Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Swapping cards among receivers?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mike62

mike62

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

I have 5 receivers and one of my old DTV original TiVo models kept requiring a restart to bring it up and now finally that does not work any longer.

I have one of the old SD "Directors Pack" receivers. I called DTV to deactivate the DVR and reactivate the SD receiver with the old smart card from the TiVo DVR but was told it could cause problems and I needed to just order a new one.

I said no and deactivated it altogether but got to thinking maybe that was just the CS protocol to discourage such things. If I reactivate the smart card will it work in the SD Directors Pack receiver (the old small black boxes)?

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 696 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

There are other ways around this which would have worked without calling DTV, but I think the Directors Pack receivers will be dead anyway come the end of the year. I do not believe they have the Advanced Program Guide and will likely get replaced by DTV for the ones that are still active.

#3 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Access cards are paired to the receiver. You cannot just swap a card from one receiver to the other. You would either need the card from that receiver, or more than likely, a new card which would run $20.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

It could be reactivated, but you should find right CSR/Card Autorith Dept and be persistent and creative during that conversation.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

It could be reactivated, but you should find right CSR/Card Autorith Dept and be persistent and creative during that conversation.

Perhaps you'd like to elaborate on being creative.

Many things could be done but that doesn't mean they should or will be done.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

If you asking for that, then you're not in the category :P.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

If you asking for that, then you're not in the category :P.

Nah I'm just wondering what lies you think would accomplish what you're posting.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

Still not in the category ... you should be creative ;)

#9 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

this is wrong..you will need a new card
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

this is wrong..you will need a new card

You are wrong, while I'm talking from personal experience with CSR. And it's not necessary to vocalize again OFFICIAL statement. Technically (by reprogramming ability of the card) you're clueless.

#11 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

You are wrong, while I'm talking from personal experience with CSR. And it's not necessary to vocalize again OFFICIAL statement. Technically (by reprogramming ability of the card) you're clueless.

Oh I'm very aware of the capabilities of the card
and what can and cant be done. What you are advocating
and encouraging someone to do is something that is
against policy. You are setting false expectations in the customers mind
and encouraging them to try to do something that they will not be able to
get done. And no...I'm not wrong

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

You are right by reading official policy and wrong in understanding how the card is working and wrong what could be done with the card technically by official representative from that Activation Card Dept.

#13 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

You are right by reading official policy and wrong in understanding how the card is working and wrong what could be done with the card technically by official representative from that Activation Card Dept.

Once again you are wrong how do you know that I dont work in ACDT

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

Just because a car can go 120MPH doesn't mean that it's allowed to on the roads. Want another analogy that's closer? Just because you can have 2 receivers active at different homes doesn't mean that it's allowed. We could get into hundreds of these.

Just because something is technically capable of being done doesn't mean it's correct or will be. In this situation he will be required to get a new card. There are times when DIRECTV will intentionally allow an existing card to be moved to a new receiver. This isn't one of those and no matter how many times you say so it won't make it any more true. You're wrong in this situation so just move on.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'm stay on my position regardless how many times two of you would read me the script.

#16 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

As Ben Franklin said, "The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance."

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

That's what I would say about you two. Repeating official statement and knowing the card could be transferred I would call it more then ignorance, hypocrisy at least. Don't see how you can apply "education" to yourself.

#18 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

:kisshead:

That's what I would say about you two. Repeating official statement and knowing the card could be transferred I would call it more then ignorance, hypocrisy at least. Don't see how you can apply "education" to yourself.

:kisshead:

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,740 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

I think the thread is lost in our battle. :(

#20 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:10 AM

Wahooq and shades: He wasn't implying that they could call in and get a card moved.

Edit: I may have just taken what he was implying wrong.

Edited by dielray, 25 August 2012 - 05:41 AM.

DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

spam firewall