Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using esata drive...seeing old recordings on internal!?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

OK, I hooked an eSata drive up.

Has anyone noticed video and audio skipping?

Could it be the drive or the eSata interface isn't fast enough?

Skipping like crazy on True Blood on 501 at 9 PM EST viewing.

Also annoyed that all the settings have to be done over again. It would be one thing if you can transfer those at least.

What drive/enclosure combo are you trying to use and with which HR are you trying to use it?

As far as settings... When you go from an internal drive to external anything kept on the drive has to be re-done. This includes series links, guide data, poster art, cast and crew info, etc.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Hr20, one of the first models.

The drive, I'm not sure but it came from a FireWire 800 drive, put in an eSata enclosure from Amazon.

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

Hr20, one of the first models.

The drive, I'm not sure but it came from a FireWire 800 drive, put in an eSata enclosure from Amazon.

Please let us know what model hard drive and enclosure. Believe it or not that can make a difference.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

This is the enclosure:

http://www.amazon.co...e 800 enclosure

The drive came from a LaCie Firewire drive so it probably wasn't 7200 RPM nor had anything like a 32 MB cache. It was 750 GB in capacity, a few years old.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

YOU could do a copy from your old drive to the new - it would save all your setting, etc

#26 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

This is the enclosure:

The drive came from a LaCie Firewire drive so it probably wasn't 7200 RPM nor had anything like a 32 MB cache. It was 750 GB in capacity, a few years old.

I do not recall anyone reporting using that enclosure. You may be heading out into uncharted waters.

There are some drives that just do not work well with the HR's, without knowing the exact make/model of the drive it can't be ruled out as the issue.

You may want to read through this thread, there's some good info in there you may need.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=160800
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

YOU could do a copy from your old drive to the new - it would save all your setting, etc

He was already told that, but thanks for playing... Doesn't seem like he wants to open up the unit.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

This is the enclosure:

Try a fresh drive and one of the recommended enclosures.

#29 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

Is there a FAQ somewhere with the recommended list of drives and enclosures?

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

In the thread I gave you a link to a few posts up.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

There's a link to a thread that RunnerFL posted earlier.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#32 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Thanks.

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Any Green Caviar WD drive should work on an HR20-700. Use a Thermaltake (TT) docking station. I'd send you a link to the docking station, but Amazon won't let me. Something new.

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hmm, the first post of that thread is 2009. When I search for the WDGS10000, this comes up:

http://www.amazon.co...ital wdg1s10000

Any luck with that model?

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Hmm, the first post of that thread is 2009. When I search for the WDGS10000, this comes up:

http://www.amazon.co...ital wdg1s10000

Any luck with that model?

You really want a 1TB HDD? You're better off with a 2TB drive.

Rich

#36 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

1. Just restart receiver and disconnect external to get back to internal. and vice versa. It should retain all recordings on each drive when switching aback and forth...

It's actually easier than this; you do not have to disconnect or reconnect the cable, and as a matter of fact you should not, because the eSATA connector is not designed robustly enough to survive a large number of connects/disconnects. It is designed to hold up physically only to a small number of connects/disconnects because it is assumed (quite incorrectly) that this is how it would be used; never connected more than a dozen or so times ever in its lifetime. Certainly it may last for hundreds, but why tempt fate when you don't have to?

The good news here is that it doesn't matter.

To boot to the internal drive, simply power down the external drive at the beginning of the reboot; the DVR will see only the internal and boot to that.

To boot to the external drive, simply make sure the x drive has been powered up for 30 seconds or so; the DVR will see both drives yet default to mounting only the x drive.

It can't mount both at once. Wouldn't adding that capability be a nice feature for them to add?
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#37 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

"because the eSATA connector is not designed robustly enough to survive a large number of connects/disconnects."
Specifically eSATA cable and connectors/recepticals designed for much more re-inserts then regular SATA connectors (I recall these limited to 50, but better check SATA org specifications).

#38 OFFLINE   wco81

wco81

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

You really want a 1TB HDD? You're better off with a 2TB drive.

Rich

I browsed that thread. Looks like D* lists a limited number of off the shelf products but if you want more capacity, it's DIY, meaning you need enclosure or dock and certain types of drives.

May do that but but this is an HR20 so I'm not sure I'm going to have that very long. 1 TB may be enough for that, since a 2 TB drive and enclosure/dock is going to run over $150, it appears.

#39 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

"because the eSATA connector is not designed robustly enough to survive a large number of connects/disconnects."
Specifically eSATA cable and connectors/recepticals designed for much more re-inserts then regular SATA connectors (I recall these limited to 50, but better check SATA org specifications).

You are probably right about all of that, P. But the bottom line is this:

1. You don't have to be concerned with disconnecting and reconnecting the cable. I've proven that by not disconnecting them as my SOP for many years now.

2. Because of number 1, you don't have to be concerned with any possibility of a short shelf-life for those connectors.

You probably know me well enough to understand that I like to see evidence supporting any internet "factoids". But another thing about me is that if there is enough doubt cast on something even without evidence (such as whether connectors were or were not designed for robustness) I think the smartest thing to do is to use caution, just in case that "factoid" turns out to be a real fact.

And the good news is that it doesn't even matter. But if you are someone regularly disconnecting and connecting those connectors, you will then not be surprised when on connection number 51, things don't work out the way you might have first planned.

So the word to the wise here is still "be careful" and "minimize the number of connections".
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

If you want to keep it connected all the time, then it would definitely elongate a life of eSATA cable and connectors.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...