Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

4 New HD Channels

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

I have near ten Series Manager for the BBC.

How can you redo 'em when the series isn't active?

I would leave them in place..... worst case, you'll find out that the series is active again when the first episodes records in SD, and you can change it then. Chances are very high the same episode will be repeated within the same week.

It's probably better to leave them and change them when you notice a recording, else you are going to forget.... a series might not air again till November or so.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   diogenes433

diogenes433

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

I was a big supporter of BBCA in HD, but lately it has become all top Gear all the time, Please just one Luther repeat.

#28 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,601 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

I was a big supporter of BBCA in HD, but lately it has become all top Gear all the time, Please just one Luther repeat.

Luther is coming back this month. And a new 'old' mystery show Ripper Street is coming real soon.

I can't find out if Being Human & Primeval are going to come back. Both shows made drastic changes to their plots and then stop.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-700, Bsm: HR24-100, Den HR24-200, MB: HR24-500, Kit: H25-500
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#29 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,357 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

Luther is coming back this month. And a new 'old' mystery show Ripper Street is coming real soon.

I can't find out if Being Human & Primeval are going to come back. Both shows made drastic changes to their plots and then stop.

There are many other British mysteries which hopefully will be added. I realize that PBS has rights to some of these but there are others which used to show up on A&E and its cousins but have not been seen here in several years. such as Silent Witness and Midsomer Murders. I'd rather see British shows on BBCA than American sci-fi programs which just happen to have a British actor in them :)

#30 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'd rather see British shows on BBCA than American sci-fi programs which just happen to have a British actor in them :)

Hear hear!

Only problem: Many of those weren't filmed in HD. Anything 2008+ is probably in HD, but most before that..... isn't. (Although, of course, if filmed in 35mm it could be remastered).
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#31 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

There are many other British mysteries which hopefully will be added. I realize that PBS has rights to some of these but there are others which used to show up on A&E and its cousins but have not been seen here in several years. such as Silent Witness and Midsomer Murders. I'd rather see British shows on BBCA than American sci-fi programs which just happen to have a British actor in them :)

Amazon Prime has a bunch of Midsomer available for free streaming (if you're a Prime member.) The video quality on some isn't all that great, especially the early seasons, but it's a nice benefit. Hulu has some UK stuff too.

BBCA has been thrashing around the last few years trying to improve their ratings. The whole Star Trek TNG and Galactica thing seems a bit silly to me, but it's probably getting them more eyeballs. Let's hope Copper does well for them and further expands their exposure so that they can turn things around.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#32 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,357 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Amazon Prime has a bunch of Midsomer available for free streaming (if you're a Prime member.) The video quality on some isn't all that great, especially the early seasons, but it's a nice benefit. Hulu has some UK stuff too.

BBCA has been thrashing around the last few years trying to improve their ratings. The whole Star Trek TNG and Galactica thing seems a bit silly to me, but it's probably getting them more eyeballs. Let's hope Copper does well for them and further expands their exposure so that they can turn things around.

A lot of UK programming has recently been added to Netflix streaming, as well.

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,493 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

Has BBCA shown series 4 of Being Human? There will be 6 episodes in series 5 in 2013 on BBC.

#34 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 986 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

For me that's a good thing. I gave up on Top Gear years ago because SD PQ sucks so bad. I'll start watching it again now.

since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
HR24-500 -- Samsung UN32EH5000FXZA

#35 OFFLINE   Microphone

Microphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:33 AM

Sorry Mods, but I have to chime in. If Directv would send me messages about new channels on the drop down screen instead of tips and tricks that are years old, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Certainly I'd love to wade through some of the more bloated, in depth threads on this topic, but it's nice to have a Headline News version of this instead of depth and analysis. Thanks for letting me have a say.

#36 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

Sorry Mods, but I have to chime in. If Directv would send me messages about new channels on the drop down screen instead of tips and tricks that are years old, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Certainly I'd love to wade through some of the more bloated, in depth threads on this topic, but it's nice to have a Headline News version of this instead of depth and analysis. Thanks for letting me have a say.

There was a message bout BBCA and today one about all but beIN.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#37 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

There were also banner messages for the new HD channels in the Guide on Wednesday. I don't know if they are still there.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#38 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

Primeval was cancelled because of cost, but there has been some rumbling that it might come back as a shortened season. I'm a real fan of the show so I too am hoping that it will return.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,493 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Interesting that FIOS just added BBC America. I don't think it's a coincidence that two major holdouts got it a week before Copper debuts.

#40 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,686 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

Primeval was cancelled because of cost, but there has been some rumbling that it might come back as a shortened season. I'm a real fan of the show so I too am hoping that it will return.

For Primeval fans, here is a link to a new Canadian show that is a sequel to the original British version. Note the actors to play. What is not known is where or when it will show up in the US.

http://www.airlockal...-lexa-doig.html

And for scifi fans, Continuum is also a Canadian show that is getting some good reviews in some discussion boards. It isn't known whether it will come to the US and if it does, which channel will pick it up.

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#41 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Interesting that FIOS just added BBC America. I don't think it's a coincidence that two major holdouts got it a week before Copper debuts.

Nor do I. Probably both sides budged a bit because this is a win-win for all. Copper could be the next Mad Men. Or it could fail.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#42 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

I do know BBC America is promoting the hell out of Copper. It's on advertisements on many other channels, noticed it on History Channel a few days back, and social media is being used en-masse to promote the show. Also, the DirecTV page dedicated to BBC America in HD with a big huge plug to Copper is proof they are using every angle possible to promote the show to the max.

DirecTV and FIOS getting HD is I think part of BBC America's marketing. They wanted Copper to be in HD for everyone.

We'll see if it is going to be good, I will record it.

I am the Stig.

#43 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

It is too bad Ground Force is no longer on. I would have liked to have seen Charlie Dimmock in HD :D

#44 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

Search is still not seaching BBCA-HD programs. Haven't checked the other channels. Season Passes seem to work okay...

#45 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

Search is still not seaching BBCA-HD programs. Haven't checked the other channels. Season Passes seem to work okay...

I noticed that too. Maybe it will update tonight after I update my receiver.

#46 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,601 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:21 PM

Search is still not searching BBCA-HD programs. Haven't checked the other channels. Season Passes seem to work okay...

Yep, found that out today too!

Had to go thru Guide day-by-day order to reestablish Series Manager, then go back cancel episodes because they're reruns.

Why must Series Manager settings be deleted and done completely over? Why can't DirecTV add a channel or channel range to the Series Options?

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#47 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,743 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:14 PM

So, when will Law&Order:UK be back?

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#48 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Yep, found that out today too!

Had to go thru Guide day-by-day order to reestablish Series Manager, then go back cancel episodes because they're reruns.

Why must Series Manager settings be deleted and done completely over? Why can't DirecTV add a channel or channel range to the Series Options?

That would be a Boolean search with auto record. Already exists.

#49 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,601 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

That would be a Boolean search with auto record. Already exists.

Sorry but once you put in a channel, it can not be change.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#50 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,952 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

Sorry but once you put in a channel, it can not be change.

You can put a range into a boolean. CCHAN 200 250 includes channels from 200 through 250. That is what you asked for.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...