Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CCK can't connect to my comcast router

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

I really have no idea of why this WCCK has a different secondary IP, or whether it affects anything.
It is merely something "strange" on a WCCK that can't get internet access from the router that it is connected to through WiFi.
Are the two related? :shrug:

Great question and would be nice to know the answer to it once everything is resolved.
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Great question and would be nice to know the answer to it once everything is resolved.

The OP is planning to have DirecTV run a coax near the router and go with a BB DECA, so we may never know.
A.K.A VOS

#203 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

The OP is planning to have DirecTV run a coax near the router and go with a BB DECA, so we may never know.

Oh well. As long as he gets fixed up that's all that really matters for the purposes of this thread.
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#204 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Being basically clueless about all the features & functions in a router, this may be completely off the wall, "but" instead of trying to open a port in the router, "I wonder" if there is a protocol or feature that should be turned off?
Could there be something in the default settings that the WCCK doesn't like?
Could this be why the secondary IP is being set to one from the router?

:shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#205 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Being basically clueless about all the features & functions in a router, this may be completely off the wall, "but" instead of trying to open a port in the router, "I wonder" if there is a protocol or feature that should be turned off?
Could there be something in the default settings that the WCCK doesn't like?
Could this be why the secondary IP is being set to one from the router?

:shrug:

That's why I recommended DMZ zone. It is a totally wide open connection to that port it is applied on.

#206 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

That's why I recommended DMZ zone. It is a totally wide open connection to that port it is applied on.

"But what if" it isn't a port that is blocking/closed, but instead a port open/feature enabled, that causes the problem?
I'm just wondering if we've been looking at this backwards. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#207 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

"But what if" it isn't a port that is blocking/closed, but instead a port open/feature enabled, that causes the problem?
I'm just wondering if we've been looking at this backwards. :shrug:

My actual suggestion would be to setup port forwarding, but that is nothing I want to tackle over the phone.

A feature of the router conflicting with the WCCK is a possibility too. Would have to know what advanced features the router has first.

#208 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

My actual suggestion would be to setup port forwarding, but that is nothing I want to tackle over the phone.

A feature of the router conflicting with the WCCK is a possibility too. Would have to know what advanced features the router has first.

Here's where there is a link to the comcast user's manual:
http://www.wikidevi....D3GNV_(Comcast)

After looking through all 54 pages:

• I'm not sure the router had a factory reset last night. [since the laptop WiFi wasn't lost]
  • There's a whole section for parental controls and I have no idea of what the defaults are.

A.K.A VOS

#209 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

What I don't like about the whole thing is it seems the router grants the CCKW an IP address via DHCP like it should but then appears to refuse to forward traffic back and forth... It would be nice to know what the CCKW is doing differently then the receiver plugged direct to router.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#210 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

What I don't like about the whole thing is it seems the router grants the CCKW an IP address via DHCP like it should but then appears to refuse to forward traffic back and forth... It would be nice to know what the CCKW is doing differently then the receiver plugged direct to router.

And to put a slightly sharper point on this:
What is the router doing/not doing over WiFi that isn't a problem with the BB DECA [HR21 to DECA to BB DECA to ethernet port on router], that was connected and worked?
A.K.A VOS

#211 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

And to put a slightly sharper point on this:
What is the router doing/not doing over WiFi that isn't a problem with the BB DECA [HR21 to DECA to BB DECA to ethernet port on router], that was connected and worked?

Another thing could be the type of wireless signal being used. Is it A,B,G or N and what is the WCCK using in that regards? The router might be on wireless B or N and the WCCK needs wireless G. There are just way to many variables to go through without having access to both devices simultaneously.

#212 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

Another thing could be the type of wireless signal being used. Is it A,B,G or N and what is the WCCK using in that regards? The router might be on wireless B or N and the WCCK needs wireless G. There are just way to many variables to go through without having access to both devices simultaneously.

The WCCK will connect to both G & N routers.
Now "if there was" a problem, wouldn't it show up trying to log into the WCCK over the WiFi connection, which worked fine?
A.K.A VOS

#213 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

The WCCK will connect to both G & N routers.
Now "if there was" a problem, wouldn't it show up trying to log into the WCCK over the WiFi connection, which worked fine?

I was just giving it as an example of a simple thing that it could be. My brain hurts trying to remember everything from this thread. :P

#214 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

I would say if the problem is with the Comcast router itself with HDCP protocol not giving out proper IP addresses it may just be simply defective. Maybe a firmware reset or upgrade would resolve the issue.

#215 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

I would say if the problem is with the Comcast router itself with HDCP protocol not giving out proper IP addresses it may just be simply defective. Maybe a firmware reset or upgrade would resolve the issue.

"You know you're getting tried when"....
an HDMI protocol is mixed up with a router's. :lol:

The DHCP seemed to have been passing out a "reasonable" IP address, subnet, and gateway/DNS. Everything within the LAN reacted to requests from other devices. The router simply wouldn't let the WCCK have access to the internet, which didn't matter if it was from a DVR or a laptop connected to the WCCK.
A.K.A VOS

#216 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

The DHCP seemed to have been passing out a "reasonable" IP address, subnet, and gateway/DNS. Everything within the LAN reacted to requests from other devices. The router simply wouldn't let the WCCK have access to the internet, which didn't matter if it was from a DVR or a laptop connected to the WCCK.

Lol sorry DHCP. My fingers have dyslexia. :P Dynamic Host Connection Protocol ;)

#217 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

What happened when you tried to ping the unknown device's IP address? I'm sure you answered this already but I really don't want to go back through the thread to find it.

#218 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

What happened when you tried to ping the unknown device's IP address? I'm sure you answered this already but I really don't want to go back through the thread to find it.

Actually "pinging" was never tried, nor thought would be needed, as logging into the WCCK's GUI was done a few times to test/proved connectivity.

I have a couple/few unknown on my router and one is this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1345493747

Attached Thumbnails

• 1-1.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#219 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 175 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

If he has an 802.11n capable router/gateway, might be worth looking to see if WMM is enabled or disabled. I've seen strange things happen with WMM disabled, especially on 5GHz wireless devices.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#220 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

If he has an 802.11n capable router/gateway, might be worth looking to see if WMM is enabled or disabled. I've seen strange things happen with WMM disabled, especially on 5GHz wireless devices.

It has b/N capabilities, but looks to be a 2.4 GHz only WiFi.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...