Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sinclair may pull locals from Dish on 8/16

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

See http://www.nasdaq.co...-20120813-01154

Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. (SBGI) on Monday announced that its retransmission consent agreement with Dish Network (DISH), pursuant to which Dish carries 70 stations Sinclair owns or provides services to, is scheduled to terminate at midnight on August 15, 2012.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

See http://www.nasdaq.co...-20120813-01154

I guess by Wed. Night a lot of TV antennas need to be connected if 70 stations will be affected.:hurah::hurah::hurah:

#3 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

I say give 'em the Rainbow treatment. Jerk 'em off and let 'em squirm for cash.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#4 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

Does anyone know which stations we are talking about?

It looks like another case of third-graders on the playground--I'm mad at you, so I'm taking my marbles and going home.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

Last I was aware... in my DMA Sinclair owned the local CW and MyNetwork affiliates.

While I'm not in favor of the channels in these negotiations usually... and I'll side with Dish to keep costs down...

I am crossing my fingers that a new deal with Sinclair might also mean at least my CW in HD on Dish.

I watch some CW and lack of CW via Dish satellite is keeping me from even considering the Hopper right now because I need OTA for my local CW in HD. Also some local sports sometimes on My Network so I wouldn't mind that.

Also would be really cool if not only we got our CW in HD...but if Dish expanded the Hopper PTAT to include PBS and CW in those nightly recordings... that would sell me on a Hopper upgrade..

edit: literally seconds after I posted, I got the press release email about this!

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 13 August 2012 - 05:47 PM.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Posted Image

Sinclair Broadcast Group Calls for Massive Price Increase for DISH Customers
Local Programming Access for DISH Customers in 45 Markets Threatened

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 08/13/12 -- Sinclair Broadcast Group Inc. has threatened to block DISH customers' access to television stations in 45 cities across the country unless DISH accepts a massive price increase. The retransmission consent agreement between DISH and Sinclair expires August 15. If the companies fail to reach an agreement on price, DISH will no longer be allowed to carry Sinclair's signals.

"We carry more than 1,800 local broadcast stations nationwide. Sinclair is asking for more than any other station anywhere in the country," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of programming for DISH. "This goes beyond pure corporate greed -- it's profoundly insensitive to the needs of the public."

DISH has worked on retransmission contract negotiations with Sinclair for months, but Sinclair is insisting on a rate increase that would force DISH to pay more for those ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC channels than DISH pays to any other broadcaster. Sinclair also owns numerous stations such as CW and MyNetwork affiliates.

Higher costs will translate into higher fees for customers.

"We hope Sinclair will soon embrace a more reasonable attitude about price increases, so we can keep those channels on DISH," said Shull.
This year, broadcasting companies across the country have blacked out more than 50 channels on various pay-TV companies at various times. An industry watchdog group, American Television Alliance, recently called for U.S. Congress to "revamp the out of date rules" that favor those blackouts.

To learn more about DISH Network's negotiations with Sinclair Broadcasting, visit www.IControlMyTV.com.

About DISH
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.061 million satellite TV customers, as of June 30, 2012, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition line-up with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network Corporation's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

Does anyone know which stations we are talking about?

http://www.sbgi.net/...elevision.shtml

#8 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

It's hard not to support the providers here. Sinclair is the most poorly run stations in our market. Both CBS and Fox affiliate are run and/or owned by Sinclair. Horrible news, horrible tech issue, etc. They are greedy and provide nothing worthy of the fees they get. Much less more $$$$.

#9 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

If I lose the MLB playoffs and NFL football I will not be pleased. I can't get the channels with an OTA antenna either.

#10 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

This may not be as simple as, say, AMC Networks. According to Wikipedia Sinclair owns stations affiliated as follows...

Posted Image

...including the following stations:

Posted Image

Those missing 19 Fox, 11 ABC, and 9 CBS stations would be significant.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#11 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

odd that Dish hasn't come out with something like "Sinclair is demanding a 1000% increase in rates," and Sinclair hasn't said, "surely our channels are worth a half-penny more a day..." sort of statements.

Maybe those press releases will hit tomorrow.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

In my market - I'll never miss them....( My network and the CW).

besides - I get them great OTA (and in HD).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#13 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

This may not be as simple as, say, AMC Networks.

Yeah it is. The affiliates are the ones who will take the hit, so they can whine to the Sinclair Honchos.

I still say they should be paying to be carried, not getting paid for increasing their viewership.

In my market - I'll never miss them....( My network and the CW).

besides - I get them great OTA (and in HD).

Me too. The one station listed for my area I get OTA/HD and I almost never watch it anyways, even free.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

You really think the broadcaster is going to pull that many stations during the Romney moneybags ad space buy season?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#15 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

Funny. For the first time that I can remember DISH set up a website about the dispute.

#16 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

If this new dispute goes through and doesn't get resolved quickly I will be going back to cable. Losing AMC and now possibly Fox and CW (Baltimore). This will be the last straw.

What group of channels will be next??

I completely understand Dish's approach to try and keep prices low, but at some point I will still be paying the same amount but with a lot less channels. If they drop channels, my bill needs to go down as well.

We lost AMC, where is my compensation? Dish's cost went down when they stopped broadcasting AMC but my bill didn't.

I was with cable for 4 or 5+ years and no issues. Joined Dish and within weeks threats of channel disputes and the lose of AMC. And my TV bill isn't that much cheaper than cable, my $10/month less.

Edited by StringFellow, 13 August 2012 - 08:22 PM.

Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#17 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

You really think the broadcaster is going to pull that many stations during the Romney moneybags ad space buy season?

Yes, I absolutely do. This is Sinclair. They yanked their stations during BCS bowl games and NFL playoff, and MLB playoff more than once. They use them as leverage.

#18 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 811 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

Sinclair's list of all markets with their stations & network affiliations:

http://www.sbgi.net/business/all.shtml

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/65

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Those in affected markets may wish to look for channels 3 or 37. I believe there is a special message there.

#20 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,319 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

The complexity of the situation is the contrast between

a. the fact that nobody cares about the 20 My Network TV stations (nor the 6 This TV stations) and The CW's prime audience are so internet oriented the network caters to them by immediately streaming everything (though that won't please the employees at the 14 Sinclair-owned stations)

versus

b. the fact that the viewers of the 19 Fox, 11 ABC and 9 CBS stations will be very displeased if this goes on into the September Fall Season premiers.

Dish doesn't have to worry much about The CW and My Network TV channels in Las Vegas, but the ABC channel in St Louis and the Fox channel in Pittsburgh could be a problem.

The fact that it's an election year does create some advertising revenue pressure on Sinclair but the political pressure will fall heavily on Dish. The latter is particularly significant in Ohio, for instance.

And then we have the whole problem of the Sinclair package - again who gives a crap if they permanently lose The CW and My Network TV in the Raleigh-Durham DMA? But in Syracuse the Fox and My Network TV channels are a package. And, in fact, it's all a package deal.

It's not as simple as, say, the AMC Networks fight. The impact can be reduced if Dish helps folks get OTA reception. But many in these DMA's don't get OTA, Hoppers owners seem a bit short on OTA and if they did get it they couldn't use PTAT - in short, Dish can't give away a few Roku's to solve the problem.

I wish they could....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall