Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tonight Show: Staff Layoffs, Leno Pay Cut

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

"Tonight Show" host Jay Leno is taking a significant reduction in pay and roughly two dozen staffers are being let go as part of a major budget restructuring at the late-night talk show.

Although "The Tonight Show" remains the top-rated late-night program, from a financial standpoint it is only break-even, according to a person familiar with the economics of the show. One reason for that is that the production budget of the show was not reduced when Leno moved back to late night after his ill-fated stint in prime time during the 2009-10 television season.

http://www.latimes.c...0,1772989.story
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Another who cares story for those of us who live in the real world. Besides, the show never was the same after Kevin Eubanks left and the show moved back to late night. I think that its time has come and gone. It passed its heyday years ago.

#3 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Another who cares story for those of us who live in the real world. Besides, the show never was the same after Kevin Eubanks left and the show moved back to late night. I think that its time has come and gone. It passed its heyday years ago.

That would explain why "The Tonight Show" remains the top-rated late-night program.

Now if Letterman would go away, I'd be happy.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#4 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,024 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

Sorry to hear Jay has died. He was a very good man even given his lack of entertainment ratings value to the network.
Eat **** John Stewart and David Letterman for your inconsiderate blog posts.

It sucks that this guy is your future and your past

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

I haven't found anything written by Jon Stewart or Dave Letterman...source?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

So Leno agreed to a $10M salary cut to help save jobs, but they still let 20 to 25 people go. How over staffed was his show that they could let that many go? I will say it was nice if it is true that he offered to take a pay cut to help keep his staff. IIRC he also was paying some of his staff out of his own pocket back during the writers strike. Too bad there aren't more bosses around like that that try to give to the workers vs. trying to figure out how to take from them.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

And since he's so wildly overpaid and clearly doesn't need the money, he could easily give up another $10M.

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

And since he's so wildly overpaid and clearly doesn't need the money, he could easily give up another $10M.

Actually he probably could. I saw in another story that he basically just banks is money from the Tonight Show and lives off the money from his road shows.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,985 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Sorry to hear Jay has died. He was a very good man even given his lack of entertainment ratings value to the network.
Eat **** John Stewart and David Letterman for your inconsiderate blog posts.

Good heavens has Letterman become a boor. Used to like him on Late, Late or whatever it was called years ago, but he is the most class-less host with experience. (hence leaving out Kimmel and others.)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Actually he probably could. I saw in another story that he basically just banks is money from the Tonight Show and lives off the money from his road shows.

Pretty much. That has been a philosophy of his for his entire life. He's said that growing up, he worked two jobs, one for spending money and one for saving.

I know he was appreciated in Wilmington when he put on free shows there. The area was hit hard when their biggest employer shut down, and it gave them at least a few hours of humor and escape.

#11 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 872 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Another who cares story for those of us who live in the real world. Besides, the show never was the same after Kevin Eubanks left...

The Tonight Show hasn't been the same since Carson left.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#12 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,319 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

:scratch:

Of course it hasn't been the same -- Leno is a different guy. Did you mean that, in your opinion, the 'Tonight Show' hasn't been as good since Carson retired?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#13 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

NEW YORK (TheWrap.com) - Jay Leno used his first "Tonight Show" monologue since layoffs at the show to blame NBC and corporate parent Comcast for the job losses.

"Welcome to 'The Tonight Show,' or as Comcast calls us, 'The Expendables,'" he said Monday.

<snip>

"As you may have heard, our parent company has downsized 'The Tonight Show.' And we've consistently been number one in the ratings," Leno continued in the monologue. "And if you know anything about our network, that kind of thing is frowned upon."

http://www.chicagotr...0,2371923.story

#14 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

I agree. Actually, I thought about saying the same thing, but 1992 is a long time ago and I didn't think that many people would remember.

Actually, I don't think that the show has regained the ratings it had prior to the 2010 Conan O'Brien situation, although it still may be number one in its time slot. But in my opinion the show jumped the shark when Kevin Eubanks left.

#15 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Never understood who still watched these shows, seems to me the ratings are so low it would be better to just show reruns after the local news. Not sure if most people don't realize or just don't care that the only reason a celeb does these is for the plug, but the same goes for the TMZ stories/hype those are also for the plugs before a movie, book, tv show or record comes out. Beiber just happens to slap a photog before a tour, Lohan just happens to make a scene in a hotel while filming a new movie, Olivia Munn's phone was "hacked" right before a new show, give me a break. It is the best free publicity they could have and people lap it up.

I might be wrong but I have heard in the "old days" celeb's would actually just show up to a Carson, Paar or Allen show for no reason other than to just be on the show from time to time, I guarantee you that never happens today.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

I wish I could have seen more of his show. I was a fan of Doc as well.

#17 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,651 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

I wish I could have seen more of his show.

Heeeeeeeeeeeere you go!

http://www.amazon.co...45595369&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co...45595369&sr=1-4

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,333 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Heeeeeeeeeeeere you go!

http://www.amazon.co...45595369&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.co...45595369&sr=1-4

I knew it was on video, just not the same somehow.

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,985 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

Never understood who still watched these shows, seems to me the ratings are so low it would be better to just show reruns after the local news. Not sure if most people don't realize or just don't care that the only reason a celeb does these is for the plug, but the same goes for the TMZ stories/hype those are also for the plugs before a movie, book, tv show or record comes out. Beiber just happens to slap a photog before a tour, Lohan just happens to make a scene in a hotel while filming a new movie, Olivia Munn's phone was "hacked" right before a new show, give me a break. It is the best free publicity they could have and people lap it up.

I might be wrong but I have heard in the "old days" celeb's would actually just show up to a Carson, Paar or Allen show for no reason other than to just be on the show from time to time, I guarantee you that never happens today.

Well, I watch Leno every day he's on. Sometimes the next day, always recorded. His opening monologue is almost always well written and deftly presented. I like many of his skits. Very few guests are of interest, and a lot are clearly "suggested" by the network, promoting other NBC network shows in an Oh-so-subtle way..... But it's always recorded, and the FF goes to near the end, where sometimes there's a new standup who's clever and funny.

The days of Carson, Paar and Allen are long gone.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

That would explain why "The Tonight Show" remains the top-rated late-night program.

Now if Letterman would go away, I'd be happy.

No, actually Nightline beats the Tonight Show in the ratings.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...