Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sinclair may pull locals from Dish on 8/16

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,186 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Either Congress will step in, sooner or later or people will get disgusted and go OTA & streaming only.

In these cases where we are talking about disputes with local channels... going to OTA wouldn't punish anyone but the customer.

If your local demands more money, Dish says no... and you go to OTA to "teach them a lesson"... to whom have you taught the lesson? You will have punished Dish for trying to keep prices down, and rewarded the channel that threatened and took itself off the air. That seems backwards to me.

-- Friday Friday Friday... the 13th!

What I do when I'm not here

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

In these cases where we are talking about disputes with local channels... going to OTA wouldn't punish anyone but the customer.

If your local demands more money, Dish says no... and you go to OTA to "teach them a lesson"... to whom have you taught the lesson? You will have punished Dish for trying to keep prices down, and rewarded the channel that threatened and took itself off the air. That seems backwards to me.

I never mentioned teaching anyone a lesson. I also did not say I would leave. What I was trying to say is that I believe many pay TV subscribers will eventually get disgusted and call down a Biblical style plague on the channels and the providers and leave.

This is true and not true as I see it. If you go OTA the channel gets no more fee from the provider, Satellite or cable. So both will lose in that scenario. The provider more so of course.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#128 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

http://www.google.co...53d55bb4e1b6b0e

Now everyone in those cities can watch the network junk again:lol::lol::lol: I'm not a fan.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#129 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,186 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

I never mentioned teaching anyone a lesson. I also did not say I would leave. What I was trying to say is that I believe many pay TV subscribers will eventually get disgusted and call down a Biblical style plague on the channels and the providers and leave.

This is true and not true as I see it. If you go OTA the channel gets no more fee from the provider, Satellite or cable. So both will lose in that scenario. The provider more so of course.

I wasn't speaking to you specifically, but to the concept.

I can see where leaving the provider might make sense... but if you still patronize the OTA channel that started the mess in the first place, then you aren't punishing the right entity. That was the point I was making.

When McDonald's gives you consistently poor service... you stop going there and go to Burger King... you don't just stop using the McDonald's drive-thru but keep eating in the restaurant! That wouldn't make sense. It only makes sense if you take your business elsewhere.

#130 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,807 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

but if you still patronize the OTA channel that started the mess in the first place, then you aren't punishing the right entity.

Watching (or not watching) a station OTA is not punishing or rewarding anyone since no one really knows who is watching and who isn't. When you subscribe to locals via a carrier, they pay the local accordingly. You don't subscribe, they don't get paid, but you can still watch OTA.

Customer gets programming.

Provider gets squat.

Carrier saves (since we suspect the carrier actually loses money in the long run by carrying locals).

I'd rather pay to put up a better antenna than pay any carrier for any locals.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#131 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

DISH has paid for a fiberoptic network linking every television market to their network of uplink centers. DISH has 10 uplink centers around the country that exist only to uplink local channels. (Two additional centers uplink the national feeds.) DISH has designed and purchased more expensive spot beam satellites to receive those uplinks and downlink the channels to the appropriate markets.

There are costs involved in getting a local TV channel on the satellite service. As long as there are costs for the carrier there will be a charge to the customer. If you are paying ANY satellite or cable system for service, you are paying for locals.

#132 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

We need to lobby for congress to require free carriage of locals in DMA or neighboring DMA if there is a missing netwoek affiliate AND bar carriers (satellite and cable) from charging subscribers for locals.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#133 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Go ahead and drop 'em. My OTA antenna can pick them up just fine.

Sinclair owns too many TV stations. I wish they never relaxed the ownership laws. It's ridiculous that they own (or "operate") three stations in some markets.

Also, this company forces its stations to air "Documentaries" promoting their political views, even if the local station managers protest. I'm sure they will be airing another "documentary" smearing Obama as the elections draw closer.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#134 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

Watching (or not watching) a station OTA is not punishing or rewarding anyone since no one really knows who is watching and who isn't. When you subscribe to locals via a carrier, they pay the local accordingly. You don't subscribe, they don't get paid, but you can still watch OTA.

Customer gets programming.

Provider gets squat.

Carrier saves (since we suspect the carrier actually loses money in the long run by carrying locals).

