Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CCK can't connect to my comcast router

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

I really hope I get to use my Cisco router in the networking class I will need to take for my degree. So far I have taught myself on my own for the most part except for the bit I learned about basic networking at my community college. I don't think I want to be Cisco certified because there is too much upkeep on certifications and such, but would really like to learn what each and every setting and section of my router settings controls.

This thread has been great practice for me at least in testing my memory and troubleshooting skills. ;)
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

I skipped about 4 pages of this thread and since it appears to be just an educational thread now, as per VOS stating the OP is going to get a wired CCK installed, here's the best places to start.

Router Manufacturer and Model number.

IP, Gateway, and DNS address of a wired computer or item that is working properly
IP, Gateway, and DNS address of a wireless device that is working properly
IP, Gateway, and DNS address of item not working properly (in this case the IP of the WCCK and the DVR would be needed)

Confirm in the router that there is not a duplicate mac address for any connected device. (extremely rare and should technically never happen but I've seen it bring down the largest networks)

If all of these are correct then the problem is with device or the router. Rebooting the device is the first step. After that you have to look at wireless settings in the router itself. Today every software is designed to be "Plug n Play" which can actually make it harder to find out what the issues are because by default things can be setup that can cause issues.

Ping the non working device from a working device to ensure connectivity and routing. (This is a high level test you can do things like getting a port scanner and listen for the ports you want if you're so inclined but that's putting a 350 in a Chevette at this point)

If ping works then the router is routing properly to the devices. Now it's a matter of what settings the router has setup for wireless that wouldn't allow it outside of the network or that it isn't allowing the device to get that's needed.

A current trend is now having wireless network "guest areas" setup by default in routers so that when people come over they can connect to the internet without you giving your password out. They do limit internal networking functions. If this is on it can cause issues if the CCK is hitting that. If UPNP is on see what sessions are active. If there's an option of release or reset sessions on request do so.

Mostly if you get to the last step it's going to be finding out what software options exist and what is stopping it by default. Usually a quick google search will resolve this if you make your situation generic such as "New wireless device will connect to network but can't get to internet on WD 4300N".

I also didn't read if the OP had a WPS button or not and used that or if he manually inputted his settings.

In a nutshell at this point you either need to do 2 things with new routers. Leave them alone other than putting in a name and password for them or blast out every setting and set them up how you want them.

Oh also ask if there are kids or anyone in the house who like to download things a lot. If you have an avid torrent person they have probably setup rules in the router to streamline their setup for that and it can cause conflicts with other things.

Static IP's, Static port forwarding on a DHCP system without reservations can cause havoc if people aren't watching them and trying to setup new devices. Setting up a DMZ should really never be something that a home user wants to do unless they like to wear tinfoil hats as well. It can cause more issues than fix.

Edited by Shades228, 20 August 2012 - 04:00 PM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#223 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thanks Shades. Great step by step guide for troubleshooting steps.
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#224 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

I also didn't read if the OP had a WPA button or not and used that or if he manually inputted his settings.

He did but I didn't have him use it and followed my own "tried and true" steps to set it up.
A.K.A VOS

#225 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

I just gave myself a self-tutorial on my Cisco Valet M10 router. Went through each screen and setting one by one and looked at some of the help. Don't disable WMM on the router. I couldn't get back into mine until I did a reset and had to setup everything again. That was fun. :nono2:

#226 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

He did but I didn't have him use it and followed my own "tried and true" steps to set it up.

I've seen a couple of routers now where if you don't use WPS it doesn't give full function until you verify it in the router.

FYI I typed WPA when I meant WPS but thanks for using the intent.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#227 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

I just gave myself a self-tutorial on my Cisco Valet M10 router. Went through each screen and setting one by one and looked at some of the help. Don't disable WMM on the router. I couldn't get back into mine until I did a reset and had to setup everything again. That was fun. :nono2:

It's under application and gaming --> QOS

#228 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

I've seen a couple of routers now where if you don't use WPS it doesn't give full function until you verify it in the router.

FYI I typed WPA when I meant WPS but thanks for using the intent.

Well I sure haven't seem the vast majority of routers out there, "but" since the WCCK was intended to be setup from a DirecTV receiver, I don't get/see how if all the entries are correct and it links, why the router would not give internet access, "unless" as this comcrap has, a level of parental controls that need attention.
A.K.A VOS

#229 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

It's under application and gaming --> QOS

I know I found it. That's how I messed up my router.

#230 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Well I sure haven't seem the vast majority of routers out there, "but" since the WCCK was intended to be setup from a DirecTV receiver, I don't get/see how if all the entries are correct and it links, why the router would not give internet access, "unless" as this comcrap has, a level of parental controls that need attention.

It has a WPS button on it for that reason actually. The easiest, and preferred, method from a DIRECTV standpoint is to use that button. Then nothing has to be done from a settings standpoing 99.9% of the time.

The software in the receiver was designed for use with the wireless adapters that were built prior to the WPS. Either way can and should work.

Who knows what is going on inside that router which is stopping it. Unfortunately there are many scenarios and doing it over a forum is not very easy unless it's real time and then it's still not the best medium.

#231 OFFLINE   tomasmk2003

tomasmk2003

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Well I had direct tv try a few things with the modem. No luck so we fished some wires thru the attic and hard wired it. Nice thing tech ran them behind the wall so all wires are unseen. After looking at other forums as well just seems to gateway and cck just doesn't play nice together.

Reading one of the posts I did try the wps button as well. All in all the cck now works long as it's hard wired.

#232 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,626 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

Glad to hear it's done, now!

Curious: What IP and DNS show up in your System Info.?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#233 OFFLINE   BoostedBlazer

BoostedBlazer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

Hey guys, thought I would chime in on this one for ya for future reference. I work for DTV and just helped this customer of mine resolve this issue. The problem is the model of router you have from Comcast doesn't allow wireless bridge connections in default factory setup. You have to call Comcast and have them enable the setting to resolve this and it should work fine. However be advised if you ever do a full 20 second reset on the router you will need to contact them again to have the setting re-enabled. Hope this helps!
The views expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the views of any company aforementioned.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...