Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple HR34's on one account?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:18 AM

I know there are those who have a second HR34 on the account but we tell our customers that only one HR34 can be active on the account. Unfortunately DIRECTV places restrictions on our ability to accept returns on receivers once you have gone through the activation process. It's not up to us. We are happy to help any way we can.

Question: if DirecTV doesn't allow a second 34 to be activated on an account, is there a problem with someone returning that mistakenly purchased non-activated 34 to your store?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

You immediately assume a customer is willfully doing something wrong. D*'s history in communicating isn't exactly stellar. There are still vendors who "sell" HR34s and their is zero notice about the rule.

D* allowing distributors to "sell" an unsuspecting customer an HR34 for $399 only to then not allow it to be activated, force the customer to return it or get hit with a fee seems like a great way to get the type of notice you wouldn't want from a state attorney general.

DIRECTV requires dealers to put the requirements on the page. If you look at Solidsignal's listing you'll see they clearly state you can only have 1 per account. If there is a retailer who is non-authorized, or who doesn't list the requirements then you would definitely have legit complaint about the dealer. If you see dealers who don't have a warning and feel that passionate about it you could email them and DIRECTV to let them know they don't have the requirements listed.

If the same thing happened with the HMC that happened with big box stores, where it wasn't made clear, then DIRECTV would take action and not allow them to be sold through those chains. However I think the instances of this happening are going to be small enough it's not a concern. This whole thread deals with a bunch of what if's so until someone actually has it happen to them the situation is educational as is.

There are procedures in place that would stop it from being activated if followed properly so I would say the chance of this actually happening to an "unsuspecting" customer is greater than winning a Powerball. It can happen so it's not impossible but for most people they'd call DIRECTV first and get told they can't have 2. Then they could possibly check online and see the warning stating that they can't have 2. Then if they were really passionate about it they could find DBSTalk and ask here and find out as well.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

Question: if DirecTV doesn't allow a second 34 to be activated on an account, is there a problem with someone returning that mistakenly purchased non-activated 34 to your store?

This is taken from their website under returns & warranties located at:

http://www.solidsign...urns-warranties

DIRECTV Satellite Receivers

DIRECTV satellite receivers come with either a 90-Day or 1-Year parts and labor manufacturers warranty. Solid Signal will accept inactivated* satellite receivers for up to 30 days from the date of purchase. Customers with receivers that have been activated with DIRECTV must contact the manufacturer for service and repair. This includes DIRECTV high definition DVR receivers. Please check your owners manual for manufacturer contact information.

* Activated satellite receivers have been logged with DIRECTV as a useable device for receiving and watching DIRECTV signal broadcasts.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#24 OFFLINE   Joe Spears

Joe Spears

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

Iceman5000 has 3 HR34's on there account.... :eek:

In December I purchased 3 HR34's from USDigitalHD.com for 394.99 ea. Installed them myself. Today after reading about the credits people were receiving I called D*TV retentions. I didn't threaten to leave or anything. The CSR was very polite and in less then 5 minutes gave my account an instant credit for $300.00 X 2 = $600.00. I am very happy, I did not think I would be able to get it done. I do agree that D*TV has a serious inconsistency problem in the Customer Service Dept with the wide differences customers are experiencing. I have been a customer since 2000.

#25 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

Shades228, can you please explain why they don't allow for two or more HR34's?

Thanks

#26 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

You immediately assume a customer is willfully doing something wrong. D*'s history in communicating isn't exactly stellar. There are still vendors who "sell" HR34s and their is zero notice about the rule.

D* allowing distributors to "sell" an unsuspecting customer an HR34 for $399 only to then not allow it to be activated, force the customer to return it or get hit with a fee seems like a great way to get the type of notice you wouldn't want from a state attorney general.

Basically the point I was trying to make but if they say "we can't activate it, return it to dealer for a refund" that is fine but once they activate it the customer is stuck. It is THEIR responsibility to NOT activate it because it is against the rule. Once they do, they should not be allowed to DEactivate it and screw the customer.

For the record, receivers sold by Solid Signal are leased and we do our best to communicate that ahead of time. To protect your privacy, our online ordering system does not ask for your DIRECTV account number, so we can't tell whether or not you already have an HR34 on your account.

I know there are those who have a second HR34 on the account but we tell our customers that only one HR34 can be active on the account. Unfortunately DIRECTV places restrictions on our ability to accept returns on receivers once you have gone through the activation process. It's not up to us.

We are happy to help any way we can.

Exactly, and since DIRECTV MUST be the one to activate it (thereby "accepting" it) I cannot see how they could suddenly DEactivate it and screw the customer for $400 by removing it.

It's a training issue, (and their training is the epitome of "trickle down," I experienced it on the training side for almost 3 years). If the CSR errors and activates it, it should remain activated. It should be THEIR responsibility to NOT activate it and tell the customer to return it for a refund to the dealer.

#27 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

Shades228, can you please explain why they don't allow for two or more HR34's?

Thanks

I could give you a ton of speculation but I'm sure it basically comes down to cost to support and the fact that if you allow 2 then you have to ensure that all of the functions also support having 2 on the account. Given that you can still use HR series with the HMC there's still tons of flexibility, more so actually, than having 2 of these.

Now that is just my guess but I'm probably close to the reasons. Ultimately though it's because it's their rules and this is what they've chosen for this model. For people who want multiple there will never be a good reason and they'll never be happy with it, unless it changes at some point, but there's really nothing to be done about it either at this point.

#28 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

I think it may also have something to do with the RVU server/client side of things. As far as I know nobody has figured out how to register a client with more than one server yet. So that means if you have two HR34s on your account and some RVU clients (Samsung Smart TVs) they RVU client can only see one RVU server at a time. In order to switch between servers I believe you have to delete the client from one server and then add it to the other server. You have to keep doing that if you want to go back and forth. Not exactly a simple setup that DirecTV would want to have to support.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

spam firewall