Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CCK can't connect to my comcast router

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

this might not be accurate because i cant explain it but... i see more success with connecting wifi when a wep key is used. this and the fact guys hook the ethernet into our newer dvrs and it disables the internal deca. ive found restoring reciever defaults in this situation fixes this.

We already ruled out any issues with encryption by trying an open connection.
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

what lights are on the cck-w. and is it giving you an 88-***? i could not get much help as tech support from comcast due to the fact they wanted to charge me for everything. the ports that need to be open are..... 8080......1701....8843. the apps use 1701 and that is what we use to ping directvs website in the connection process. have i missed where you are repeating restore network defaults? the broad band deca seems to have less a time with this.

At this point I would bet port forwarding would probably resolve the problem. I know I had to do it to get my Apps on the DVR to work. I had to use manual port settings in the DVR setup and port forward those ports on both my DSL modem/router and my Cisco router since I have them connected. I don't use the wireless on my DSL modem/router.
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

this might not be accurate because i cant explain it but... i see more success with connecting wifi when a wep key is used. this and the fact guys hook the ethernet into our newer dvrs and it disables the internal deca. ive found restoring reciever defaults in this situation fixes this.

yes, there are some installers who just don't get how things work [and don't].
WEP shouldn't be an issue, though these days, it's seen as no security, compared to the others.
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

At this point I would bet port forwarding would probably resolve the problem. I know I had to do it to get my Apps on the DVR to work. I had to use manual port settings in the DVR setup and port forward those ports on both my DSL modem/router and my Cisco router since I have them connected. I don't use the wireless on my DSL modem/router.

This tends to come down to the router and what ports the ISP open up on their end.
My 2Wire [AT&T] doesn't need anything opened, and TVApps work fine with network services reporting the <202> error.
This isn't always the case though.
Even AT&T needed to open a port on my router so I could access my old email server, so "nobody's perfect".
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   doolittle.dtv.iss

doolittle.dtv.iss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

yes i read that but we cant not use encription. it would kinda say its ok to steal your neighbors wifi. to me it sounds like the connection with the cck-w is not good. restoring defaults and connecting would generate a new ip address from the router. on the result page for connection. the is a number in ( ) either a 1,9,13, or a 22. that would tell what kind of a failure it is.
doolittle

#26 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

yes i read that but we cant not use encription. it would kinda say its ok to steal your neighbors wifi. to me it sounds like the connection with the cck-w is not good. restoring defaults and connecting would generate a new ip address from the router. on the result page for connection. the is a number in ( ) either a 1,9,13, or a 22. that would tell what kind of a failure it is.

Wasn't offering it as a solution, just tried it to see if the encryption was the problem, which it was not. Just ruling out pointless steps.

#27 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

The subcode could help determine what is happening... The OP left it vague saying the CCK-W 'will connect to the network'... Does that mean he is seeing Connected for the Internet status?

#28 OFFLINE   doolittle.dtv.iss

doolittle.dtv.iss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

ok. so opening these ports has to be the isp?
ive been looking for help with this. we no longer even refer people to thier isp because
there can be charges. and when a techs in a home i can only help him t/s so far without fear of damage to customers network thru error.
doolittle

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:35 PM

:confused: Most of us are using WPA2 at least.
I'm not sure the router will change IP address assignments until it's been rebooted as it keeps tract of the MAC address for each.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

ive been looking for help with this. we no longer even refer people to thier isp because
there can be charges. and when a techs in a home i can only help him t/s so far without fear of damage to customers network thru error.

No you just need to know what ports and type of port to open for the local IP. The port forwarding is done within your router settings. He could probably just go into Network Setup on the DVR and see what the ports are for Network Services, use Manual Settings and use those as both UDP/TCP port forwarding. I also have UDP Port 1701 in addition to the other two on my Cisco router. Not sure if that mattered but it didn't hurt anything. I labeled it DTV Apps so maybe it did matter, I don't honestly remember. I have DMZ disabled too so you may as well leave that alone. DMZ is a totally firewall free connection which is not good unless you absolutely need it.

Edited by banditt76, 19 August 2012 - 03:41 PM.
More technical info added.

#31 OFFLINE   doolittle.dtv.iss

doolittle.dtv.iss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

ok. but i dont get it. our ird will not even try to make a connection without some security. <could be wrong but thats what the notes say on it>
doolittle

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

Well, if you have access to the ports needed, you're a step ahead of us.
Every ISP may handle this differently.
It seems rare that a CCK and a WCCK wouldn't work the same. I've tested both before their release and haven't seen any problems.
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

ok. but i dont get it. our ird will not even try to make a connection without some security. <could be wrong but thats what the notes say on it>

The WCCK has an option for the security to be disabled, so it should run completely open [should you so want] if that's how you have your router configured.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   doolittle.dtv.iss

doolittle.dtv.iss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

oh i was not saying it would not work with wpa2 but for some reason comcast is hard for us to connect too. we all have to use a b-band deca. and thank yall for taking the time to help with this. i was told we use those 3 ports for all we use. but without making changes to the router our hand are tied and i wouyld love to be able to provide people with a solid solution to this.
doolittle

#35 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

I really wish they would have given me the WCCK so I could offer better help here as far as troubleshooting that device. Maybe I should call and ask for a replacement.

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

oh i was not saying it would not work with wpa2 but for some reason comcast is hard for us to connect too. we all have to use a b-band deca. and thank yall for taking the time to help with this. i was told we use those 3 ports for all we use. but without making changes to the router our hand are tied and i wouyld love to be able to provide people with a solid solution to this.

It's going to be tough to have a customer go into their router if they don't know what they're doing, and "we know" the techs aren't supposed to go there.
A.K.A VOS

#37 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

I wish there was reference material on what ISPs blocked what ports, I thought ISPs started leaving all ports open years ago...

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

I really wish they would have given me the WCCK so I could offer better help here as far as troubleshooting that device. Maybe I should call and ask for a replacement.

How many screen shots of the GUI do you want/need?
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

I wish there was reference material on what ISPs blocked what ports, I thought ISPs started leaving all ports open years ago...

This issue most likely has nothing to do with the ISP end. It is the router blocking the ports that need forwarding.

#40 OFFLINE   countrytime

countrytime

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

been reading all the posts and some of you are wrong. im an IT tech. i would like to get in on this form. what is the original problem

Protected By... spam firewall...And...