Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is there a dual HD DVR besides the 722?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cowboy56

cowboy56

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:35 PM

We have the 722 dual HD reciever and have just upgraded the bedroom tv
(TV2) with a 43" plasma and would like to take advantage of the HD format as with TV1. The 722 only sends a SD signal to TV2, so does Dish make another dual receiver that will send a HD signal to both TV1 & TV2?
Or would DirectTV be a better option for this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,839 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:37 PM

Hopper and Joye - goto that specialized XiP813/110 forum and get all info

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Neither Dish nor DirecTV have a single DVR that will output HD to two different HDTVs and give them unique viewing experiences.

You can use the HDMI to one HDTV and the component to another HDTV, but each HDTV would have to watch the same channel.

The only other option would be either the Dish Hopper/Joey configuration OR if you went to DirecTV they might have a multi-room-viewing config that works but I don't know as much about their equipment to say.

IF you stick with Dish, I would either get another 722 or similar receiver for the other room OR go with a Hopper + a Joey.

It depends on how you want to view things in the two rooms as to what would work best for you.

A 722 has two SAT tuners + 1 OTA tuner... so if you put another 722 in the other room, each room has 2 SAT tuners and 1 OTA tuner. The only way to share content would be an external archive drive and you'd physically have to move that from room to room.

The alternative...

A Hopper in the main room and a Joey in the other room. Hoppers have 3 SAT tuners and currently no OTA capability. Joeys have no tuners but you can watch any of the 3 available tuners on the Hopper, any DVR content on the Hopper, and anything on an external drive connected to the Hopper.

If you don't need OTA, the Hopper/Joey setup is the better configuration for you I think.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

Neither Dish nor DirecTV have a single DVR that will output HD to two different HDTVs and give them unique viewing experiences.

You can use the HDMI to one HDTV and the component to another HDTV, but each HDTV would have to watch the same channel.

The only other option would be either the Dish Hopper/Joey configuration OR if you went to DirecTV they might have a multi-room-viewing config that works but I don't know as much about their equipment to say.

IF you stick with Dish, I would either get another 722 or similar receiver for the other room OR go with a Hopper + a Joey.

It depends on how you want to view things in the two rooms as to what would work best for you.

A 722 has two SAT tuners + 1 OTA tuner... so if you put another 722 in the other room, each room has 2 SAT tuners and 1 OTA tuner. The only way to share content would be an external archive drive and you'd physically have to move that from room to room.

The alternative...

A Hopper in the main room and a Joey in the other room. Hoppers have 3 SAT tuners and currently no OTA capability. Joeys have no tuners but you can watch any of the 3 available tuners on the Hopper, any DVR content on the Hopper, and anything on an external drive connected to the Hopper.

If you don't need OTA, the Hopper/Joey setup is the better configuration for you I think.

Now I thought the 922 can and does supply an HD picture through TV2 when you "Sling" it.:confused:

I know it works when I "Sling" my TV2 to my computer and it is an HD picture.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:35 AM

It's "prosthetic leg" of quazi-MRV :D

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,584 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

Now I thought the 922 can and does supply an HD picture through TV2 when you "Sling" it.:confused:

I know it works when I "Sling" my TV2 to my computer and it is an HD picture.

Well... yes, sort of... it does Sling HD... but I've never seen my Sling-delivered HD look as good as the HD directly on the receiver. It is better than SD to be sure... but I wouldn't consider it equivalent to what the Hopper/Joey configuration would give you.

Also... Sling is contingent upon you having a high-speed internet connection even on your local network since you still have to go through the Dish portal to access the 922 Sling... so if your internet connection is down, you wouldn't be able to Sling from the 922 even within your own home.

Sling for convenience on my iPad is one thing... but I wouldn't want to depend on Sling as the only way to get HD to my other room HDTV.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

And adding the sling adaptor to a 722 in the same circumstances would give HD to tv2 just like the 922.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,839 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

so if your internet connection is down, you wouldn't be able to Sling from the 922 even within your own home.

I'm always puzzled by the anti-customers' restriction. :( Especially knows, the 922 streaming well on your local network if you used old Sling SW (v1.4).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...