Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV for Android App v2.2.3 Issues & Discussion

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:59 PM

(Modified Post)   It also shows your "Playlist" and other items on the receiver.

What receivers do you have connected to your network and how are you setup? I have an HR-24 and HR-34 connected via DECA. The app says my phone, which is connected via wi-fi to my network, says I am not on the network. I would really like to use my phone to watch stuff on my the playlists. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

What receivers do you have connected to your network and how are you setup? I have an HR-24 and HR-34 connected via DECA. The app says my phone, which is connected via wi-fi to my network, says I am not on the network. I would really like to use my phone to watch stuff on my the playlists. Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Do you have a GenieGo?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#43 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Can someone help me with an issue? I have the latest app (Nov 21 release). Every time I start the app, my receiver is greyed out, and I have to verify the IP manually. This works, and I can control the receiver afterwards, but I have to do this repeatedly every time I start the app. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

#44 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

Forgot to mention, I have an HR34-700 Genie.

#45 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

Can someone help me with an issue? I have the latest app (Nov 21 release). Every time I start the app, my receiver is greyed out, and I have to verify the IP manually. This works, and I can control the receiver afterwards, but I have to do this repeatedly every time I start the app. Any suggestions?

It takes about 30 seconds for the app to find the receiver.  perhaps you are not waiting long enough.....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#46 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

Unfortunately, that didn't help. I've been in the app the last 2 minutes checking the receiver periodically, waiting for it un-grey. No luck. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

It takes about 30 seconds for the app to find the receiver. perhaps you are not waiting long enough.....

#47 OFFLINE   marty45714

marty45714

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:35 PM

Can anyone confirm if the application team monitors this forum? I looked on the DirecTV technical forums and several people are reporting this same issue.

#48 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:52 AM

Unfortunately, that didn't help. I've been in the app the last 2 minutes checking the receiver periodically, waiting for it un-grey. No luck. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Your complaint seems to be the number one complaint in the reviews about this recent update. Seems everyone using this update has the same issue. Then there is a tie between the pathetic remote and streaming is broken. Directv needs to issue a update to fix these issues.

Edited by BubblePuppy, 23 November 2013 - 03:55 AM.

Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#49 OFFLINE   thebigeazy

thebigeazy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSouth Louisiana

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

After I posted, I also had the same log-in problem.  The receiver is grayed-out and I need to reenter the IP address.  I have an HR24-100 receiver.  The app works great once I can link it to the receiver.  As I mentioned in my post, setup instructions would be helpful.

#50 OFFLINE   thebigeazy

thebigeazy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSouth Louisiana

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Afterthought, I am using a Powerline adapter throughout my house.  All of my DTV receivers and computers are linked via Powerline.  The wi-fi in some of the rooms in my house is poor at best!

#51 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Do you have a GenieGo?

I logged out of the app and signed back in and then had to manually enter in my IP address. That worked at least for the HR34. 

Are all shows in the playlist supposed to be viewable on a phone/tablet? I tried two different ones and it says the "show is currently not available On Demand on your Phone." 

I thought the point of having the playlist available on the app was so you could watch recorded content on any device. Is DirecTV requiring the purchase of a GenieGo just to view content in an individual's playlist on a mobile device while on his or her home network? If so, that seems to defeat the purpose of allowing the playlist to be viewed in the app. 

Edited by VelvetUn, 23 November 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#52 OFFLINE   dlleno

dlleno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

I have very little use for the app;  I use it rarely to schedule a recording from OOH when I've forgotten to do so before leaving home, but thats about it.   There' just too many hands in my pocket as regards streaming remote. i.e. the content that is so licensed is such a small subset of what is available in-home, and understanding what is and is not licensed is so confusing to me  that  I just gave up on it for that purpose. I do use GenieGo, however, for remote streaming, and thats much closer to meeting my needs becuase it gives me access to content I've already chosen to record.  the content they promote for live streaming is just never of interest.  BTW  If you want remote control of a receiver via your mobile device,  there are attractive options out there free in the playstore (I use one called "remote lite"). 

so... yea the remote streaming that is promoted for the directv app itself is about downloading content from the directv website to your device, and is restricted to only that content that they have chosen, licensed or is legal for them to do so.  GenieGo is an altogether different solution requiring a separate piece of hardware on your home network that transcodes recorded DVR content into low resolution format, and  either uploads it to your mobile device while OOH via the pubilc internet, or downloads a copy onto your device via your home network.

