Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Need a NYC attorney specializing in DBS/Communications/Directv.

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

I'd rather see IT guys who lie about what can be done, when it can be done and how much it can be done for, out of work. Just saying:rolleyes:

Keep your frustration out of the thread - :backtotop.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

Satellite dishes (nor anything else) should not be installed in areas that prevent safe egress from a building. Other than that, OTARD should apply.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#23 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

You are overreacting. All that has happened is the landlord verbally warned you... which in most states means nothing. If the landlord does in fact hire a lawyer (unlikely) and the lawyer agrees to pursue the matter (unlikely) then you simply need to send a letter with the OTARD information to that attorney and request a response.

Is the landlord going to spend a few thousand dollars in attorney fees to have you remove your satellite dish? It's possible, but not very reasonable.

Once the attorney reads the OTARD information he/she will at least consider it a grey area and should advise the client of that fact... any good attorney feels the obligation to inform the client that the issue is not simple and may become very expensive.

So unless this landlord really dislikes you there is little reason for them to continue to press the case once they've been informed of reality.

Right now nothing has happened and nothing needs to be done.

#24 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Thank you for the advise csgo! Petition/Copy's has been mailed to both parties.

Management company-----> Your item arrived at 7:25 am on August 17, 2012 in NEW YORK, NY 10016. The Postal Service expects to deliver the item on Friday, August 17, 2012. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

FCC-----> Your item has left our acceptance facility and is in transit to a sorting facility on August 16, 2012 at 6:19 pm in NEW YORK, NY

You are overreacting. All that has happened is the landlord verbally warned you... which in most states means nothing. If the landlord does in fact hire a lawyer (unlikely) and the lawyer agrees to pursue the matter (unlikely) then you simply need to send a letter with the OTARD information to that attorney and request a response.

Is the landlord going to spend a few thousand dollars in attorney fees to have you remove your satellite dish? It's possible, but not very reasonable.

Once the attorney reads the OTARD information he/she will at least consider it a grey area and should advise the client of that fact... any good attorney feels the obligation to inform the client that the issue is not simple and may become very expensive.

So unless this landlord really dislikes you there is little reason for them to continue to press the case once they've been informed of reality.

Right now nothing has happened and nothing needs to be done.

Edited by direcdt, 18 August 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

Looks like i beat the landlord! :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• photo(2).JPG

#26 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

Looks like i beat the landlord! :lol:

Glad it worked out for you.
May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#27 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

Glad that it worked out for you. But I don't agree that you "beat" the landlord. The landlord is providing accommodations to allow you to put the dish on the roof. The landlord is not obligated to do this, so it is really a case of a landlord going beyond the requirements to keep tenants happy.

Sounds like your landlord is pretty nice and accommodating. I'm not sure why you see this as an adversarial situation.

#28 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

Glad that it worked out for you. But I don't agree that you "beat" the landlord. The landlord is providing accommodations to allow you to put the dish on the roof. The landlord is not obligated to do this, so it is really a case of a landlord going beyond the requirements to keep tenants happy.

Sounds like your landlord is pretty nice and accommodating. I'm not sure why you see this as an adversarial situation.

+1

#29 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Good news! 5 Dish brackets were installed last week! Custom made for 5 building tenants. We were grandfathered in by management....And i totally appreciate what they did for me. But i now have an issue with my dish and distance. The brackets were placed 300 feet away from my location. I did the cable run on a SWM SYSTEM with minimum issue, just that my DB is to high (51) A friend of mine that works for dish network came over to check the cable run and DB. He found the DB way to high.

Attached Thumbnails

• photo 2(2).JPG
  • photo 2(1).JPG
  • photo 3(1).JPG

#30 OFFLINE   vapor21

vapor21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

300 feet is too far away. Max directv will allow is 150, specially with SWM. See if they can put a bracket closer to you. 51db is ok but its really cutting it close, the highest they can leave it is 55 because after that it starts causing you problems. Do you know what your SNR is at?

#31 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

My DISH friend didn't tell me about "SNR.

I sent the management an email about the bracket not installed at the right location. Here is my letter below.

"Unfortunately the brackets current location has deemed it impossible for two of the five dishes to be installed properly. The recommended distance between dish and site is no more than 150 feet. I have referenced several Direct TV instructional manuals below. The current bracket location for me and one other resident is well over 300 feet.

I would kindly and respectfully request that two additional brackets be provided closer to the West Side of the building to allow for the proper installation of these dishes.

As I see it this would be the easiest and most efficient way to resolve this oversight and allow for all five dishes to work properly and safely.

As it stands if the two apartments on the West Side utilize the provided spaces not only will the service not work properly but the added expense that the installation would cost is far beyond reasonable.

