Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CCK can't connect to my comcast router

• Please log in to reply
232 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

oh i was not saying it would not work with wpa2 but for some reason comcast is hard for us to connect too. we all have to use a b-band deca. and thank yall for taking the time to help with this. i was told we use those 3 ports for all we use. but without making changes to the router our hand are tied and i wouyld love to be able to provide people with a solid solution to this.

There are a number of routers that just don't play nice with the WCCK, 2Wires from AT&T and CenturyTel come to mind. I hope they work this out, 'get a new router and keep the reciept just in case' is not a customer friendly resolution!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

been reading all the posts and some of you are wrong. im an IT tech. i would like to get in on this form. what is the original problem

What is wrong exactly? I don't have a WCCK so I can't help much with it. As far as router brand that is exactly why I went with Cisco. I knew it would be the most compliant and have virtually every option available to me. It's even the cheapo $80 Cisco Valet.
LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#43 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

This issue most likely has nothing to do with the ISP end. It is the router blocking the ports that need forwarding.

Why is the router blocking ports on wireless connections and not wired? The OP said everything worked when connected via ethernet cable. Seems like the router should treat wired and wireless clients the same way in that respect...

#44 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

There are a number of routers that just don't play nice with the WCCK, 2Wires from AT&T and CenturyTel come to mind. I hope they work this out, 'get a new router and keep the reciept just in case' is not a customer friendly resolution!

2Wire from AT&T shouldn't be on your list. It was used during field testing and the firmware was written so it would work with the 2Wire. Oh by the way, that is exactly what I've been using with the WCCK for several years with zero problems.
A.K.A VOS

#45 OFFLINE   doolittle.dtv.iss

doolittle.dtv.iss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

i hope my wired and wireless are not. think about it like this. wireless signal to your network can be accessed outside your home. wired well it would not be as easy.
doolittle

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Why is the router blocking ports on wireless connections and not wired?

That doesn't makes any sense to me too.
A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Why is the router blocking ports on wireless connections and not wired? The OP said everything worked when connected via ethernet cable. Seems like the router should treat wired and wireless clients the same way in that respect...

Ok well I keep thinking of my setup which is not wireless. It's possible it has different ports blocked for wired vs wireless do to security concerns. So maybe using DMZ is the way to go.

I also just called DirecTV and asked about wired vs wireless CCK and he said the preferred option is wired for a more stable connection. I really wish I had a WCCK though so I could be more help.

I'm still a rookie at port forwarding on DTV systems so I'm learning along here too on some stuff.

Actually the only thing I have ever had to port forward on is a DirecTV DVR for the TV Apps.

Edited by banditt76, 19 August 2012 - 04:07 PM.

LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#48 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Ok well I keep thinking of my setup which is not wireless. It's possible it has different ports blocked for wired vs wireless do to security concerns. So maybe using DMZ is the way to go.

I also just called DirecTV and asked about wired vs wireless CCK and he said the preferred option is wired for a more stable connection. I really wish I had a WCCK though so I could be more help.

Check online in your account for a self installed CCK. They used to be about $25.
A.K.A VOS

#49 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Check online in your account for a self installed CCK. They used to be about $25.

I'm not paying for something I don't need and is less stable anyway. If they want to give me one for free I'll take it, but not otherwise.

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'm not paying for something I don't need and is less stable anyway. If they want to give me one for free I'll take it, but not otherwise.

I get the paying part, but since I have a WCCK, I don't the "less stable" part.
A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   doolittle.dtv.iss

doolittle.dtv.iss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

so would this not be this issue? http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=160811
doolittle

#52 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

2Wire from AT&T shouldn't be on your list. It was used during field testing and the firmware was written so it would work with the 2Wire. Oh by the way, that is exactly what I've been using with the WCCK for several years with zero problems.

The 2Wire 310 and 2701HG-D are listed as possibly problematic. Which gateway are you using out of curiosity?

#53 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Wireless dropouts and such. And also interference with my Cisco router. Lack of range probably on some receivers depending on distance from the WCCK.

These were all points brought up by the guy I just talked to at DirecTV.

#54 OFFLINE   doolittle.dtv.iss

doolittle.dtv.iss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

its not unstable. ports 1701, 8080, and8843 have to be open for inbound and outbound traffic. i assume we use these ports due to the amount of traffic we create. and other than 1701 the other 2 are not as commonly open
doolittle

#55 OFFLINE   countrytime

countrytime

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

ok so i have 4 receivers. 2 stay connected all the time and 2 drop out constantly from connecting? why? and giving error 86-*** with (22)

#56 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Thats what I'm trying to figure out here. Do the TV Apps work for the OP on his DVR?

#57 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

'Less stable' is simplified way of saying 'It may not work with your setup, depending on your router' methinks.

#58 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:11 PM

The stability issue is in terms of wireless signal quality and range, not the actual device itself.

#59 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

After 3 years, I'm not sure how much is still relevant.

I keep both my receivers and router is defaults, and everything here works fine. This is sort of why I question a complaint about 2Wire.
ZERO ports forward, and DHCP for everything.
Network services never have anything but the <202> error, and in fact that means things are working.

Someone else with another type of router, may need to do some of those [these] things, so it's a YMMV.
A.K.A VOS

#60 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

ok so i have 4 receivers. 2 stay connected all the time and 2 drop out constantly from connecting? why? and giving error 86-*** with (22)

Maybe you should start a new thread for your issue? 22 subcode is a DNS error FWIW...

spam firewall