Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Two HR2x's to HR34+H2x Questions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Getting ready to order an HR34 with an H2x to replace my two HRxx DVRs with MRV(?). The reason is that I find it inconvenient to have to physically go to the second DVR to record a third program at the same time. Before I order I have just a few questions:

1. I can record five programs simultaneously and watch two recordings, one each from my two TV's, all at the same time, right?

2. I can schedule any recordings from both receivers?

3. I can or cannot pause a live TV program from the H2x? In relation to this what is an RVU I believe I have seen mentioned that will do this function?

4. Is the HR34 faster or slower than the HR2x models when it comes to changing channels, bringing up the guide, info, etc?

5. Will by cost for receivers go up? It's currently $6/mo.

Thanks for any input.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,793 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

1. You can record 5. You can watch one live (or recorded) from the H2x, and one recorded from the HR34. Or you can record 4, and watch live from both the H2x and the HR34.

2. Yes.

3. Cannot, unless you record it, then play it back (right away).

4. Mine seems to be pretty much the same.

5. It's gone up every year in Feb or Mar. I would expect an increase in the spring.

An RVU client is either a select model of Samsung TV, or a yet to be released small box that would go at your TV and work with the HR34. RVU works much like a receiver except it uses a tuner from the HR34, it does not have it's own, but it does have full trick play on live TV. It is unknown when DirecTV will release an RVU client.

#3 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

1. You can record 5. You can watch one live (or recorded) from the H2x, and one recorded from the HR34. Or you can record 4, and watch live from both the H2x and the HR34.

2. Yes.

3. Cannot, unless you record it, then play it back (right away).

4. Mine seems to be pretty much the same.

5. It's gone up every year in Feb or Mar. I would expect an increase in the spring.

An RVU client is either a select model of Samsung TV, or a yet to be released small box that would go at your TV and work with the HR34. RVU works much like a receiver except it uses a tuner from the HR34, it does not have it's own, but it does have full trick play on live TV. It is unknown when DirecTV will release an RVU client.

Well, after 1.5 hours of intense discussion with Level 1 and a Resolution Agent I was finally able to strike a deal for an HR34 in order to do the above. However, for some strange reason, perhaps someone here might know why, the RA would not replace my 2nd HR2x with a H2x. AFAIK this means I still cannot schedule a recording on the dvr that is in the other room location. The remote system must be a non-dvr, correct?

So what do I do then? I don't really need the ability to record seven different programs at once. Only the ability to schedule a recording from the other location. Any thoughts on this on how to take my next step?

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

You could just get something like an H25 from SolidSignal, deactivate the old DVR and activate the receiver. That would cost $100 though.

A DVR cannot set something to record on a different DVR. At least, that is now. Always hope for the future.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,480 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

You can use the iPad app to do what you want, but you may not have one handy. You can use other devices, too, as well as the DIRECTV® web site on any laptop or computer.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

You can use the iPad app to do what you want, but you may not have one handy. You can use other devices, too, as well as the DIRECTV® web site on any laptop or computer.

I have a tablet but that concept is not convenient, IMO.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,480 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have a tablet but that concept is not convenient, IMO.

Well, your opinion is the only one that counts, here.

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Well, after 1.5 hours of intense discussion with Level 1 and a Resolution Agent I was finally able to strike a deal for an HR34 in order to do the above. However, for some strange reason, perhaps someone here might know why, the RA would not replace my 2nd HR2x with a H2x. AFAIK this means I still cannot schedule a recording on the dvr that is in the other room location. The remote system must be a non-dvr, correct?

While this is true, why does it really matter?

If you're in the room with the HR2x and you want to record something, just record it on the HR2x. It will still be viewable on the HR34 too. The two units together will form a combined list.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

While this is true, why does it really matter?

If you're in the room with the HR2x and you want to record something, just record it on the HR2x. It will still be viewable on the HR34 too. The two units together will form a combined list.

Actually, I think you just cracked the code for me. I have lowered the odds of when I am faced with the problem of recording more than two programs at once from one location. Now it's only half the time. Maybe I can live with that.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,480 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

Actually, I think you just cracked the code for me. I have lowered the odds of when I am faced with the problem of recording more than two programs at once from one location. Now it's only half the time. Maybe I can live with that.

With a bit of management, you can cut that way down, perhaps to less than 5% of the time. Just put the 34 where'll you'll be most, and use the 24 mostly for series.

Good luck, and enjoy!

#11 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

With a bit of management, you can cut that way down, perhaps to less than 5% of the time. Just put the 34 where'll you'll be most, and use the 24 mostly for series.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Easier said than done but not out of the relm of possibility. What are the chances of D* adding the remote scheduling function to the MRV feature? Is it possble from an engineering standpoint?

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,480 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

Easier said than done but not out of the relm of possibility. What are the chances of D* adding the remote scheduling function to the MRV feature? Is it possble from an engineering standpoint?

I gauge the chances at 16.98% over the next 12 months. I believe it's quite possible.

OK. The first number is not only spuriously accurate, it is spurious. A guess based on hope as much as anything. And I am not a software developer.

#13 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

I'm looking at similar options. I think I'll add the 34, and keep my HR24. I like recording on the local unit when possible. (It seems quicker.)

One question. Does the HR34 use the same remote codes as the HR20 it will be replacing? (I have a sling box, and I'm hoping to not have to go through setup to replace the codes.)
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#14 OFFLINE   jborchel

jborchel

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:35 AM

Well, after 1.5 hours of intense discussion with Level 1 and a Resolution Agent I was finally able to strike a deal for an HR34 in order to do the above. However, for some strange reason, perhaps someone here might know why, the RA would not replace my 2nd HR2x with a H2x.

I thought of a reason why the agent wouldn't replace my 2nd HR2x with an H2x. Seems like I remember someone saying that the HR34 counts as 2 dvr's in their eyes. Does that mean that with 1 dvr and 1 HR34 the math will look like this:

$6 + $12 - $6(credit) = $12.

my current bill is $6 + $6 - $6(credit) = $6

Also, I opened my email this morning and got a notice of acceptance of order of HR34 and scheduled appointment of installation for tomorrow. However, there was no discount listed. Is this normal? Anybody know?

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,793 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

I'm looking at similar options. I think I'll add the 34, and keep my HR24. I like recording on the local unit when possible. (It seems quicker.)

One question. Does the HR34 use the same remote codes as the HR20 it will be replacing? (I have a sling box, and I'm hoping to not have to go through setup to replace the codes.)

The remote commands are the same as for the HR2x series, and it will work fine with your slingbox.

spam firewall