Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NO HD for NBC and Closing Ceremonies . . .

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dthoman

dthoman

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

. . . HD NBC lost transmission on closing ceremonies. Good one DTV. I have a blank screen with a note saying no need to call DTV that it will come back on once tech difficulties are resolved. Told to watch on SD channel. Took me a little while to remember how to get my SD channel back :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

Yep;

Back on now, but after a good chunk of the closing ceremonies was lost.

Good thing I get KNBC off-air from the AM21 as backup. :)

#3 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

Here in LA we can see the Olympics in it's entirety in HD after the local news about 12:30am PST. Now i will be able to see The Spice Girls in the flesh like nature intended......LOL.

#4 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:03 AM

Seems it only went out in California. I am in Arizona and the feed was perfect as usual. Everybody is so quick to lay blame on DirecTV when it could very well have been NBCs feed to them that went down.

#5 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,780 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

Everything was fine here too.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

Seems it only went out in California. I am in Arizona and the feed was perfect as usual. Everybody is so quick to lay blame on DirecTV when it could very well have been NBCs feed to them that went down.

Yep, it was the NBC Los Angeles feed that went down. Actually, @NBCLA was a lot quicker to tweet about it then @DirecTV. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#7 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

We had no problems receiving NBC in HD in North Carolina, but I did find the closing ceremonies themselves to be disappointing. What was that Octopus all about? :rolleyes:

#8 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

We had no problems receiving NBC in HD in North Carolina, but I did find the closing ceremonies themselves to be disappointing. What was that Octopus all about? :rolleyes:

The British are a weird bunch sometimes. I was wondering a lot of the same things about the opening ceremonies. I actually liked the closing ceremonies a lot more, was more entertaining to me.

#9 OFFLINE   xavi6

xavi6

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

The British are a weird bunch sometimes. I was wondering a lot of the same things about the opening ceremonies. I actually liked the closing ceremonies a lot more, was more entertaining to me.

That's because Danny Boyle had nothing to do with it. :D

Oh, and I like Danny Boyle.

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Yep, it was the NBC Los Angeles feed that went down. Actually, @NBCLA was a lot quicker to tweet about it then @DirecTV. :D

Must be two separate feeds then, SD and HD, that KNBC is supplying to DIRECTV instead of the usual single HD one that DIRECTV will then down-convert and "center-cut" to create the SD one.

Makes sense though I guess since NBC O&O stations at least use AFD and want it observed for SD feeds of their programming supplied from MSOs.

And while there are down-converters DIRECTV and other MSOs could use which will comply with AFD, they rarely do this on their end and must be supplied by the broadcaster through a dedicated SD feed to them.

#11 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Must be two separate feeds then, SD and HD, that KNBC is supplying to DIRECTV instead of the usual single HD one that DIRECTV will then down-convert and "center-cut" to create the SD one.

Well... they are of course in the same market, they technically would not even have to supply "a feed", they can just pick the channel up OTA and distribute. Although a properly installed feed would probably come with a better guarantee for availability.

Nonetheless though, if it is a properly installed feed (either by satellite or by fiberoptic cable), one could justify the OTA feed as a backup to that, just in case things fail.

Not that it matters much.... NBC, as usual, was cutting out things left and right they deemed not important enough for us Americans to see. Kat Bush performance was cut out. The traditional medal ceremony for the marathon that always happens at the closing was cut out.

A big #NBCFail again, for many reasons.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#12 OFFLINE   n4uaj

n4uaj

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

I was thinking a tie in with the rest of the Beatlemusic preceding it."Octopus's Garden" is a track from the Abbey Road album.

#13 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

Not that it matters much.... NBC, as usual, was cutting out things left and right they deemed not important enough for us Americans to see. Kat Bush performance was cut out. The traditional medal ceremony for the marathon that always happens at the closing was cut out.

A big #NBCFail again, for many reasons.

Agreed. NBC is just a joke. It's failed efforts like this as to why I never watch NBC and will continue not to. I cannot believe they cherry picked acts, from an event that only happens ONCE EVERY FOUR YEARS, so they could fit a preview of a sitcom. Pre-empting The Who till midnight and totally ignoring Ray Davies, Kate Bush and Muse is just pathetic, better yet, for acts like Stomp.

What a disgrace.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#14 ONLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

Agreed. NBC is just a joke. It's failed efforts like this as to why I never watch NBC and will continue not to. I cannot believe they cherry picked acts, from an event that only happens ONCE EVERY FOUR YEARS, so they could fit a preview of a sitcom. Pre-empting The Who till midnight and totally ignoring Ray Davies, Kate Bush and Muse is just pathetic, better yet, for acts like Stomp.

What a disgrace.

Good thing that the NFL and NHL does not let them pull this carp.

Hell they ones cut away from the end of a NFL game to show a television film and after that the NFL obligated the networks to show games to completion
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#15 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

I think it was pretty funny that NBC pulled the plug when The Who was coming on, went to a new comedy at 11am, and then went back to the Closing Ceremonies at 11:30pm. What a joke NBC.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#16 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

God bless DNS! Sorry...that`s all I could rhyme. But having East and West feeds, I was able to catch alot more Olympic coverage.

#17 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

Good thing that the NFL and NHL does not let them pull this carp.

Hell they ones cut away from the end of a NFL game to show a television film and after that the NFL obligated the networks to show games to completion

You are referring to "The Heidi Game" in 1968. I remember that well. I was one of the millions who caused the switchboard to overload.

#18 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Actually, it was a D* problem.

http://www.chicagotr...0,2029266.story

spam firewall