Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Will DirecTV offer a product like Dish's Tailgater?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Geeze

Geeze

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

I was talking to a saleman at the DirecTV booth at the state fair yesterday and told him I wished they offered a product like Dish's Tailgater. He said one was in the works and should be available by the summer of 2013. I know Winegard and King Controls, maker of the Tailgater, currently offer similar products but neither have HD capability for Direc. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about DirecTV offering such a product or maybe the salesman just speculating?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

I was talking to a saleman at the DirecTV booth at the state fair yesterday and told him I wished they offered a product like Dish's Tailgater. He said one was in the works and should be available by the summer of 2013. I know Winegard and King Controls, maker of the Tailgater, currently offer similar products but neither have HD capability for Direc. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about DirecTV offering such a product or maybe the salesman just speculating?

You really can't put any stock in what a salesman in a DIRECTV booth at a state fair says, who for the most part are not true reps. of the company anyhow.

But no, no such "official" tailgater accessory for DIRECTV is known to be in the works. And given that DIRECTV HD uses the Ka-Band which is less forgiving and requires more critical fine tuning adjustments than the Ku-Band, such an accessory would be less amenable to quick and relatively hassle free setups needed for tailgating.

#3 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

There is no RV dome dish on the market that does D HD. Since they only have a single LNB it is not possible to get both SD and HD with a Mobile dome dish.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#4 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

You really can't put any stock in what a salesman in a DIRECTV booth at a state fair says, who for the most part are not true reps. of the company anyhow.

But no, no such "official" tailgater accessory for DIRECTV is known to be in the works. And given that DIRECTV HD uses the Ka-Band which is less forgiving and requires more critical fine tuning adjustments than the Ku-Band, such an accessory would be less amenable to quick and relatively hassle free setups needed for tailgating.

Why is it so difficult? There is a 5lnb dish available for marine applications that can track the Ka birds.

LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, HR24, Xbox One.

Bonus: 70" Vizio, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun

#5 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 481 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

That marine dome is about the size of an outdoor trash can, weighs 60 lb. and costs $15k.

I can see where a D* version of a "tailgater" could be built, but the size, weight, and cost would probably make it a non-starter.

Plain facts are, when D* went to the Ka-band system for HD, they shot themselves in both feet with regard to easy or affordable RV or portable use.

Keith

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:56 PM

A few years ago DirecTV had the Sat-Go. It didn't sell very well. They probably won't want to try that again.

They are still available actually:

http://www.solidsign...&sku=8546300018
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   josborn3

josborn3

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

I'm amazed no one here has heard of King Controls VuCube, which is for DirectTV and came out BEFORE the Tailgater.  Both look identical except one is for DirectTV (VuCube) and one for Dish (Tailgater).  King Controls also makes the VuCube Flex which works on both DirectTV and Dish (with the appropriate receiver and accounts of course).  I own the Tailgater because I prefer Dish over DirectTV.  The best deals seem to be for the Tailgater.  So Far, the best I have seen is $149 for a bundle which includes the Tailgater, receiver, coax and HDMI cables for one price.  Here is a link to their sight for the VuCube Flex:

http://www.kingcontr...qube/vq2100.asp

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

I'm amazed no one here has heard of King Controls VuCube, which is for DirectTV and came out BEFORE the Tailgater.  Both look identical except one is for DirectTV (VuCube) and one for Dish (Tailgater).  King Controls also makes the VuCube Flex which works on both DirectTV and Dish (with the appropriate receiver and accounts of course).  I own the Tailgater because I prefer Dish over DirectTV.  The best deals seem to be for the Tailgater.  So Far, the best I have seen is $149 for a bundle which includes the Tailgater, receiver, coax and HDMI cables for one price.  Here is a link to their sight for the VuCube Flex:

http://www.kingcontr...qube/vq2100.asp

From the website in the link:

HDTV. For customers wanting to received HDTV programming with our mobile antennas, we recommend Dish Network HDTV programming as you can access all available channels.  These antennas are not compatible with DIRECTV's Ka band HD signals which require a typical home style dish that is 3' wide x 2' high.

Tailgater Receiver Requirements.  For reception of DISH Standard Definition and High Definition programming it is required to use the DISH VIP211K, VIP211 or 411 receivers.

Single vs. Dual Tuner receivers. King Controls recommends using a SINGLE TUNER receiver. For DISH Network we recommend the 301 or 311 receivers.  For DIRECTV, we recommend the D11 or D12 receivers.  We do not recommend the use of dual tuner receivers or receiver recorders.

Edited by jimmie57, 27 July 2013 - 06:43 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,269 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

From the website in the link:

HDTV. For customers wanting to received HDTV programming with our mobile antennas, we recommend Dish Network HDTV programming as you can access all available channels.  These antennas are not compatible with DIRECTV's Ka band HD signals which require a typical home style dish that is 3' wide x 2' high.

Tailgater Receiver Requirements.  For reception of DISH Standard Definition and High Definition programming it is required to use the DISH VIP211K, VIP211 or 411 receivers.

Single vs. Dual Tuner receivers. King Controls recommends using a SINGLE TUNER receiver. For DISH Network we recommend the 301 or 311 receivers.  For DIRECTV, we recommend the D11 or D12 receivers.  We do not recommend the use of dual tuner receivers or receiver recorders.

Yeah ...

The intent of that thread at the time was an official tailgater solution from DIRECTV that includes HD reception.

Also note the following from that website where it sates these products can only receive from one satellite position at a time;

Multiple Satellite Programming. King Control antennas can be used with programming from multiple satellites, but please keep in mind the antenna “locks-onto" one satellite signal at a time.  For multiple satellite programming like DISH 500, the antenna needs to switch between satellites to receive all of your programming.  Depending on the antenna you buy, this satellite switching is either done automatically by simply changing channels or may require manually storing 2 satellite locations into memory and then pressing a button to move back and forth. ...

That won't work for DIRECTV HD because you have to receive from at least two satellite locations at the same time. For instance to receive from 99 or 103 you must also receive from 101 or 119 simultaneously for program guide, authorizations, and other system information. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

Protected By... spam firewall...And...