ALso,  I saw a comment earlier about an IP interface to the power distribution in the home.  at best, this may or may not work, i.e YMMV and I dont think it is supported by Directv.  at worst, it will be unreliable and in any case it wikl place all of your network activity onto the power distribution wires in your home, which of course do not stop at the boundaries of your property :-)

Edited by dlleno, 23 November 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#53 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

I logged out of the app and signed back in and then had to manually enter in my IP address. That worked at least for the HR34. 

1. Are all shows in the playlist supposed to be viewable on a phone/tablet? I tried two different ones and it says the "show is currently not available On Demand on your Phone." 

2. I thought the point of having the playlist available on the app was so you could watch recorded content on any device. Is DirecTV requiring the purchase of a GenieGo just to view content in an individual's playlist on a mobile device while on his or her home network? If so, that seems to defeat the purpose of allowing the playlist to be viewed in the app. 

1. Because you need the GenieGo 

2. The playlist is there so you can use it as a "remote". find your show on the playlist and select "watch on TV"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#54 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:03 AM

1. Because you need the GenieGo 

2. The playlist is there so you can use it as a "remote". find your show on the playlist and select "watch on TV"

Thank you for clarifying. 

#55 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

It takes about 30 seconds for the app to find the receiver.  perhaps you are not waiting long enough.....

After I posted, I also had the same log-in problem.  The receiver is grayed-out and I need to reenter the IP address.  I have an HR24-100 receiver.  The app works great once I can link it to the receiver.  As I mentioned in my post, setup instructions would be helpful.

It sounds like something other than the app itself is causing issues...as I see none of those symptoms.

What is known is that the firmware on certain HD DVRs might impact app operation...at least until a fix is implemented.

A few considerations:

1) Try rebooting the HD DVR that is showing a delay in connectivity.

2) Try rebooting the device with the app on it.

3) IF #1 and #2 don't change the results...try a reinstall of the latest DirecTV app for your device.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#56 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Your complaint seems to be the number one complaint in the reviews about this recent update. Seems everyone using this update has the same issue. Then there is a tie between the pathetic remote and streaming is broken. Directv needs to issue a update to fix these issues.

Yet not everyone is seeing these same symptoms. This has not happened at all - yesterday it was being used for more than 6 hours without any of these things occurring. That implies something else (besides the app) might be contributing, otherwise everyone would see the same thing...and all the time.

#57 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 302 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:50 AM

I was having the same issues with the latest update to the DirecTV app.  I updated the app, and it was no longer detecting my receivers.  I put in each receiver's IP address and validated them which got it working.  Next time I used the app, it again did not see any of my receivers.  Last night I cleared all data, deleted the app, and reinstalled it.  Immediately after I logged in to the app, it saw all of my receivers without me having to validate IPs.

I use a Samsung GS III.

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#58 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yet not everyone is seeing these same symptoms. This has not happened at all - yesterday it was being used for more than 6 hours without any of these things occurring. That implies something else (besides the app) might be contributing, otherwise every.

And that may not be true for everyone having issues.  As the post above this seems to indicate just updating without clearing the cache maybe the issue, which is an issue connected with the app update. If clearing the cache is required for the proper functioning of the app then the developers failed to included that bit of information in the update information. 

Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

And that may not be true for everyone having issues.  As the post above this seems to indicate just updating without clearing the cache maybe the issue, which is an issue connected with the app update. If clearing the cache is required for the proper functioning of the app then the developers failed to included that bit of information in the update information. 

Thanks - agree.

My point was there could be secondary obstacles, and you named a good one as an example.

#60 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,545 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

When I try to use the Directv android app and go to the remote control icon, it says "no receivers found" Then I tried to manually add ip address for each receiver but it doesn't work, all it shows is the loading screen and nothing else, I checked streaming on cellular but nothing works in regards to networked receiver detection, But when I use the app again using wifi it instantly recognize it, meaning it works on wifi but not on cellular 4G LTE, Using on Note 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using DBSTalk mobile app

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

spam firewall