Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sinclair may pull locals from Dish on 8/16

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

So according to my math the two weeks are up. Any new word?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

So according to my math the two weeks are up. Any new word?

Time for new math :)

Stations were due to drop on 8/16... two weeks from that would be 8/30...

But, aside from the nitpick, you're right. No new info, but things must be going well or surely we would have started hearing the ranting from Sinclair about "losing your favorite programming" by now.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#143 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

I don't expect a direct reply... but I sent a note to Sinclair and asked for an update... and echoed my hope that this negotiation also included HD retransmission for channels not already carried in HD by Dish.

Original drop-dead date was 8/16... then we got an "agreement in principle" and a 2 week extension under the old contract.

So... either a new contract starts tomorrow (maybe 9/1 if they move it to a calendar month being so close) OR we are still on the chopping block.

I take the lack of "Dish is dropping us" messages lately to be a positive sign that the agreement in principle is becoming final... but I still would like to see official word AND hope for a positive spin on my local CW and MyNetwork affiliates.

I just read on another forum that DirecTV added MyNetwork (they already had CW) and another local (our local spanish channel) in HD this week... so that's more pressure in my market for Dish to step up with more HD LiL feeds.

#144 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

I just read on another forum that DirecTV added MyNetwork (they already had CW) and another local (our local spanish channel) in HD this week... so that's more pressure in my market for Dish to step up with more HD LiL feeds.

With the number of markets involved one needs to look at the bigger picture.

As far as HD carriage ... carry one/carry all HD is in full effect in February. Only the primary HD feed must be carried from each channel, but channels can negotiate carriage of sub channels and second HD feeds. And barring any nasty surprises DISH's new satellite will be up and running at 61.5 in plenty of time to serve all of the HD local channels in Eastern Arc. At least, all of the channels that agree to be carried.

#145 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

With the number of markets involved one needs to look at the bigger picture.

As far as HD carriage ... carry one/carry all HD is in full effect in February. Only the primary HD feed must be carried from each channel, but channels can negotiate carriage of sub channels and second HD feeds. And barring any nasty surprises DISH's new satellite will be up and running at 61.5 in plenty of time to serve all of the HD local channels in Eastern Arc. At least, all of the channels that agree to be carried.

I wasn't meaning to complain so much as... if they are in a negotiation with Sinclair anyway, it just seems like now would be the time to negotiate the HD LiLs too. So I keep hoping anyway :)

#146 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

Word from the trenches is the deal is done.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#147 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

Word from the trenches is the deal is done.

I'm guessing since the channels didn't go dark, all is well... but really odd not to have seen a more official announcement by now.

spam firewall