Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sinclair may pull locals from Dish on 8/16

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

It would also be a problem for people in those areas with only the Hopper/Joey receivers since it does not yet have OTA capability.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

I can't get locals ota. Would I qualify for distant nets?

#53 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Retransmission fees need to be banned.

Wait until the new NFL rights contract goes into effect in 2014, with CBS, Fox (broadcasting) and NBC having committed to pay 61% more annually for the rights. (Which they were "forced" to do so b/c of ESPN's 5+/sub revenue stream).

Many will ask Congress to ban retransmission fees, and the affiliates will claim that they can't, given the contracts they have signed. The affiliates will claim that they assumed substantial hikes in retransmission fees when they agreed (late in 2011) to the new NFL contract.

Ideally, at that point, Congress will act. But it will act against ESPN, mandating that all TV distributors MUST enable all PayTV subscribers to opt out of sports programming.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#54 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Call AAD and ask. You might. Dish isn't offering distants at this time, as far as I know. AAD may offer you distants in SD, and if you can't get locals ota, AAD can continue to provide distants to you even if you receive locals from Dish.

#55 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

chance sinclair channels restored?

99.99% These markets are too large to miss locals in and say they won't ever come back. The churn once they start to go dark will be substantial especially with college and pro football going on now. Sinclaiir can also level the AMC loss in telling people to leave DISH because they'll point that DISH has a "history" of not renewing stations. This one will get ugly fast if they go dark. Sinclair will level sports in the big markets and DISH will leverage price but sports will win with most people impacted by cox/cbs and Sinclair knows it. Hopefully this gets resolved fast for the consumers as I don't see DISH holding their ground long on this one. Maybe with the loss of AMC they can shift some of that into this deal and still come out ahead.

#56 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 724 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

Almost certainly not.

This one is tough. We went through this last year when the guy who owned our Fox and CBS affiliates (and others in the state) threatened to pull them if he didn't get an increase. While I felt like he was asking too much and sent emails and letters to all of the local advertisers I could find on his networks and copied him, I also knew that I wasn't going to go any extended time with a provider who didn't carry two of the major networks. So if they did go dark and stay dark, I'd have felt forced to switch providers.

We can't get the networks OTA very well here, so the options were pretty much switch providers or go without. Had no interest in trying to find the shows online via other boss, etc. plus many of our favorite shows were not available online. Dish told us no options for out of market networks.

The problem for Dish is that so many people effected are only going to care that suddenly their Fox or ABC or CBS channels will be dark. They won't give a crap whose fault it is they will just want their TV shows back. Most people have no desire to get in the middle of fights etc they just want to come home, turn on their TV and watch their favorite shows.

#57 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Question for all those saying they'll quit if they don't get their locals .......

What did you do before Dish started carrying locals? It's really a fairly recent practice after all; probably less than 5 years in many markets.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#58 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 724 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Question for all those saying they'll quit if they don't get their locals .......

What did you do before Dish started carrying locals? It's really a fairly recent practice after all; probably less than 5 years in many markets.

I actually switched from DirectTV after 15 years with them to Dish when we moved here a few years ago because DirectTV wasn't carrying the locals here.

I have known a LOT of people when we lived in areas where satellite didn't carry locals (we have moved around a lot) who just wouldn't move from cable to satellite until satellite carried the locals. In this area, no one would subscribe to DirectTV until they carried the locals, since Dish and cable did carry them.

In the old days (I've had satellite since 1995) if DirectTV didn't carry your locals they gave you both east coast and west coast networks which was cool because it was time shifting before TiVo. We carried very basic cable just to watch the local news.

#59 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Valid question. I think a partial answer is getting digital channels is more challenging than getting analog. When I am in Eastern Ct, in the past I was not able to get distants for anything except ABC, WTNH channel signal barely reached. Now, I get all of the networks from AAD, because I am not expected to get any of them in Ct,. ( I can get Springfield Mass)

When in Tampa, it took a better antenna, put higher to get all the networks.

Also in the past, you would get distants if in a white zone. Still can with AAD but that means spending more and in SD only. Even if Dish gave distants, they (or Direct) can't anymore if they give your locals.(Due to law change) Being in a dispute of course does not change that they give your locals.

So with those changes alot more people can't get an OTA signal, and have no recourse if they are in a white zone, except AAD. I will just say, to fill in if you are going to lose a local for awhile, you can at least get it in SD from AAD, if you know how.....

#60 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

If there is no settlement by Thursday this WILL get real ugly real fast as there will be no justification in letting networks go dark in 45 markets. Could Dish have a contingency plan? We'll know very soon. I don't think any kind of streaming will help this one.

#61 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 16,234 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Could have got the cable systems basic service which included the locals and a couple public interest channels, my system had them for about $10/month.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,407 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

If there is no settlement by Thursday this WILL get real ugly real fast as there will be no justification in letting networks go dark in 45 markets. Could Dish have a contingency plan? We'll know very soon. I don't think any kind of streaming will help this one.

Viacom, Fox ... there have been bigger issues than Sinclair. The people in these markets will be impacted ... but Sinclair is NOT "the one station group DISH can't lose" - not by a long shot.

Three years ago there was a quick agreement ... if this year's negotiations lead to an outage so be it. DISH can't just cave in to the demands of local broadcasters --- sometimes that means a few days (or a month) without a station group. It will get worked out.

#63 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,295 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

Looking at the list, this will really hurt in a city like Columbus where they'll lose two major networks. How it can be that one company can control two networks in the same area is beyond me. I'm glad that the Sinclair purchase of Cincinnati's WKRC hasn't closed yet.

