Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sinclair may pull locals from Dish on 8/16

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

If this new dispute goes through and doesn't get resolved quickly I will be going back to cable. Losing AMC and now possibly Fox and CW (Baltimore). This will be the last straw.

What group of channels will be next??

I completely understand Dish's approach to try and keep prices low, but at some point I will still be paying the same amount but with a lot less channels. If they drop channels, my bill needs to go down as well.

We lost AMC, where is my compensation? Dish's cost went down when they stopped broadcasting AMC but my bill didn't.

I was with cable for 4 or 5+ years and no issues. Joined Dish and within weeks threats of channel disputes and the lose of AMC. And my TV bill isn't that much cheaper than cable, my $10/month less.

Cable companies give in easily. Thus your go up more.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

I just sent an email to Sinclair corporate and told them what they could do with their stations and their greed. I told them to pull their stations and screw their local stations out of ad revenue. I feel better although it won't do any good.

#43 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Sadly it looks like all Sinclair stations will be gone by tomorrow. Hope they're back by fall premiers.

#44 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Sadly it looks like all Sinclair stations will be gone by tomorrow. Hope they're back by fall premiers.

Looks like your email didn't work after all....... :grin:

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#45 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Looks like your email didn't work after all....... :grin:

I didn't expect much from my email. I guess I'll just check back thru the weeks to see if there's any progress being made in negotiations. :nono2:

#46 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Unable to come to terms on a new distribution deal, it is very likely that Sinclair Broadcast Group, the largest owner of TV stations in the United States, will pull its signals from satellite broadcaster Dish Network on Wednesday.

That means Dish subscribers in the almost 50 markets where Sinclair owns stations will be without programming from Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC and the CW Network.

Both sides are already spinning the media and their subscribers. Dish says Sinclair wants a "massive price increase" and accuses the Baltimore-based broadcaster of being greedy and adds that "higher costs will translate into higher fees for customers."

Sinclair countered that "the prices it is requesting for its extremely popular stations are substantially lower than the amounts Dish is paying for other far less popular channels."

But while the two are taking shots at each other, in an interview, Sinclair Executive Vice President and General Counsel Barry Faber named a few other culprits -- Saints quarterback Drew Brees and the cast of ABC's hit comedy "Modern Family."

http://www.latimes.c...,0,800350.story
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,626 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Interesting that there's a preponderance of Fox and CBS, while NBC has but one station involved with Sinclair. Must be some reason(s) for that tilt. Also no stations in CA.

I am hoping for the right outcome for my brethren at Dish.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

Retransmission fees need to be banned.

Yes, that would end all this nonsense. The FCC has pretty much made satellite carry the locals. (For instance carry one carry all) Now tell the networks they can not charge because they are protected from competition, and all but forced to be carried on the Sats. And in today's world, with far less antennas up and so many people living far from the transmitters, they need satellite to carry them.

#49 OFFLINE   packerfan31

packerfan31

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

chance sinclair channels restored?

#50 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

The FCC is a regulatory agency, and it only can act under authority given it from Congress. The latest version of the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act, passed by Congress and signed into law in 2010, governs the reception of distant network stations by satellite. I don't believe that there is any authority Congress gave to the FCC to modify the circumstances under which distant network stations may be viewed. Therefore, if a station is dropped from Dish because the station withdraws its retransmission consent, Dish cannot provide a distant replacement station except to those viewers who are in the market but cannot receive a signal from the local station with a rooftop antenna. So basically the subscriber must get a rooftop antenna if he/she wants to continue to view the local. There are some exceptions and the law states things more specifically than I have, but this is basically it.

So an act of Congress is required to allow satellite to carry distants when the locals are withdrawn due to lack of retransmission consent. I don't think that is likely to occur.

Edited by runner861, 14 August 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:17 PM

It would also be a problem for people in those areas with only the Hopper/Joey receivers since it does not yet have OTA capability.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#52 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

I can't get locals ota. Would I qualify for distant nets?

#53 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

Retransmission fees need to be banned.

Wait until the new NFL rights contract goes into effect in 2014, with CBS, Fox (broadcasting) and NBC having committed to pay 61% more annually for the rights. (Which they were "forced" to do so b/c of ESPN's 5+/sub revenue stream).

