Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Planning on returning to Dish

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

I just got a $20/month increase to $175 from Time Warner with a promise of another $25 within a year. I was a Dish subscriber in upstate New York 8 years ago and when I moved down here, decided to go with Time Warner for cable because installation was simpler and later added phone and internet because we were having problems with Windstream DSL.
We have seven TV's in the house - 5 HD, 2 SD. I went to the local Dish retailer and got an estimate for what thee cost for TV only service would be around $130 plus tax a month after the first year promotional period, for a system with 2 Hoppers and 5 Joeys (I'd have to purchase the fifth Joey). Next, I'll have to determine the cost for phone and internet service. I prefer not to bundle it with TV.
At worst, the price will be about the same as I'm currently paying. At best, I'll be getting America's 250, a free Roku HD box, 6 months free Hulu+, Sirius/XM music channels and all the goodies that come with the 250 package.
Looks tempting. I have to finish my investigation, then present the plan to my family.

Edited by Cholly, 14 August 2012 - 07:31 AM.
Corrected number of Joeys.and spelling

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

Only thing I might recommend for you... if you're going to have to buy that seventh Joey anyway... Consider possibly getting a 3rd Hopper instead of that 7th Joey so you can have some more available tuners for DVRing.

A 3rd Hopper isn't going to be able to "see" the first two... but depending on how you want to use/view things in your home there might be more value in having that than a seventh Joey.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

7 TVs, you only need 5 Joeys.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

7 TVs, you only need 5 Joeys.

Good catch... I should have checked his math!

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

3rd Hopper isn't going to be able to "see" the first two... but depending on how you want to use/view things in your home there might be more value in having that than a seventh Joey.

Down someone post a diagram of how to do that already? Involved plugging a 3rd output into a duo node or something...

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,208 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

Down someone post a diagram of how to do that already? Involved plugging a 3rd output into a duo node or something...

Basically connecting the "to client" connection on the duo node with the "to client" connection on a solo node. Anything that ties the network together.

There are other ways that they can be connected ... but just like Joeys on Ethernet (no coax connection) one should consider the "client to client" connection and other hacks "unsupported".

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

Basically connecting the "to client" connection on the duo node with the "to client" connection on a solo node. Anything that ties the network together.

There are other ways that they can be connected ... but just like Joeys on Ethernet (no coax connection) one should consider the "client to client" connection and other hacks "unsupported".

That's what I was thinking... Given that I don't have the configuration to test... I was going based on what I understood to be officially supported configurations. Something might kind of sort of work right now... but at any time an unsupported config might be yanked.

A perfect example of this?

When the 922 first came out you could use SlingPlayer software on your computer to access the 922 just like a SlingBox... but Dish had that functionality disabled at some point so that you were forced to go through their Web portal OR use the mobile apps.

So... connections that might work now, might not work tomorrow if they choose to disable something in firmware.

#8 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Only reason I brought it up was because I don't think they can take that away without taking away Hopper to Hopper comms entirely. It's a 'hack' inasmuch as it's a bridge between nodes, but unless there's some way to squelch that I don't think that'll go away.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#9 OFFLINE   tymekeeper

tymekeeper

Legend

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

I just got a $20/month increase to $175 from Time Warner with a promise of another $25 within a year. I was a Dish subscriber in upstate New York 8 years ago and when I moved down here, decided to go with Time Warner for cable because installation was simpler and later added phone and internet because we were having problems with Windstream DSL.
We have seven TV's in the house - 5 HD, 2 SD. I went to the local Dish retailer and got an estimate for what thee cost for TV only service would be around $130 plus tax a month after the first year promotional period, for a system with 2 Hoppers and 5 Joeys (I'd have to purchase the fifth Joey). Next, I'll have to determine the cost for phone and internet service. I prefer not to bundle it with TV.
At worst, the price will be about the same as I'm currently paying. At best, I'll be getting America's 250, a free Roku HD box, 6 months free Hulu+, Sirius/XM music channels and all the goodies that come with the 250 package.
Looks tempting. I have to finish my investigation, then present the plan to my family.

I would suggest a "magicJack" for your land line phone. Use TW for internet only service.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Only reason I brought it up was because I don't think they can take that away without taking away Hopper to Hopper comms entirely. It's a 'hack' inasmuch as it's a bridge between nodes, but unless there's some way to squelch that I don't think that'll go away.

You're probably right in terms of connectivity... but if it proves to be unreliable or they just don't want to support it, they could probably make it so (in firmware) Hoppers will only recognize the closest Hopper detected and not another. They could just "ignore" that other connection even if they can't truly disable it.

#11 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm in the midst of a two hopper/4 Joey install. What I've seen so far will blow my family away.I'm very impressed with the global nature of the installation. Set up a recording on any one of the devices and it's available on all of them. Really cool. And, yes, I can confirm that locals are available on Hoppers.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

spam firewall