Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I think I just killed my SWiM16 and suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,908 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

I was moving cables and stupidly forgot to unplug my power inverter. When I was connecting the cables I taped the conductor on the shield and it arced. Not I have 775 on all the boxes. I tried a different PI with no luck. Any advice before I pop the attic and start swapping my SWM5 for the 16?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

I've done that before and it didn't mess up my SWM16. Did you completely power down the SWM16 and let it sit for a bit before trying to power it back up?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,908 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

for about 10 minutes

#4 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,908 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

I've done that before and it didn't mess up my SWM16. Did you completely power down the SWM16 and let it sit for a bit before trying to power it back up?

Crisis is over. Whew!!

When you are in a panic moving cables, and you arc one, make sure it is not flopped with another.

I got in the attic and realized I had them backwards.

Mods can close this embarrassing thread at any time

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

Great news! I know how much of an issue it was for you when you got it, I'd hate to know you blew out the SWM16.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,908 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Great news! I know how much of an issue it was for you when you got it, I'd hate to know you blew out the SWM16.

Damn thing has become as important as the dish itself. I think I am going to keep my eye out for a second one for back-up. That thing can shut down the house if it goes bad.
Pretty scary thinking I would be waiting for a UPS truck to get things back up and running.

Thanks for the help.

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,250 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

I was going to post that to completely reset the SWiM/DECA networks I typically have to turn off everything that connects to the coax: SWiM, every receiver, and every DECA device. Wait ten minutes (usually takes me that long to run around the house anyway), then power up SWiM, DECA, then receivers. Usually works.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#8 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,662 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:55 AM

Crisis is over. Whew!!

When you are in a panic moving cables, and you arc one, make sure it is not flopped with another.

I got in the attic and realized I had them backwards.

Mods can close this embarrassing thread at any time

I guess the lesson learned...

Where there's SMOKE, there's armophob... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

spam firewall