#64 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Valid question. I think a partial answer is getting digital channels is more challenging than getting analog.

Bingo, and a point rarely made.

The government should mandate that all broadcast stations must install enough repeaters to ensure that the same household that was able to receive an analog signal can receive a digital one.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#65 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

Looking at the list, this will really hurt in a city like Columbus where they'll lose two major networks. How it can be that one company can control two networks in the same area is beyond me.

That's another area the Feds need to crack down on. No way should it ever have been allowed, and these disputes are a perfect reason to force divestiture.

#66 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

I don't think any kind of streaming will help this one.

It might. Many of the affected networks run their shows on-line and most of the local stations run at least their local news and weather on-line.

#67 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,407 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

The government should mandate that all broadcast stations must install enough repeaters to ensure that the same household that was able to receive an analog signal can receive a digital one.

If you read the government's coverage maps they believe they HAVE replicated the analog signal coverage with a digital signal. Some of the coverage maps in my area show increased coverage (additional population served).

I have not heard much about distributed transmitters in the past couple of years. The current push seems to be taking away broadcast spectrum and pushing stations to SD or paired HD channels while continuing to protect the rights to the programs broadcasters air.

#68 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,659 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

Cable companies give in easily. Thus your go up more.

Time Warner has had some brutal fights here in los angeles in the past, so I wouldn't say they give in that easy...

#69 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,659 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

Ideally, at that point, Congress will act. But it will act against ESPN, mandating that all TV distributors MUST enable all PayTV subscribers to opt out of sports programming.

That will never happen. Zero chance. The only thing congress might take on is re transmission fees of publicly available stations that are ota and therefore the stations are using bandwidth that was literally given to them by the people. They will never start mandating pricing or packaging for cable stations and providers.

Viacom, Fox ... there have been bigger issues than Sinclair. The people in these markets will be impacted ... but Sinclair is NOT "the one station group DISH can't lose" - not by a long shot.

Three years ago there was a quick agreement ... if this year's negotiations lead to an outage so be it. DISH can't just cave in to the demands of local broadcasters --- sometimes that means a few days (or a month) without a station group. It will get worked out.

I say good for Dish. I don't think there is any one or two channels, heck, I'd say any provider can loose 10% of their channels and not lose to much if need be, especially in the shorter run. These things hurt the channels far more than the providers these days unless these things go on for a very extended time IMHO. I am firmly on the provider side on every dispute, and I hope Dish holds out till they get what they are after, just like Directv did with Viacom and Tribune.

AMC is an excellent example of Dish holding their ground, so I suspect they will continue to do so with this dispute.

#70 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

Sinclair's name was mud in my book during the whole 8VSB vs COFDM debate. Nothing they do surprises me anymore.

#71 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:17 AM

That will never happen. Zero chance. The only thing congress might take on is re transmission fees of publicly available stations that are ota and therefore the stations are using bandwidth that was literally given to them by the people. They will never start mandating pricing or packaging for cable stations and providers.

I say good for Dish. I don't think there is any one or two channels, heck, I'd say any provider can loose 10% of their channels and not lose to much if need be, especially in the shorter run. These things hurt the channels far more than the providers these days unless these things go on for a very extended time IMHO. I am firmly on the provider side on every dispute, and I hope Dish holds out till they get what they are after, just like Directv did with Viacom and Tribune.

AMC is an excellent example of Dish holding their ground, so I suspect they will continue to do so with this dispute.

I'm with Dish. I hate to see networks go dark but I also don't like to have a big Iprice hike. This may get ugly but I hope Dish holds out for a fair deal. I guess we'll just sing "the party's over" at:lol: midnight tonight.

#72 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

That's another area the Feds need to crack down on. No way should it ever have been allowed, and these disputes are a perfect reason to force divestiture.

+1

#73 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 724 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

I'm with Dish. I hate to see networks go dark but I also don't like to have a big Iprice hike. This may get ugly but I hope Dish holds out for a fair deal. I guess we'll just sing "the party's over" at:lol: midnight tonight.

In the situation here, the banners were up on the Fox and CBS channels saying "Dish will be dropping this station at midnight tonight!" up until midnight the night before the deadline. I woke up the next morning expecting the channels to be dark, and was relieved to see them still up.

That said, quite a few people here switched to DirectTV during the dispute. You could see their install trucks in every neighborhood, and chatting with the installer, he said all of their installs those weeks were Dish people not wanting to lose half their networks. I tried to tell some people at work to wait until the deadline hit but they said they didn't want to have to go without the networks while waiting for an appointment to install. Also, as people called DirectTV to check D* would give them some really attractive deals.

If I had to bet I'd bet there won't be a blackout, but when it happened here the newspaper did some polling (not owned by the same people!) and people faulted Dish about 9-1 so I think for the average viewer, Dish loses on these.

#74 OFFLINE   cpufixer

cpufixer

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

This is why I am a DISH customer. They stand up to these broadcasters. Pull the plug. It's summer time and no one is watching anyway.

#75 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

If you read the government's coverage maps they believe they HAVE replicated the analog signal coverage with a digital signal. Some of the coverage maps in my area show increased coverage (additional population served).

I have not heard much about distributed transmitters in the past couple of years. The current push seems to be taking away broadcast spectrum and pushing stations to SD or paired HD channels while continuing to protect the rights to the programs broadcasters air.

Can you publish a link to the coverage maps?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...