Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sinclair may pull locals from Dish on 8/16

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

DirecTV had the same problem with Tribune back in may. A good 30+ markets had channels pulled plus the national WGN channel. I think it took 4 days of black before they got a deal.

I'm siding with Dish on this one though, just like I sided with DirecTV. It has been noticed that in recent years, programmers have been asking for extreme price increases or unrealistic "all or nothing" carriage deals, such was the case with the recent Viacom/DirecTV dispute.

I say drop em for a week. They won't be able to last for much longer than that, and Dish will have a good deal. I guarantee you, people aren't fleeing anywhere the first week. Not even the second week.... so Dish (and DirecTV) will lose a LOT, LOT less than these stations will in advertising income that they now can't show to millions of Dish viewers in a variety of regions.

So even though I am not a Dish subscriber, I stand with Dish. Suck it, Sinclair!
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

And then we have the whole problem of the Sinclair package - again who gives a crap if they permanently lose The CW and My Network TV in the Raleigh-Durham DMA?

Hey! I resemble that remark... ;)

But seriously...

I'm in a weird boat on that.. being in that DMA. I actually don't care if they drop the SD feeds (all they currently have) because when I watch either of these I watch them OTA for HD.

BUT... if the new agreement would include carriage of the HD feeds... then I care.

I mostly care about CW in HD... but if MyNetwork was in HD I would watch sometimes because they have some local and college sports at times.

So... the current threat to drop doesn't bother me since I don't watch those SD channels... but I would like the HD feeds.

To that end... I actually took some time earlier and visited the Sinclair Web site and told them just that... that I didn't care much for the negotiating over price part of the conversation... but that I cared more about if they would get carriage of their HD feeds on Dish. I told them I wanted to watch the HD feeds on Dish, but didn't care otherwise.

Not that it will make a difference... but I can hope!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:04 AM

BUT... if the new agreement would include carriage of the HD feeds... then I care.

That is the good news for viewers when it comes to these mega owners. The importance of affiliates in bigger markets to the providers means that "package deals" that lead to carriage or better carriage of co-owned stations in other markets can be written. The down side is the markets that lose a major network while the owner plays chicken with a provider in order to get more money or better carriage. Most conflicts end in some carriage arrangement.

Here are two examples of arrangements that worked out better for the viewers in my market:

The first is WSBT, a CBS affiliate which at the time they were negotiating carriage had the UPN network on a sub-channel. DISH agreed to carry the sub-channel in order to get the major network ... and although UPN is long gone and the WB station became The CW, carriage of that sub-channel continues years later.

The second example is Weigle Broadcasting. In my market they own three low power stations ... which cannot exert a right to carriage. But they also own major network stations in other markets ... so since DISH wants the big stations elsewhere they ended up carrying all three of the low power stations (one of them being our ABC affiliate).

I am looking forward to the next contract fight with Weigel. I expect that will lead to CW in HD and carriage of the low power sub-channels for THIS, MeTV and Telemundo.

I do NOT support local stations holding out for money ... but I do support local stations and satellite carriers partnering together to get all the feeds carried via satellite. (I would not mind seeing the PBS channel carried in HD along with their channel's SD subfeed, but as a non-commercial channel they don't have the negotiating pull of the commercial channels.)

#24 ONLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

This could get very ugly. I remember the battle a few years ago between a rural community cable system and Sinclair over retransmission of the Peoria, IL station. Again Sinclair wanted an outrageous increase. The cable system eventually countered by asking its customers to contact the station's advertisers and warn them they would no longer patronized them. It dragged on for months before Sinclair backed down enough for them to reach an agreement.

#25 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Sinclair owns MyTv, which is worthless and they own the ABC station in Asheville, NC. I do watch certain shows on ABC. I'm not in favor of the Fed's stepping in but something needs to be done about these providers wanting outrageous fees. IT WILL take an act of Congress to change things.

#26 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

If we do lose local channels could Dish carry the networks from other areas to make up for the loss?

#27 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

If we do lose local channels could Dish carry the networks from other areas to make up for the loss?

No, that's the part the providers like dish want the FCC to change. If these stations are going to charge for retrans I think they need to loosen up the law. Those laws were bases on free over the air model.

#28 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

As long as it gets settled by 9/9 (first Packer's game on FOX47).

If not, I go buy an antenna.

#29 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

No, that's the part the providers like dish want the FCC to change. If these stations are going to charge for retrans I think they need to loosen up the law. Those laws were bases on free over the air model.

I think it's time the FCC stepped in and give permission for Dish to go ahead and be able to do this with federal mediation being allowed.

#30 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

free OTA modules for the Hoppers!!

#31 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

In my market - I'll never miss them....( My network and the CW).

Ditto for me. Two stations I NEVER watch.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#32 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

How about Dish carrying the Distant Network Stations?

#33 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

Retransmission fees need to be banned.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#34 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

And it's time for me to steer clear of the Dish Facebook page again. This is going to get ugly.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#35 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,001 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

Good thing that the deal for Sinclair to buy 6 stations from Newport won't close until December. That would have added 5 more major networks, including CBS in Cincinnati. Hopefully a deal will be made well before then.

#36 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

free OTA modules for the Hoppers!!

And what about us rural folk?? :)
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#37 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

as a subscriber to D* I am in full support of the clique that has E* and their channel negotiations..

But one has to ask...If DISH is REALLY looking out for us?? you guys with E* I mean.. (which every provider says during an outage or alleged pull) how come contracts cannot be negotiated if all subscribers do is pay their bills?

I can understand the hand in my hat mentality if there were delinquent people across the board not paying their monthly tabs at DISH and had to pull said channels because people aren't ponying up their bills...but its getting a bit tired now in that any provider cannot negotiate because 1 strong arms the other...they make plenty of money from the subscribers...WHERE IS IT ALL GOING???? that we have to have more ridiculous threats of channel pulls??

#38 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,622 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

If this new dispute goes through and doesn't get resolved quickly I will be going back to cable.

Cable is not immune to this. It's happening to CATV subs around the country as you are reading this reply.......

It's the new reality given the economy we are in coupled with all of the new technology the content providers are dealing with.

Here in Boston, the ABC affiliate (Channel 5) was down for weeks on Time Warner Cable.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#39 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Nothing in California plus OTA reception is great here.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#40 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

See http://www.nasdaq.co...-20120813-01154

I hardly watch local channels much and there not any Sinclair stations here. I'm sorry for people in those cities.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...