Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper Clock Messed Up?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   broeddog

broeddog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

Stewart I have had my son in law record the shows that I mentioned on his TiVo through Comcast service. He told me that the shows I am having issues with do record in full. He also works for Charter cable and has used their equipment without any recording issues. I was with Directv up until four months ago and never had these issues with their HR series receivers. I just want to know why it is happening with my Dish service and not other providers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Stewart I have had my son in law record the shows that I mentioned on his TiVo through Comcast service. He told me that the shows I am having issues with do record in full. He also works for Charter cable and has used their equipment without any recording issues. I was with Directv up until four months ago and never had these issues with their HR series receivers. I just want to know why it is happening with my Dish service and not other providers.

I would have to know more about how he is recording on cable vs the way you do it on Dish.

I can guarantee you, though, that he wouldn't get the end of a show like Covert Affairs if his TiVo stops at 11pm!

If you pad your timers by 5 or more minutes, then you probably wouldn't miss the end of any shows... for all I know, that is how his cable DVR is set.

As an example, even though I noted the problems with Covert Affairs running long... I also don't have problems recording it because I know it runs long so I extend my timer accordingly.

Again, there are glitches and some known issues with several Dish DVRs... those are issues to be rectified to be sure... but it still sounds to me like we are talking about problems recording shows that are just running longer than the EPG indicates. This is a channel problem, and not a Dish problem, in my opinion... but one I can workaround by extending the end time on my timers.

FYI... go check out the Comcast support forums... and you'll find this exact same topic there, with the same complaints... and people there saying "other people don't have these problems, why does Comcast"... and you'll see the same suggestions as I have been giving.

edit: Checked again tonight... Put one tuner on 105HD for "Necessary Roughness" and had the other tuner on 107HD for Futurama. Futurama ended a little after 11pm and the Daily Show started. Channel 105 was still going with "Necessary Roughness" until 11:02... so not a clock problem, but a USA running their shows long problem.

Edited by Stewart Vernon, 29 August 2012 - 09:14 PM.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#23 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:48 AM

So why is it that even On Demand shows from HBO stop playback even a few seconds before the end of the actual recording? Why is it that these problems never occurred on my DirecTV DVR? Instead of blowing this off, Stewart, all we're asking is that Dish look into this and get to the bottom of it. I'm still not convinced that it's just the networks messing around with their scheduled air times.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

So why is it that even On Demand shows from HBO stop playback even a few seconds before the end of the actual recording? Why is it that these problems never occurred on my DirecTV DVR? Instead of blowing this off, Stewart, all we're asking is that Dish look into this and get to the bottom of it. I'm still not convinced that it's just the networks messing around with their scheduled air times.

That's why I'm asking for specific shows, channels, and examples.

I've said multiple times that there are issues and such issues should be reported... BUT we need to differentiate between the problems of the Dish receiver vs the problems of scheduling by the networks.

Complaining to Dish about scheduling problems just makes them turn a deaf ear to the other times when the DVR actually fails.

I haven't rented an On Demand event in a while, and certainly not on a Hopper of course... so I can't speak to those issues.

I'm just asking for more info, to help with the problem... and if it is an actual DVR problem it needs to be reported to Dish with more info so they can actually look into it... and if the problem is what I've been talking about where some channels are running their shows longer than the EPG indicates, then that's a different animal that Dish can't really do anything about.

#25 OFFLINE   Bill L

Bill L

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

Stewart,

You mentioned that "If you pad your timers by 5 or more minutes, then you probably wouldn't miss the end of any shows... for all I know, that is how his cable DVR is set."

This is not true. If all three tuners are recording something, they will ignore priority and switch to the next program.

This is a real annoying issue with Dish. I like Dish much better than DTV or cable but this is a deal breaker is it continues. Missing the end of shows is a real issue.

I searched the DTV forum and see no complaining about this issue. I will check with a neighbor and see if they have it with Verizon FIOS.

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Stewart,

You mentioned that "If you pad your timers by 5 or more minutes, then you probably wouldn't miss the end of any shows... for all I know, that is how his cable DVR is set."

This is not true. If all three tuners are recording something, they will ignore priority and switch to the next program.

What are you talking about here?

IF all 3 tuners are recording something NO other timers can fire. IF you even try to set a 4th overlapping timer you get the "timer conflict" screen asking you how you want to resolve it.

Timers don't interrupt other timers.

#27 OFFLINE   Bill L

Bill L

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:50 AM

This not what happens in the real world. I have "Royal Pains" set to record 2 minutes over. "Royal Pains" is set to #1 priority. When the next program comes on it cuts "Royal Pains" off and starts recording. The next program is set at priority position 38.

No conflict is indicated.

This is not the only program that this happens with. I tried setting all of my timers to 2 minutes over. There are no indications of conflicts.

#28 ONLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

By design any extension less than 5 min will be dropped to start the next recording.
If you extend 5 min the other recording will record at a later time.
Works every time. That is why I set any thing that repeats to a lower priority that than something that airs only once and extend the pad on anything I don't want cut off to 5 min.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#29 OFFLINE   Arya Stark

Arya Stark

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

I recorded the football game Wednesday night (with the automatic 60 minute extension), and it removed the entire 60 minutes to resolve a conflict. So I missed the end of the game. Nobody tell me what happened! ;)

Seriously though, that's a strange problem. That shouldn't happen!

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

The football game should have been recorded as part of PTAT, which would have stopped at the EPG indicated time, which would have cut off the end of the game.

When you set your specific timer for the game did you also go back and un-skip it? If you didn't do that... then by default the receiver assumes you are ok with the PTAT recording and will probably ignore whatever padding you defined in your other timer.

Also... I set most of my timers to start 2 min early and end 3 min late. On no Dish receiver that I've ever had has another timer interrupted an already recording timer.

Now... IF you use the default padding of the DVRs and set multiple recordings back-to-back on the same channel... then the receiver will stop those on the hour (or half hour) to start recording the next event. That is by design, but it only does that when both recordings are on the same channel back-to-back and you use the default padding.

Even as a glitch, I've never seen the receiver start a new timer and cancel a currently recording one. All conflict resolution either happens when you initially define the timer OR can occur after an overnight update if the EPG info changes that results in a conflict that wasn't there initially... but in either case, it doesn't stop a recording in progress to start another one. I've never heard of that.

#31 OFFLINE   LarryInSnohomish

LarryInSnohomish

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

I can tell you I'm very frustrated, as well, with Hopper's inability to record the shows I like in full. I'm experiencing this problem on several of the non-prime-time channels, such as TNT, USA, MeTV. I've tried, as many of you have, to add a couple minutes to the end of the programming. I figured it would create a conflict with the second show of back-to-back recordings but even when there is no show following a recorded show it still shuts off before the final minute or so of a show. Adding more time to the End doesn't fix the problem for some reason. I'm ready to discontinue Dish and go back to Comcast. I never had this problem -- ever -- with Comcast or DirecTV when I was with them.

#32 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,450 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

I've tried, as many of you have, to add a couple minutes to the end of the programming.

Hi, and welcome...

Are you literally just adding a couple of minutes to the end?

I've noted before that USA often runs 3 minutes long... so you'd have to go to 5 minutes end-padding to be sure you catch the end of similar shows.

I wasn't sure if you literally meant just a "couple" or if you were going 5+ minutes long.

#33 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

I can't speak for USA lately, but I haven't had any trouble with TNT. "Falling Skies" recorded - every episode came through with no glitches, nothing cut off.

spam firewall