Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple's New Front in Battle for TV

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

"Apple is in talks with some of the biggest U.S. cable operators about letting consumers use an Apple device as a set-top box for live television and other content.

The talks represent Apple’s most ambitious crack at infiltrating the living room after years of trying.

Apple doesn’t appear to have reached a deal with any cable operators. One obstacle may be the reluctance of operators to let Apple establish a foothold in the television business."

http://online.wsj.co...d=djemalertNEWS

What are the odd's they would hook up with D*?

Sorry I can't get the whole article.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

"Apple is in talks with some of the biggest U.S. cable operators about letting consumers use an Apple device as a set-top box for live television and other content.

The talks represent Apple’s most ambitious crack at infiltrating the living room after years of trying.

Apple doesn’t appear to have reached a deal with any cable operators. One obstacle may be the reluctance of operators to let Apple establish a foothold in the television business."

http://online.wsj.co...d=djemalertNEWS

What are the odd's they would hook up with D*?

Sorry I can't get the whole article.

I won't say 0 but I'd say that DIRECTV has learned that keeping things in house is cheaper and easier to support than dealing with 3rd party companies such as TiVo. Plus the fact that Apple is the single most controling company I've ever seen there's really no good reason for companies to do this. They don't bring anything new to the industry at this point.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

I would give anything to have an Apple interface on my Directv it would be way better than Tivo or the hd ui we have now with Directv. I would think Apple would pick Directv as one of their top choices since Directv is a national provider and is available anywhere in the US unlike cable which is regional based.

#4 OFFLINE   bjamin82

bjamin82

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

I would give anything to have an Apple interface on my Directv it would be way better than Tivo or the hd ui we have now with Directv. I would think Apple would pick Directv as one of their top choices since Directv is a national provider and is available anywhere in the US unlike cable which is regional based.

That was my thinking as well. As a platform, Apple is just better. I do agree they are a pain to deal with, only because they demand the best.

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,435 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

Blech. They'd make all the channels icons. They ate good for video libraries and file/stream based things but nothing shows them to be good for linear programming.

iTunes is a mess. I love my iPhone and iPad but I don't want anything like iTunes.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

It's good that you'd be willing to give anything, because Apple always gets their cut, and it's never a small cut. I bet you'd be paying that Apple premium on your bill every month.

I would bet against DirecTV outsourcing their DVR software again anytime soon. They've gotten quite a bit of mileage out of the current version.

I could see a more desperate provider doing it, though.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

They could make a cable card box and by law they're allowed to and cable systems would be required to support it. Apple knows this so it's clear they don't want to be a TiVo type model where it's optional they want to have the primary box in the living room.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

I don't see the value-add.

Based on what I've read, Apple wants to sell a Tivo-type box, capable of connecting to any PayTV distributor. But that's what Tivo does, and does so well.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

spam firewall