Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

For those who own HR34's, Would you still get one if you had to do it over?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: For those who own HR34's, Would you still get one if you had to do it over? (150 member(s) have cast votes)

For those who own HR34's, Would you still get one if you had to do it over?

1. Yes (135 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

2. No (6 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

3. Maybe (explain) (9 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 OFFLINE   lep354

lep354

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:10 PM

$99 for the HR34 and $49 install in Los Angeles; but got the deal when calling Tech Support regarding another issue. When tech asked if there was anything else they could help with, I said, "give me your best deal on HR34 upgrade". Was amazed because 2 days earlier I was quoted $399 plus install when I ordered free cinema direct kit. Gotta say as well, best install tech ever in my 9+ years with DirecTv. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

Without a doubt. With five tuners, there's never a worry that recording two or three races plus a football game on a Sunday is going to be a problem.
I do have four HR2x dvrs in the house, but going from one to another to schedule more than two sports events (with padding) to avoid conflicts is a major pita.
I do wish, however, that the HR34 would have come with a 4Tb drive.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#63 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

Without a doubt. With five tuners, there's never a worry that recording two or three races plus a football game on a Sunday is going to be a problem.
I do have four HR2x dvrs in the house, but going from one to another to schedule more than two sports events (with padding) to avoid conflicts is a major pita.
I do wish, however, that the HR34 would have come with a 4Tb drive.

It would be nice if it supported that even as an external. But, at that point, I'd want the drive transferable to a different box.

#64 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Was all gung ho for it but couldn't get a satisfactory deal.

So at some point, will look at Tivo when they get their extender out or the Ceton DVR and extender.

Or see what Apple does.

I like the D* HD lineup but I can save some money on a promo deal and get faster data connection through Comcast.

Probably wouldn't have thought to switch if D* didn't screw around with the HR34 upgrades for longtime customers.

Guess the only way to get a deal without a hassle is to leave and then sign up again later with a new customer deal.

#65 OFFLINE   rainydave

rainydave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

How, may I ask, did you get a deal like that? What's the usual price for an upgrade?

It came about during a call with what I believe was a retentions representative. I had used the email us link on the website to inquire whether I was currently under contract and if I was, when did it end. The email reply said they don't send that type of information out via email. It included an 800# and a reference number.
When I called we chatted about why I was asking about my contract. After we were done with that I asked what it would cost to add an HR34 to my account. The rep worked for a while and came up with the $80 final price after discounts.
david

HR21-700 & HR34-700

#66 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the detailed info. Best I could get was $150 installed but I can live with that.

#67 OFFLINE   _Dan_

_Dan_

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:03 AM

I recently had my equipment upgraded to an HR34/HR24 . I have to say I am very happy with the new system. I would do it again.

Edited by _Dan_, 22 August 2012 - 10:30 AM.
Spelling

#68 OFFLINE   Paul G

Paul G

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

Can 2 or more HR34's co-exist and be whole-home networked together? For those times that 5 shows at once just won't do. (Football season is around the corner.)

#69 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,735 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

Can 2 or more HR34's co-exist and be whole-home networked together? For those times that 5 shows at once just won't do. (Football season is around the corner.)

There's practically a whole thread dedicated to the proposition that we can't have two '34s on the same account per DIRECTV® fiat. At the same time, a few report having networked a couple.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#70 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

There are a FEW (And I mean that literally) people on here that have 2 HR34s. They are successfully networked together and can use MRV between the 2. Really, it's like have 2 HR24s, but with 10 tuners. However, for some reason, Directv does not allow 2 HR34s on the same account. They won't sell/lease you a 2nd one, and if you obtain one through a 3rd party (Solid Signal), they won't activate, will want it back, and according to some people, will NOT refund the $400 you paid for it.

#71 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:05 PM

If you had asked me 6 months ago I would have said no. But with the latest software for it it's a much better box and would have no problem recommending it.

If you had asked me 6 months ago, I would have said yes. But with the latest software it's so much worse a box I have no ability whatsoever to recommend it.

#72 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

though she hasn't dabbled in PIP.

Too many button presses? If it only had a PIP toggle...... ;)

I don't have one yet, but I've tried out my dads and like it. I want to get one, but I keep thinking D* maybe coming out with an 8 tuner one and take advantage of the SWiM 8, allowing for up to 4 streams at once. :grin:

spam firewall