Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sinclair may pull locals from Dish on 8/16

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

If we do lose local channels could Dish carry the networks from other areas to make up for the loss?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 486 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

If we do lose local channels could Dish carry the networks from other areas to make up for the loss?

No, that's the part the providers like dish want the FCC to change. If these stations are going to charge for retrans I think they need to loosen up the law. Those laws were bases on free over the air model.

#28 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

As long as it gets settled by 9/9 (first Packer's game on FOX47).

If not, I go buy an antenna.

#29 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:52 AM

No, that's the part the providers like dish want the FCC to change. If these stations are going to charge for retrans I think they need to loosen up the law. Those laws were bases on free over the air model.

I think it's time the FCC stepped in and give permission for Dish to go ahead and be able to do this with federal mediation being allowed.

#30 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:53 AM

free OTA modules for the Hoppers!!

#31 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

In my market - I'll never miss them....( My network and the CW).

Ditto for me. Two stations I NEVER watch.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#32 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:54 AM

How about Dish carrying the Distant Network Stations?

#33 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,955 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

Retransmission fees need to be banned.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#34 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

And it's time for me to steer clear of the Dish Facebook page again. This is going to get ugly.

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

#35 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,206 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

Good thing that the deal for Sinclair to buy 6 stations from Newport won't close until December. That would have added 5 more major networks, including CBS in Cincinnati. Hopefully a deal will be made well before then.

#36 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

free OTA modules for the Hoppers!!

And what about us rural folk?? :)
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#37 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

as a subscriber to D* I am in full support of the clique that has E* and their channel negotiations..

But one has to ask...If DISH is REALLY looking out for us?? you guys with E* I mean.. (which every provider says during an outage or alleged pull) how come contracts cannot be negotiated if all subscribers do is pay their bills?

I can understand the hand in my hat mentality if there were delinquent people across the board not paying their monthly tabs at DISH and had to pull said channels because people aren't ponying up their bills...but its getting a bit tired now in that any provider cannot negotiate because 1 strong arms the other...they make plenty of money from the subscribers...WHERE IS IT ALL GOING???? that we have to have more ridiculous threats of channel pulls??

#38 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

If this new dispute goes through and doesn't get resolved quickly I will be going back to cable.

Cable is not immune to this. It's happening to CATV subs around the country as you are reading this reply.......

It's the new reality given the economy we are in coupled with all of the new technology the content providers are dealing with.

Here in Boston, the ABC affiliate (Channel 5) was down for weeks on Time Warner Cable.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 C41W-100, 1 WVBR0-01, 1 HR24-500

Original install on Apr. 20, 2008 - C41W & WVB self installed on Dec. 27, 2014 - HR34 & C31 installed on Aug. 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#39 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Nothing in California plus OTA reception is great here.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#40 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

See http://www.nasdaq.co...-20120813-01154

I hardly watch local channels much and there not any Sinclair stations here. I'm sorry for people in those cities.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#41 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,216 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

If this new dispute goes through and doesn't get resolved quickly I will be going back to cable. Losing AMC and now possibly Fox and CW (Baltimore). This will be the last straw.

What group of channels will be next??

I completely understand Dish's approach to try and keep prices low, but at some point I will still be paying the same amount but with a lot less channels. If they drop channels, my bill needs to go down as well.

We lost AMC, where is my compensation? Dish's cost went down when they stopped broadcasting AMC but my bill didn't.

I was with cable for 4 or 5+ years and no issues. Joined Dish and within weeks threats of channel disputes and the lose of AMC. And my TV bill isn't that much cheaper than cable, my $10/month less.

Cable companies give in easily. Thus your go up more.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#42 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

I just sent an email to Sinclair corporate and told them what they could do with their stations and their greed. I told them to pull their stations and screw their local stations out of ad revenue. I feel better although it won't do any good.

#43 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Sadly it looks like all Sinclair stations will be gone by tomorrow. Hope they're back by fall premiers.

#44 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Sadly it looks like all Sinclair stations will be gone by tomorrow. Hope they're back by fall premiers.

Looks like your email didn't work after all....... :grin:

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 C41W-100, 1 WVBR0-01, 1 HR24-500

Original install on Apr. 20, 2008 - C41W & WVB self installed on Dec. 27, 2014 - HR34 & C31 installed on Aug. 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#45 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Looks like your email didn't work after all....... :grin:

I didn't expect much from my email. I guess I'll just check back thru the weeks to see if there's any progress being made in negotiations. :nono2:

#46 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,955 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Unable to come to terms on a new distribution deal, it is very likely that Sinclair Broadcast Group, the largest owner of TV stations in the United States, will pull its signals from satellite broadcaster Dish Network on Wednesday.

That means Dish subscribers in the almost 50 markets where Sinclair owns stations will be without programming from Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC and the CW Network.

Both sides are already spinning the media and their subscribers. Dish says Sinclair wants a "massive price increase" and accuses the Baltimore-based broadcaster of being greedy and adds that "higher costs will translate into higher fees for customers."

Sinclair countered that "the prices it is requesting for its extremely popular stations are substantially lower than the amounts Dish is paying for other far less popular channels."

But while the two are taking shots at each other, in an interview, Sinclair Executive Vice President and General Counsel Barry Faber named a few other culprits -- Saints quarterback Drew Brees and the cast of ABC's hit comedy "Modern Family."

http://www.latimes.c...,0,800350.story
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,749 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Interesting that there's a preponderance of Fox and CBS, while NBC has but one station involved with Sinclair. Must be some reason(s) for that tilt. Also no stations in CA.

I am hoping for the right outcome for my brethren at Dish.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Retransmission fees need to be banned.

Yes, that would end all this nonsense. The FCC has pretty much made satellite carry the locals. (For instance carry one carry all) Now tell the networks they can not charge because they are protected from competition, and all but forced to be carried on the Sats. And in today's world, with far less antennas up and so many people living far from the transmitters, they need satellite to carry them.

#49 OFFLINE   packerfan31

packerfan31

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

chance sinclair channels restored?

#50 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

The FCC is a regulatory agency, and it only can act under authority given it from Congress. The latest version of the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act, passed by Congress and signed into law in 2010, governs the reception of distant network stations by satellite. I don't believe that there is any authority Congress gave to the FCC to modify the circumstances under which distant network stations may be viewed. Therefore, if a station is dropped from Dish because the station withdraws its retransmission consent, Dish cannot provide a distant replacement station except to those viewers who are in the market but cannot receive a signal from the local station with a rooftop antenna. So basically the subscriber must get a rooftop antenna if he/she wants to continue to view the local. There are some exceptions and the law states things more specifically than I have, but this is basically it.

So an act of Congress is required to allow satellite to carry distants when the locals are withdrawn due to lack of retransmission consent. I don't think that is likely to occur.

Edited by runner861, 14 August 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...