a costly and time consuming project, I will then help with what info I can. Since the OP is currently using a 625, I gave the answer I believe the OP wants.

#12 OFFLINE   MattN03

MattN03

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thanks everyone. It doesn't sound like there is an "easy" way to copy the files.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

We all expecting your detailing post - what you try to achieve exactly ?!

But you just add fuel to the bickering - and seems I was right - it was a request to provide description of "way to copy the files". See my answer in post#2.

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,331 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Dubbing is the only way to get viewable files.
Copying unviewable files is pointless.

#15 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Thanks everyone. It doesn't sound like there is an "easy" way to copy the files.

If you want to try what I suggested, look into products from Elgato or Hauppauge or do a google search under TV tuner for PC or Mac. A lot of these will work via coax, rca and s-video connections, and are fairly inexpensive and easy to use, it just real time to record them. Copying files will not remove encryption Dish has in place and to me is not worth it when you can't view them anyway.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

I think our world will be doomed, if OP will do copy of these files and will discovered something what no one allowed to know. :D

#17 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Dubbing is the only way to get viewable files.
Copying unviewable files is pointless.

Except maybe for backup purposes.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Except maybe for backup purposes.

How I forgot the aspect of copying files ? Duh !

#19 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Arnt we all forgetting about PocketDish??? A PocketDish will copy any recording from a 625 and will allow you to play those recordings on the PocketDish, as well as transfer them back to the 625 if you deleted them. Once the files are on the PocketDish you can move them to PC/laptop/flashdrive or anything w/ a Harddrive to 'save' said files for later. Of course they can ONLY be viewed on either the PocketDish or the 625, and when moving the files to, lets say a flashdrive, make sure to move all files associated w/ said recording. Small recordings, 1/2 hr 1 hr shows are usually in 1 file, but larger ones, like a football game are broken up into 2-3 files w/ the following file extensions: .dpd .dp0 and another .dp that I can't recall at the moment. Unlike w/ external Harddrive's on todays HD rcvrs, the Pocketdish merely copied recordings leaving the original entact on the DVR. PocketDish won't copy HD recordings and I can't even get it to copy ANY file from my 722 or 922 no matter whether its and HD or SD recording or even an E.A. or W.A. recording (some have suggested EA recordings take up more file space than WA ones). PocketDish was designed for SD DVRs like the 625, 522, etc. PocektDish is no longer in production but can be easily obtained from ebay or amazon.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

spam firewall