Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Connecting two HR24's?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MattN03

MattN03

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

I'm considering switching from Dish Network and looking at the different options on DTV. I know the HR34 and another HR24 is one option (DVR service on each TV is a must have). Is another option to have 2 HR24 and connect them possible? Can I share recordings and assign recordings to either DVR and view on the opposite TV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

I'm considering switching from Dish Network and looking at the different options on DTV. I know the HR34 and another HR24 is one option (DVR service on each TV is a must have). Is another option to have 2 HR24 and connect them possible? Can I share recordings and assign recordings to either DVR and view on the opposite TV?

Two HR24s can connect and share recordings [with MRV], but you can't assign which will record a program. Each can only record on themselves.
The H2x [non DVR] receivers can select which DVR to record a show.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   MattN03

MattN03

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

so would a HR34 + HR24 be a better option?

#4 OFFLINE   MattN03

MattN03

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

I'm IMing with a DTV rep now and they told me this:

Because HD DVR and HD receivers can be networked with WHole Home DVR service you don't need 1 DVR for each TV. You can enjoy full DVR functionality on both TVs with 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver.

Is it true that with a HMC, you don't need a DVR for every TV?

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:19 AM

Because HD DVR and HD receivers can be networked with WHole Home DVR service you don't need 1 DVR for each TV. You can enjoy full DVR functionality on both TVs with 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver.

Yes. The only exception is you cannot pause live TV on the receiver unless you tell the receiver to record the program on the HMC, and then hit list and play to watch the show while the HMC is recording it.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   MattN03

MattN03

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

Yes. The only exception is you cannot pause live TV on the receiver unless you tell the receiver to record the program on the HMC, and then hit list and play to watch the show while the HMC is recording it.

Not sure if I'd like that. So a HR24 connected to the HR34 would allow you to pause live TV and I could view HR24 recordings on the HR34 and vice versa?

#7 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,831 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

Not sure if I'd like that. So a HR24 connected to the HR34 would allow you to pause live TV and I could view HR24 recordings on the HR34 and vice versa?

Correct.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

Yes. The drawback to that combo is that you cannot schedule a recording to the HMC from the HR24, or to the HR24 from the HMC. You can, however, do it with a smartphone, tablet, computer app, or by walking into the other room :)

I prefer the HMC/HR24 combo since the monthly cost is the same as the HMC/receiver combo as it adds another tuner, and offers more flexibility.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#9 OFFLINE   MattN03

MattN03

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

Ok, I'm thinking the HMC/HR24 combo is the best for me. Is there anyway I can get my local secondary channels (ie 18-2, 18-2, 18-3) with the receivers?

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,208 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Aside from the initial cost, I don't see what purpose a plain receiver serves.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   WhiteMask

WhiteMask

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

Here's my objective. Having read DBS for hours lately, I have decided to put external drives on my Hr21-100 and Hr21-700 DVR's. I would also like to share the playlists from these separate DVRs. The receivers are in 2 different rooms and do not have a hard wired car 5 connection available for my home network. Here are my questions for which I would be grateful to receive answers:
1. Can I connect my hr 21 to my network using a wireless transmitter/receiver like I use to get VUDU signals to my old VUDU box?

2. If so, what do you equipment do recommend for this wireless network connection?(I believe I did use it once with the HR21 and it saw my network)

3. Can I do the same thing with the 21-700 on the other room?

4. Once on my network, will they see each other and be ready for MRV.

Thanks

5 Will the external drive work with MRV - since they replace the internal, I'm guessing no problem.
Planned Obsolescence . . humans, too??

#12 OFFLINE   MattN03

MattN03

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

Ok, after some more research on terminology here, it looks like the AM21 is what I'd want to receive my OTA sub channels. When I questioned the online DTV rep, he said the AM21 is free, but it'll cost another $6/month to use it. Does this sound correct if I'm a new customer?

#13 OFFLINE   WhiteMask

WhiteMask

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

Oh. by the way, I am using a slimline 5 LNB with 2 antenna dees to each receiver - no single wire, if this matters

#14 OFFLINE   MattN03

MattN03

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Here's my objective. Having read DBS for hours lately, I have decided to put external drives on my Hr21-100 and Hr21-700 DVR's. I would also like to share the playlists from these separate DVRs. The receivers are in 2 different rooms and do not have a hard wired car 5 connection available for my home network. Here are my questions for which I would be grateful to receive answers:
1. Can I connect my hr 21 to my network using a wireless transmitter/receiver like I use to get VUDU signals to my old VUDU box?

2. If so, what do you equipment do recommend for this wireless network connection?(I believe I did use it once with the HR21 and it saw my network)

3. Can I do the same thing with the 21-700 on the other room?

4. Once on my network, will they see each other and be ready for MRV.

Thanks

5 Will the external drive work with MRV - since they replace the internal, I'm guessing no problem.

ok, I'm thinking you meant to start a new thread since it's off topic of the thread I created here?

#15 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,555 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Ok, after some more research on terminology here, it looks like the AM21 is what I'd want to receive my OTA sub channels. When I questioned the online DTV rep, he said the AM21 is free, but it'll cost another $6/month to use it. Does this sound correct if I'm a new customer?

I don't think that is correct. The CSR was probably thnking that the AM21 is another DirecTv receiver which would be $6/month more. I have the AM21 connected to an HR24 and there is no extra charge shown on my bill.

Edited by jdspencer, 19 August 2012 - 12:05 PM.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

While they "might" give you the $50 AM21 for free, it doesn't have a monthly charge.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Oh. by the way, I am using a slimline 5 LNB with 2 antenna dees to each receiver - no single wire, if this matters

It does as that means you can't use the coax networking [DECA] option and wireless isn't the best option as it doesn't always work well enough.
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   WhiteMask

WhiteMask

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

It does as that means you can't use the coax networking [DECA] option and wireless isn't the best option as it doesn't always work well enough.

VOS, thanks for this info. Does the setup I suggested suffice - when it's working?

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

VOS, thanks for this info. Does the setup I suggested suffice - when it's working?

Some have gotten it to work, but it's so "iffy" I wouldn't invest in the hardware to try it without being able to return it.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

ok, I'm thinking you meant to start a new thread since it's off topic of the thread I created here?

Sorry, but threads always do this, so hopefully both of you will get the info you want.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall