Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

from a new subscriber..................

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flybynyte

flybynyte

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

i guess (hate to use "assume" for the obvious reasons :goofygrin) it may come down to personal preference, but, just wondered about the $6/mo protection plan. do you believe it is really worth it? it seems much of the stuff is covered just by becoming a subscriber to directv, isn't it?

would like to read comments. thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

You are going to get two very different opinions on this. Some feel $6/mo is worth it for peace of mind while others find it a completed waste of $72/yr.

For me it's worth it. It's a tiny amount I dont ever think about and I have peace of mind.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#3 OFFLINE   flybynyte

flybynyte

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

i think if my set-up involved as much equipment as yours, it might make sense. i really expected a comment such as yours---as it makes perfect sense. i have heard numerous "electronic" wizards comment on protection plans. just thot i would see what i could stir up. thanks for taking time to reply.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

For a lot of people, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense. If you have a receiver go bad, you still get a new one, but you will have a $20 shipping fee (though it's not unheard of for that to be waived.) If you live in an area with lots of very strong winds and have to have your dish aligned a lot, it also might make sense. But most don't have issues like that.

I think where it makes the most sense is for those that have owned boxes. After making the investment to get boxes that aren't leased, you'd want to get owned replacements if there was an issue.

#5 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

Been a DirecTV subscriber for a LONG time, since before they even had anything like a protection plan. I have never had the PP and have never had a problem getting DirecTV to send someone to the house to fix things or to get defective equipment replaced free of charge (remember, with rare exception, it is all leased so you don't even really own it). It has happened very rarely but I have never had to pay for a service call. This is really one of those personal preference issues. Some people just "feel better" being covered by a PP. From a purely economic perspective these types of things are rarely worth the money. But, that is JMHO and YMMV.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#6 OFFLINE   sonofcool

sonofcool

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

I have it and plan to keep it. For me, even if it saves 30 minutes of conversation every other year its worth it. I know others feel its expensive and that is fine. I'm happy we have the choice :-)

#7 OFFLINE   fratwell

fratwell

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

I have had the PP for over 5 years and just had a great service request to correct a 771 Searching error. I had the old side car and the Northeast area had recent 3 day downpours. Tech discovered water in the LNB and replaced the entire Dish with the 3LB slimline and cabled everything new.

Signals for 99c and 103c in the mid-90's now with the new 3LNB slimline and cabling. Cost with the PP? Nothing.

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,308 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

I've never had it. Had two times since 1998 when techs had to make service calls (diagnosis/replace multi-switch and dish realignment). Both times DirecTV, said "you're such a loyal customer, we'll waive the service call." I've also replaced a number of boxes, usually $19.95 plus tax for shipping, but they have even waived that a few times.

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Like all insurance it boils down to if you want to pay in advance for something and never have to worry about it or are you always in a financial sound place where you could afford to replace receivers if they were damaged by lightening (this is the most expensive situation) and not covered under home owners insurance, protection plan covers lightening damage but not other types of damage, is the main question.

If you have owned equipment it's a different story.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

It's a form of gambling really, as is all insurance. If you don't have it you're betting that you will never incur an expense greater that the cost of the protection plan.

DirecTV is betting that you will pay them more for the plan then it will cost them to cover you for any failures under your coverage.

Bear in mind, that if DirecTV wasn't coming out ahead they wouldn't be doing it.

But also bear in mind that it costs them less to make good on the plan than it will cost you to cover those costs out of your pocket without the protection plan.

I used to work for a manufacturer and our extended warranties were some of the biggest profit centers in the company, but at the ridiculous prices we charged for parts and service out of warranty the customers were better off being covered. The replacement parts were dirt cheap for us sine we either manufactured them ourselves or purchased them in bulk and the labor was being supplied by people we were already employing and paying whether they were repairing a unit or not.

The whole thing is a little twisted. Imagine this exchange...

Prospective Insurance Buyer: "What is Life Insurance?"
Insurance Agent: "That's where we bet that you will pay us more in premiums over the course of your lifetime than the policy will pay out upon your death."
Prospective Insurance Buyer: "What if I die young?"
Insurance Agent:"YOU WIN!"
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#11 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

It's a form of gambling really, as is all insurance. If you don't have it you're betting that you will never incur an expense greater that the cost of the protection plan.

DirecTV is betting that you will pay them more for the plan then it will cost them to cover you for any failures under your coverage.

Bear in mind, that if DirecTV wasn't coming out ahead they wouldn't be doing it.

But also bear in mind that it costs them less to make good on the plan than it will cost you to cover those costs out of your pocket without the protection plan.

I used to work for a manufacturer and our extended warranties were some of the biggest profit centers in the company, but at the ridiculous prices we charged for parts and service out of warranty the customers were better off being covered. The replacement parts were dirt cheap for us sine we either manufactured them ourselves or purchased them in bulk and the labor was being supplied by people we were already employing and paying whether they were repairing a unit or not.

The whole thing is a little twisted. Imagine this exchange...

Prospective Insurance Buyer: "What is Life Insurance?"
Insurance Agent: "That's where we bet that you will pay us more in premiums over the course of your lifetime than the policy will pay out upon your death."
Prospective Insurance Buyer: "What if I die young?"
Insurance Agent:"YOU WIN!"

Actually NEW is betting it since they are the company that does the work and pays for the claims. DIRECTV gets the confidence of knowing people will have issues fixxed and paid for not out of it's own pocket and gets a compensation in some form for signing people up.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,895 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

There are many things that can go wrong in a satellite system. If you are comfortable doing some basic troubleshooting/fault isolation (with help from these forums), you can typically figure out what the problem is. Next question becomes fixing it. If your dish goes out of alignment, you'll need to be able to get to it, then make precise adjustments to optimize the signal. If a coax or connector goes bad, you'll have to replace it. Etc. If you are comfortable with those kinds of tasks, then you don't need the protection plan. Otherwise, it is probably worth it.

#13 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

For me, yes.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#14 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

This depends on a number of factors.
1. How many receivers you have. The more you have the more you may have to replace down the road.
2. How good you are at fixing things yourself, some people don't like to do a lot of troubleshooting and prefer a tech to come out.
3. Weather in your area. Heavy snow fall, heavy ice buildup, and heavy winds will all cause heavier wear and tear on the exterior portions of your installation increasing your chances of needing a service call.

Also keep in mind that most customers can add the service plus protection plan at any time which includes the current service call or equipment replacement you are calling about at no charge, this depends on your account status though.

#15 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

I had it free for the first month (i started this May) but decided not to continue. I only have one HD receiver, my install went well including reinforced wire from my home to the Dish, i have no obstructions, and i live near the Beach in LA., so really no weather to worry about. So i'm happy to keep my $6.

#16 OFFLINE   flybynyte

flybynyte

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

thanks for the different point of views. appreciate it. i will make final decision at time of installation.

#17 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

I have had DirecTV since 1999 and have never had the protection plan. During that time, I have had defective boxes replaced three times and had one service call (not counting the call to switch from SD to HD). DirecTV waived the fees each time. For the service call, which was to replace my LNB-5 with a LNB-3 and realign the dish, the DirecTV technician would not go on the roof to do the work. He did leave the LNB-3 with me (for which I was not charged), but I had to hire an independant contractor to do the work. That cost me about $98, but that is all that I have paid for service-related things in 13 years. Even if I had paid the $6 per month, DirecTV technicians will not go on my roof (and there is no other way to get LOS on my property), so I will always end up paying an independant contractor for dish alignments or LNB replacements.

I have one HR21, one H21, one H23, one H24, a SWiM-8 and a Slimline-3. I do all of the interior wiring myself, though, so I only need service if the box, dish, or LNB are bad or if the initial connection at the LNB fails. Once the four wires from the LNB reach my attic, I take care of everything downstream and have never had a problem. If the SWiM-8 fails, I will be stuck with the cost of that replacement, too, but unless it fails more than once every two years (which is very highly unlikely), I would still come out ahead by not having the service plan.

If you are not comfortable diagnosing and fixing problems yourself, then I would say that the $6 per month is worth it, but for me, it is not.

#18 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:30 AM

I have had DirecTV since 1999 and have never had the protection plan. During that time, I have had defective boxes replaced three times and had one service call (not counting the call to switch from SD to HD). DirecTV waived the fees each time. For the service call, which was to replace my LNB-5 with a LNB-3 and realign the dish, the DirecTV technician would not go on the roof to do the work. He did leave the LNB-3 with me (for which I was not charged), but I had to hire an independant contractor to do the work. That cost me about $98, but that is all that I have paid for service-related things in 13 years. Even if I had paid the $6 per month, DirecTV technicians will not go on my roof (and there is no other way to get LOS on my property), so I will always end up paying an independant contractor for dish alignments or LNB replacements.

I have one HR21, one H21, one H23, one H24, a SWiM-8 and a Slimline-3. I do all of the interior wiring myself, though, so I only need service if the box, dish, or LNB are bad or if the initial connection at the LNB fails. Once the four wires from the LNB reach my attic, I take care of everything downstream and have never had a problem. If the SWiM-8 fails, I will be stuck with the cost of that replacement, too, but unless it fails more than once every two years (which is very highly unlikely), I would still come out ahead by not having the service plan.

If you are not comfortable diagnosing and fixing problems yourself, then I would say that the $6 per month is worth it, but for me, it is not.

Couple of other things

- if you own your equipment it is pretty much a requirement to make sure you keep it owned.

- the most important, my billiable time is worth a lot more then 6 bucks a month for me to diagnose and try and fix and issue, one call, walk through the 5 or 10 minutes of questions, then they dispatch or send the device.

- cost is next to nothing, spend more on a drink ina single night then I do on the PP

Bottom line - if someone feels it is worth it, then it is, if they don't then it is not - it is a personal decision

Protected By... spam firewall...And...