Although I did attempt to have this installation completed because of the distance this installation was unsuccessful and the dish had to be reinstalled on the child safety gate. "

300 feet is too far away. Max directv will allow is 150, specially with SWM. See if they can put a bracket closer to you. 51db is ok but its really cutting it close, the highest they can leave it is 55 because after that it starts causing you problems. Do you know what your SNR is at?

#32 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

You could use RG11 or get an amp to boost the signal. Depending on how they had those installed they might be willing to just shell out the cost for the equipment rather than move the mounts.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#33 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

Yeah! Here is the email from the manager

"Mr. ************

Sorry for the late reply - Sandy took down our systems for the past week.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Do you know how much this additional charge is for installs over 300 feet? We were not aware of any additional fees that may have been a result of the satellite move.

Please give me some sort of number and we can go from there. "

After that email i replied.

"Thank you for your reply and I hope that your systems weren't damaged horribly and everyone is safe. I really appreciate your willingness to work with us.

I don't currently have an estimate of the cost but will get several for you from different installers and get back to you with them as well as some additional information on the process.

Would the installation of the brackets closer to the West Side be a possibility instead of the added distance?

It was explained to me and I will get you the details in the estimate but additional equipment is also required to keep the DB at an adequate range. I feel like they will try to overcharge you and ultimately we will still have issues with interruptions of service as well as the quality of installation. That's my professional opinion and my personal preference. In the meantime I will get those estimates and get back to you.

Thank you in advance and again I really appreciate your willingness to work with us.

Best Regards,

You could use RG11 or get an amp to boost the signal. Depending on how they had those installed they might be willing to just shell out the cost for the equipment rather than move the mounts.

#34 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 637 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Good news! 5 Dish brackets were installed last week! Custom made for 5 building tenants. We were grandfathered in by management....And i totally appreciate what they did for me. But i now have an issue with my dish and distance. The brackets were placed 300 feet away from my location. I did the cable run on a SWM SYSTEM with minimum issue, just that my DB is to high (51) A friend of mine that works for dish network came over to check the cable run and DB. He found the DB way to high.

I'm just SomeRandomIdiot, but there is clearly another D* Slimline in the middle photo on the top of the wall in the back - not where the other dishes are installed.

#35 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Yeah! That dish was installed without permission sometime around March/2012. Management not happy about that. That tenant has their own bracket if they choose to use it. If not the super will take it down.

I'm just SomeRandomIdiot, but there is clearly another D* Slimline in the middle photo on the top of the wall in the back - not where the other dishes are installed.

#36 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

Grandfathering in only five tenants may not have been the best way to go, since there will likely be other tenants wanting dishes in the future.
They ought to look at installing a master system, with just a few dishes, and let people tie in to them. It would cost some money to install, but it beats having many dishes on the roof, and the wear-and-tear of people installing and de-installing them. Plus, the master dishes could have de-icers on them, or be in a location where they are easily cleaned of snow and ice.

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

I was gonna suggest an amplifier. I have one and it has stopped my problems. Here's a link.

I didn't buy it because of distance from the dish to my receivers, but because my MRV system is cascaded instead of paralleled, but if this amp will work with Dish equipment it might clear up your problems. Not a bad price, and, as I said, it works quite well. (Wasn't my idea, was VOS that recommended I try it and, as usual, he was right.)

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Rich. funny! I just received my SWMA2T amplifier a few hours ago.

I was gonna suggest an amplifier. I have one and it has stopped my problems. Here's a link.

I didn't buy it because of distance from the dish to my receivers, but because my MRV system is cascaded instead of paralleled, but if this amp will work with Dish equipment it might clear up your problems. Not a bad price, and, as I said, it works quite well. (Wasn't my idea, was VOS that recommended I try it and, as usual, he was right.)

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,067 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Thanks Rich. funny! I just received my SWMA2T amplifier a few hours ago.

About the same specs as the one I linked to? Don't forget to tell us how you make out.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   direcdt

direcdt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

Correct.
I did speak with a private company that directv recommend me. Their number is 775 354 7853, NAME: (sales) Armando. Armando then recommend me an installer that lights up buildings from NYC. I was told, "lighting up buildings will cost a couple of thousands!" Engineer then called me wanting too come out and site see my building. I told him i needed to speak with management first. That was that! I don't think management will lay out a couple thousands.. I which they did!

Grandfathering in only five tenants may not have been the best way to go, since there will likely be other tenants wanting dishes in the future.
They ought to look at installing a master system, with just a few dishes, and let people tie in to them. It would cost some money to install, but it beats having many dishes on the roof, and the wear-and-tear of people installing and de-installing them. Plus, the master dishes could have de-icers on them, or be in a location where they are easily cleaned of snow and ice.

spam firewall