Actually, the provider still gets advertising revenue, they just don't get their bonus retrans fee from you.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#135 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

Interesting, is it not, that Dish's stock price dropped on the news of the deal?

#136 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

Interesting, is it not, that Dish's stock price dropped on the news of the deal?

DISH's stock closed Friday at the highest point for the month. The highest point since early May.

Stocks fluctuate. Anything "lost" has been more than made up.

#137 ONLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:41 AM

If your purpose is to teach the local a lesson about being greedy do it through their advertisers. Let the largest advertisers know you are not happy with what the local is doing and will no longer purchase from companies who advertise on the channel. You as an individual won't make a difference, but if enough others do the same the station will get the message in their wallet. As posted early in this thread, I saw this happen during a local vs cable company dispute. It works.

#138 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 721 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

Be interesting to know who caved the most in the agreement.

#139 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,186 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

Be interesting to know who caved the most in the agreement.

Technically speaking, nobody has officially caved yet... since they said it was a 2 week extension for an "agreement in principle"... IF they truly agreed, it would be a done deal and not a 2 week extension... so I'm kind of half-expecting in another week to see another round of "Dish is going to drop us" warnings form Sinclair.

#140 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Technically speaking, nobody has officially caved yet... since they said it was a 2 week extension for an "agreement in principle"... IF they truly agreed, it would be a done deal and not a 2 week extension... so I'm kind of half-expecting in another week to see another round of "Dish is going to drop us" warnings form Sinclair.

I would not be surprised either since football will be starting then and a lot more people will be upset to lose their locals. Might have been a real smart delay by Sinclair.

#141 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

So according to my math the two weeks are up. Any new word?

#142 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,186 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

So according to my math the two weeks are up. Any new word?

Time for new math :)

Stations were due to drop on 8/16... two weeks from that would be 8/30...

But, aside from the nitpick, you're right. No new info, but things must be going well or surely we would have started hearing the ranting from Sinclair about "losing your favorite programming" by now.

#143 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,186 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

I don't expect a direct reply... but I sent a note to Sinclair and asked for an update... and echoed my hope that this negotiation also included HD retransmission for channels not already carried in HD by Dish.

Original drop-dead date was 8/16... then we got an "agreement in principle" and a 2 week extension under the old contract.

So... either a new contract starts tomorrow (maybe 9/1 if they move it to a calendar month being so close) OR we are still on the chopping block.

I take the lack of "Dish is dropping us" messages lately to be a positive sign that the agreement in principle is becoming final... but I still would like to see official word AND hope for a positive spin on my local CW and MyNetwork affiliates.

I just read on another forum that DirecTV added MyNetwork (they already had CW) and another local (our local spanish channel) in HD this week... so that's more pressure in my market for Dish to step up with more HD LiL feeds.

#144 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

I just read on another forum that DirecTV added MyNetwork (they already had CW) and another local (our local spanish channel) in HD this week... so that's more pressure in my market for Dish to step up with more HD LiL feeds.

With the number of markets involved one needs to look at the bigger picture.

As far as HD carriage ... carry one/carry all HD is in full effect in February. Only the primary HD feed must be carried from each channel, but channels can negotiate carriage of sub channels and second HD feeds. And barring any nasty surprises DISH's new satellite will be up and running at 61.5 in plenty of time to serve all of the HD local channels in Eastern Arc. At least, all of the channels that agree to be carried.

#145 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,186 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

With the number of markets involved one needs to look at the bigger picture.

As far as HD carriage ... carry one/carry all HD is in full effect in February. Only the primary HD feed must be carried from each channel, but channels can negotiate carriage of sub channels and second HD feeds. And barring any nasty surprises DISH's new satellite will be up and running at 61.5 in plenty of time to serve all of the HD local channels in Eastern Arc. At least, all of the channels that agree to be carried.

I wasn't meaning to complain so much as... if they are in a negotiation with Sinclair anyway, it just seems like now would be the time to negotiate the HD LiLs too. So I keep hoping anyway :)

#146 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

Word from the trenches is the deal is done.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#147 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,186 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Word from the trenches is the deal is done.

I'm guessing since the channels didn't go dark, all is well... but really odd not to have seen a more official announcement by now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...