Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need a small 3D display?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,617 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Hmmmm. Wonder if there is an iPad app that'd work...
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,617 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

All righty, then! I'm now officially dipping toe into 3D TV, as I just came home with the little Sony display, and can report the DIRECTV® remote can control sound, inputs, and power. It set up in a minute using the auto set up on HR24.

Now, the conundrum: How do I find 3D sources on DIRECTV®? Other than Search where I found ESPN's channel on 106.

Edited by Laxguy, 21 August 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

All righty, then! I'm now officially dipping toe into 3D TV, as I just came home with the little Sony display, and can report the DIRECTV® remote can control sound, inputs, and power. It set up in a minute using the auto set up on HR24.

Now, the conundrum: How do I find 3D sources on DIRECTV®? Other than Search where I found ESPN's channel on 106.

Ch 107 is 3net and 105 is the DoD channel and 104 is the PPV channel.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#24 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,617 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Ch 107 is 3net and 105 is the DoD channel and 104 is the PPV channel.

Thanks, I realized I was looking at my non-3D main set, which won't show those. I've recored a bunch, have seen five minutes of skateboarding. Just glad I didn't buy a new big screen.....

#25 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for that. As soon as I get around to moving the display and one of my HR24s to the bedroom, I'll get that configured.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#26 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:35 AM

Does one have to do anything to be able to view 3D content? I ask because I just got a small (32") 3D HDTV for the guest room, and it's connected to an HR21. When I connected everything and turned to the 3D channels, they were instead in split screen mode and not 3D. This made me wonder if I have to do anything to be able to view those channels in 3D.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#27 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

With the Sony display I have, there is a setting for which type of 3D it will do and also has one setting for 'auto' so it can figure it out for itself.

I don't know if that is the way all sets work, or if you have to tell it which 3D version to use.

Lloyd

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,617 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

I have the same Sony that lparsons has, and it just displays 3D with no fiddling. I will fiddle later, but it was in auto mode, apparently, as the 3D stations just showed up.

How is the screen "split"?

#29 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Just as the word implies--the picture is on both halves of the screen, an identical duplicate on each side.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#30 ONLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

Just as the word implies--the picture is on both halves of the screen, an identical duplicate on each side.

Broadcast 3D is presented in SBS (side by side) form, hence the "split screen" you are seeing. There should be settings on your TV for the type of 3D picture. They may be in a menu item named 3D. Out of curiosity, what brand TV is it?

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#31 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Vizio

#32 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

OK, I figured out how to get the 3D showing, but what I find irritating is that I have to go into the TV's menu, select 3D, then the output (split screen), every time I go to a 3D channel. Worse, when I change the channel to a non-3D one, I have to go back into the TV's menu and change the output to 2D, another 3-step, pain-in-the-ass process.

Who the heck would want to watch 3D when doing so is such a tedious process?

#33 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

It's all moot now anyway. I'm returning this particular model for a refund. Too bad, too, because its picture was awesome, and the price was a steal. However, it lacks one key feature other Vizios lack--the ability to auto-detect 3D content and switch to it.

I was on the phone with Vizio, and after a lengthy troubleshooting attempt, the technician came back and admitted that this model doesn't have auto-detection of 3D content, so, as he explained, "Yes, you have to go into the menu and through the process of selecting 3D content and the output type. Then when going back to 2D, you have to re-enter the menu and go through the process once again to watch 2D content."

As I told him, this was just stupid as hell, downright insane. I also told him that the remote pictured in the manual, where the remote shown there had a button labeled "3D," was not the remote that was included with this TV. I had a remote where the "3D" button was instead the "wide" button.

The strange thing about this is that when I turned the TV on while talking to the rep, having left the DVR on a 3D channel, the TV had an auto-detect 3D box pop up, asking me if I wanted to watch the broadcast in 3D. Apparently, this works if I turn the unit on from a cold start, but when switching channels to/from a 3D one, it does not.

#34 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

If you just need a small set, then the 24" Sony PS3 3D display might be doable for you. It seems BestBuy still has some, others might also.

http://www.bestbuy.c...splay&cp=1&lp=1

At $199 it is a steal too and it does have auto 3D detection and setup. No remote and no tuners, but the HR remote will control it.

Lloyd

#35 ONLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,429 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

OK, I figured out how to get the 3D showing, but what I find irritating is that I have to go into the TV's menu, select 3D, then the output (split screen), every time I go to a 3D channel. Worse, when I change the channel to a non-3D one, I have to go back into the TV's menu and change the output to 2D, another 3-step, pain-in-the-ass process.

Who the heck would want to watch 3D when doing so is such a tedious process?

+1. I have a 42 inch Vizio 3D and can sympathize with you. I haven't watched too much 3D broadcast content, other than the Olympics on NBC, so it hasn't been that much of a problem for me. I have other issues, such as when using my Panasonic 3D Blu-ray player to play a 3D movie, the TV detects 3D content and then presents a screen giving about 5 seconds to accept 3D content before defaulting to 2D. Hardly enough time to grab the Vizio remote and arrow left and press select. The only option then left is to press the 3D button on the TV remote and then select 3D. I assume the same is true with 3D broadcasts, although I don't recall if this worked with the Olympics.
Bottom line - let the TV default to 2D, then press the 3D button on the TV and select 3D. I think that will work. :grin:

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#36 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Yes, that would work. However, my remote doesn't even have THAT function. The remote in the manual that is my model number does have the 3D button.

spam firewall