Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Torn

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   squidly

squidly

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

I have a Hopper/ 2 Joey system scheduled for an install next week, switching from DTV.
I've read about all the bugs, but I want to know how bad it really is. Do the receivers freeze or botch recordings daily? My DTV receiver is slow, but it never has a glitch. If my wife has to reset receivers a few times a week, she's gonna freak out. At this point, I'm not even sure if I can back out of my Dish agreement, being it hasn't been installed yet...I may have to eat the early cancellation fee if it's as bad as it seems. Right now I need 2 more receivers, so if I stuck with DTV, I'd have to sign another 2 yr agreement which I don't want to do.
Should get a regular Dish DVR and 2 simple receivers because they're more reliable. Or would a USB fan on the hopper be the thing to try?
Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

Considering this side of the board you're going to get more positive reviews than negative. With that said a service agreement doesn't start until service is activated and installed. Companies can do non refundable fees on order, DISH does not to my knowledge, but they can't sign you into a service agreement until service has been established. Even then they have to give you 24 hours to leave the service.

The biggest thing is to make sure you know exactly how the tuners work compared to your DIRECTV system.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   strikes2k

strikes2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

I've had a single hopper/ 3 joey system since April or so. Are there some bugs? Yes. I find them to be irritants but rarely if ever have they cost me anything as far as programming. I think I may have lost one program along the way but the positives outweigh the negatives by such a large margin that I'm a very happy camper even with the occasional glitch. And it is occasional, at least in my case. I've never had DTV so can't compare to that.

#4 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

I have had a Hopper/ 2 Joey setup for about a month. I have had a couple issues, but I am pleased.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

I don't know what I'm doing wrong ... I've had the Hopper setup since the first weekend back in March and I have not had the "it is a complete pile of human waste" experience that some portray as common.

I can't tell you if your setup will be a perfect dream or a nightmare ... but if you want out of the deal before you even try it cancelling the install should not cost you anything (unless you purchased through a reseller with their own cancellation rules).

People tend to complain more than praise ... I hope that if you do follow through with the install yours is a good experience.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

I honestly haven't had any bad experiences with the Hopper.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   squidly

squidly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll keep my installation date and not worry
about it.

#8 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:01 AM

Shades post is pretty spot on about cancelling minus 1 bit. With dish there is no 24 hour buffer. Once the tech leaves the contract is on and its a done deal. I have had to deal with cancellation calls 10 minutes after the tech leaves and trust me when I say this is something that Dish doesn't budge on.

#9 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

Two major publications, Sound & Vision Magazine and Home Theater Magazine have extensive reviews of Dish's Hopper/Joey DVR system in their just released September issues. Both magazines reviewers rate the system as almost a no-brainer to own. They loved it and gave it their highest recommendations. These two reviewers are not roll over patsies. They have a reputation of being very critical and doggedly root out any problems or weak points. Dish must have done a very good job and should reap the benefits based on these two reviews. I love my 722 but I see a Hopper in my future. 2 TB hard drive. Woof!

#10 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

I have a Hopper/ 2 Joey system scheduled for an install next week, switching from DTV.
I've read about all the bugs, but I want to know how bad it really is.

What bugs?
I've had to unplug and restart mine once since March. That's it.
Hopper +3.
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#11 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Had mine for 4 months...had to be reset 3 times since....compaired to a 922, I would say it way ahead !

#12 OFFLINE   squidly

squidly

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

I have read those reviews, and it sounds like a slick setup.
Canceling 10 minutes after installation is a tad insane.
I promise to wait a full 30 minutes ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...