Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Move box to RV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilmo

wilmo

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

I am new to the Direct TV deal as well and have an RV set in one location. I cannot get a straight answer from the Direct TV folks so I am glad to find this site.
I have 5 boxes, one HD, and 4 reg. and have a Slimeline Satellite Dish SL3S4NR2-02 at home in So Cal. My property is in So. Oregon. What I want to know is if I take one of my non-HD boxes and buy the same exact Dish I have at home, will I able to get reception in Oregon, or anywhere else for that matter?
Besides the Dish is there anything else I need,etc. What kind of channels will I get? The same as my pakage at home?
My relative has a Dish set up there already but I know it is the not the same model. Will that one work or do the rec. and dish need to be the same match? Thanks.

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

You can just take an SD dish to your other property. However, you will not get your So. Cal. Locals.

Kevin

Edit: fixing a few typos, my apologies.

Edited by Kevin F, 13 August 2012 - 08:11 PM.

Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

This was posted in the Dish Network section, you may get better answers if Mods could move to the correct forum.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

So moved ...

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,863 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

Local channels are broadcast on spot beams that only cover a small geographic footprint around the local station (perhaps 100 miles or so). Once you go outside that signal, you won't get the local stations. All of the other stations are on CONUS (nationwide continental US) transponders and can be picked up anyplace.

Terms of service only allow you to have service at one location at a time. If nobody is using the equipment in So. Cal while you are using it in Oregon, you are at least complying with the spirit of those terms. You could also call DirecTV and officially change your service address, in which case you would then get the appropriate Oregon local stations for that location while you were there. Then change your service address back to CA when you go back there.

#6 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

As stated, to be legal you need to only have one location active at a time. We, for example, take our bedroom receiver on our RV trips and then reinstall it at home when we get back. Since we are either in our RV or home that is still within the limits of your contract. If you go away in the RV and someone in your family stays home that triggers the need for two accounts. In all seriousness, however, if you only do this on limited trips who the heck is going to know.

As for equipment, you only need the 18" dish for SD reception. It is a waste of money to get the larger slimline dish for that receiver. (I did because I was very new to DirecTV and only had a couple of weeks before we left on one of our trips. Knowing what I know now, I would not repeat that decision.)

The advantage with the smaller dish is that you can get one of those cheap meters to aim the dish with and you only aim at sat 101. Very easy to setup and move on to other fun activities. You will have to change your settings in your receiver setup when you make the transition, but that is not difficult. And you only change it once when you take it to your RV and return, not every time you setup your dish.

As for the local channels, you still get CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX feeds (391, 393, 397 and 399). You will not get the others.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

As for the local channels, you still get CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX feeds (391, 393, 397 and 399). You will not get the others.

If the RV travels outside the spot beam range for your DMA you will no longer get any locals! I'm not sure about D* but E* has an RV account that allows access to the national network feed across the continental U.S.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

These are the NATIONAL network feeds that you can get with an account that is specifically set up with the RV waiver. If you're not getting them with your normal account at home, you won't get them merely by taking your a home receiver on the road.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#9 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

These are the NATIONAL network feeds that you can get with an account that is specifically set up with the RV waiver. If you're not getting them with your normal account at home, you won't get them merely by taking your a home receiver on the road.

OP lives in Monrovia, CA. He will get these channels. I live in So. Cal. too and I get these channels at home and on the road.

spam firewall