Many will ask Congress to ban retransmission fees, and the affiliates will claim that they can't, given the contracts they have signed. The affiliates will claim that they assumed substantial hikes in retransmission fees when they agreed (late in 2011) to the new NFL contract.

Ideally, at that point, Congress will act. But it will act against ESPN, mandating that all TV distributors MUST enable all PayTV subscribers to opt out of sports programming.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#54 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

Call AAD and ask. You might. Dish isn't offering distants at this time, as far as I know. AAD may offer you distants in SD, and if you can't get locals ota, AAD can continue to provide distants to you even if you receive locals from Dish.

#55 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

chance sinclair channels restored?

99.99% These markets are too large to miss locals in and say they won't ever come back. The churn once they start to go dark will be substantial especially with college and pro football going on now. Sinclaiir can also level the AMC loss in telling people to leave DISH because they'll point that DISH has a "history" of not renewing stations. This one will get ugly fast if they go dark. Sinclair will level sports in the big markets and DISH will leverage price but sports will win with most people impacted by cox/cbs and Sinclair knows it. Hopefully this gets resolved fast for the consumers as I don't see DISH holding their ground long on this one. Maybe with the loss of AMC they can shift some of that into this deal and still come out ahead.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#56 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

Almost certainly not.

This one is tough. We went through this last year when the guy who owned our Fox and CBS affiliates (and others in the state) threatened to pull them if he didn't get an increase. While I felt like he was asking too much and sent emails and letters to all of the local advertisers I could find on his networks and copied him, I also knew that I wasn't going to go any extended time with a provider who didn't carry two of the major networks. So if they did go dark and stay dark, I'd have felt forced to switch providers.

We can't get the networks OTA very well here, so the options were pretty much switch providers or go without. Had no interest in trying to find the shows online via other boss, etc. plus many of our favorite shows were not available online. Dish told us no options for out of market networks.

The problem for Dish is that so many people effected are only going to care that suddenly their Fox or ABC or CBS channels will be dark. They won't give a crap whose fault it is they will just want their TV shows back. Most people have no desire to get in the middle of fights etc they just want to come home, turn on their TV and watch their favorite shows.

#57 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

Question for all those saying they'll quit if they don't get their locals .......

What did you do before Dish started carrying locals? It's really a fairly recent practice after all; probably less than 5 years in many markets.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#58 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Question for all those saying they'll quit if they don't get their locals .......

What did you do before Dish started carrying locals? It's really a fairly recent practice after all; probably less than 5 years in many markets.

I actually switched from DirectTV after 15 years with them to Dish when we moved here a few years ago because DirectTV wasn't carrying the locals here.

I have known a LOT of people when we lived in areas where satellite didn't carry locals (we have moved around a lot) who just wouldn't move from cable to satellite until satellite carried the locals. In this area, no one would subscribe to DirectTV until they carried the locals, since Dish and cable did carry them.

In the old days (I've had satellite since 1995) if DirectTV didn't carry your locals they gave you both east coast and west coast networks which was cool because it was time shifting before TiVo. We carried very basic cable just to watch the local news.

#59 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Valid question. I think a partial answer is getting digital channels is more challenging than getting analog. When I am in Eastern Ct, in the past I was not able to get distants for anything except ABC, WTNH channel signal barely reached. Now, I get all of the networks from AAD, because I am not expected to get any of them in Ct,. ( I can get Springfield Mass)

When in Tampa, it took a better antenna, put higher to get all the networks.

Also in the past, you would get distants if in a white zone. Still can with AAD but that means spending more and in SD only. Even if Dish gave distants, they (or Direct) can't anymore if they give your locals.(Due to law change) Being in a dispute of course does not change that they give your locals.

So with those changes alot more people can't get an OTA signal, and have no recourse if they are in a white zone, except AAD. I will just say, to fill in if you are going to lose a local for awhile, you can at least get it in SD from AAD, if you know how.....

#60 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

If there is no settlement by Thursday this WILL get real ugly real fast as there will be no justification in letting networks go dark in 45 markets. Could Dish have a contingency plan? We'll know very soon. I don't think any kind of streaming will help this one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...