Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No HDMI cables for premium channels.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bamahd

bamahd

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

I'm now getting this message when trying to access DirecTV's premium channels:
YOU'RE TV DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM'S CONTENT PROTECTION. REPLACING THE TV'S HDMI CABLES WITH COMPONENT CABLES WILL ALLOW YOU TO VIEW THIS PROGRAM.
DIRECTV says that this is the premium channels and not DirecTV. The premiums are doing this to prevent illegal recordings. Basically the premiums think that your set is in essence a computer and the older tv's are not equipped to tell the premiums otherwise.
DirecTV's answer was for me to either buy a new HDTV or they will send me component cables. HDMI is the most efficient way to view high definition television and I am screwed. I use HDMI cables for entire system. IS THERE A WORK AROUND FOR THIS RIDICULOUS PROBLEM? Am I the only one receiving this message?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kaiser Bob

Kaiser Bob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

It means either the HDMI port on your TV is not HDCP compliant or maybe a bad HDMI cable, so yes the workaround is component cables...
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

Please describe your hookups and the make/model of the devices connected to your Directv receiver.

Example: HR20 connected via HDMI to Denon AVR-2809CI then HDMI to Sony KDS-60A3000.
If you have your dvr/receiver attached by other cables as well please describe that hookup as well.

#4 OFFLINE   Git

Git

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

We just had new equipment installed and now we are receiving an error message when trying to record some simple shows like Master Chef and Suits....

"The program may not record because this receiver is not currently authorized for it"

I called DTV and was told the same thing - switch to component cables that they will send me.... Sounds kind of lame, I would prefer to stay with HDMI

Our old equipment recorded just fine. I had an HR22-100 and then a HR23-700 connected to a Sony KDL-52NX800 . The TV is about 2 years old.

So the only thing that has changed is the new HR24-500. I even went back to the old HDMI cable - and still receive the error

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

We just had new equipment installed and now we are receiving an error message when trying to record some simple shows like Master Chef and Suits....

"The program may not record because this receiver is not currently authorized for it"

I called DTV and was told the same thing - switch to component cables that they will send me.... Sounds kind of lame, I would prefer to stay with HDMI

Our old equipment recorded just fine. I had an HR22-100 and then a HR23-700 connected to a Sony KDL-52NX800 . The TV is about 2 years old.

So the only thing that has changed is the new HR24-500. I even went back to the old HDMI cable - and still receive the error

There is an updated software for your TV that might fix the problem. It is dated July 2012.
Link:
http://esupport.sony...&mdl=KDL52NX800

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   Git

Git

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the help

I checked my firmware but it does not need updating. The TV is connected to the internet and auto updates are on

The only thing that changed is the new receiver...

#7 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

YOU'RE TV DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM'S CONTENT PROTECTION. REPLACING THE TV'S HDMI CABLES WITH COMPONENT CABLES WILL ALLOW YOU TO VIEW THIS PROGRAM.
DIRECTV says that this is the premium channels and not DirecTV. The premiums are doing this to prevent illegal recordings. Basically the premiums think that your set is in essence a computer and the older tv's are not equipped to tell the premiums otherwise.
DirecTV's answer was for me to either buy a new HDTV or they will send me component cables. HDMI is the most efficient way to view high definition television and I am screwed. I use HDMI cables for entire system. IS THERE A WORK AROUND FOR THIS RIDICULOUS PROBLEM? Am I the only one receiving this message?

How old/what make and model is your tv? If you're concerned about having the best possible picture, why not upgrade your old set?
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for the help

I checked my firmware but it does not need updating. The TV is connected to the internet and auto updates are on

The only thing that changed is the new receiver...

I have been thru all the literature that I can find online, manual, marketing sheet, etc. and it does not say it is HDCP capable that I can find. I could have missed it.

Maybe give Sony a call and ask them about it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

I have been running my HR23 on Component cables for months to avoid all the problems of the HDMI handshake. It works flawless. There is no difference in the quality of the picture.

#10 OFFLINE   Git

Git

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

Well, my TV is only 2 years old and I thought it was one of the better quality Sony products??

KDL-52NX800

1080p LCD with edge LED
240hz Motionflow

Why would it work with the HR23-700 and not the HR24?

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

Well, my TV is only 2 years old and I thought it was one of the better quality Sony products??

KDL-52NX800

1080p LCD with edge LED
240hz Motionflow

I agree and I could have missed it.
I did a search using the feature in the pdf files and it never showed.

#12 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 918 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

KDL-52NX800

1080p LCD with edge LED
240hz Motionflow

Why would it work with the HR23-700 and not the HR24?

The problem you are having has nothing to do with HDMI. It is not the same problem the OP is having. The problem you are having has to do with the new DVR when it was activated it didnt authorize everything properly you most likely just need to have authorizations sent to the reveiver.

#13 OFFLINE   Git

Git

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

I have been thru all the literature that I can find online, manual, marketing sheet, etc. and it does not say it is HDCP capable that I can find. I could have missed it.

Maybe give Sony a call and ask them about it.

Sorry, first I heard of "HDCP". I did in fact call Sony and they confirmed that this TV is not HDCP capable - so I guess that is the problem. You would think a 2 year old TV would be ok since this standard was supposed to go into effect in 2005

I found a pretty good web page that explains the problem, sorry it is Dish

https://support.dish...php?f=18&t=1372

edit - now I don't know what to think. I have found several reviews that indicate this set IS HDCP capable....
We are having a HR25 receiver changed out for a HD DVR on Friday, I will ask the Tech when he comes to look into it...

Edited by Git, 29 August 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,175 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

Note to all;

For cases where a TV set is supposed to be HDCP compatible, yet is still displaying the message, your best option is the use the powered HDMI splitter here;

http://www.monoprice...format=2&ref=cj
Which unlike many splitters not merely passes along the HDCP handshake to the client (the TV set in this case) and vice-versa, but actively produces it to the DIRECTV receiver instead of the client.

This worked and eliminated the nag message for others with this problem.

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

If, at some point in the future, the analog loophole closes, all outputs will go dark (mute). This is one of two options for presenting HDCP protected content in a system that fails the handshake. Reportedly both DIRECTV and DISH opted for this approach.

The other option is the video is downconverted to SD and the audio to simple stereo.

Early adopters of the HR20 experienced this when some of the content was incorrectly tagged (or the tag was incorrectly interpreted).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:25 PM

Sorry whoever you talked to at Sony was wrong. If you TV has an HDMI port then it is HDCP compatible. HDCP is built into HDMI, it was only optional on DVI. The only way you might have a device with an HDMI port that isn't HDCP compatible is if it was some rinky dink little company that didn't get their HDMI ports certified, and therefore shouldn't be calling them HDMI ports, or it's a device that purposely left HDCP out to get around copy protection, and those are technically illegal to use and import to the USA as far as I know.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#17 OFFLINE   Git

Git

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

Beerstalker - if that is the case, then what is my problem?

I called up DTV the first night, thinking that they needed to authorize something on my receivers and that is when they told me that I needed to use the component cables instead of HDMI. I did a quick search on the internet about the problem and saw a couple of posts where it looked like I just needed to wait a day or two to let the receiver pull down all the guide info, etc - which sounded reasonable.

It has now been 3 days since the install and I am still getting the error message

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:52 PM

If you TV has an HDMI port then it is HDCP compatible.

While HDMI inclusion requires HDCP support, Sony and especially Samsung had a enormous amount of trouble getting it right early on. HDCP is relatively straightforward technically (it involves adding a series numbers together) so it probably came down to an issue of responding too slowly to the handshake requests.

Fie on HDMI Licensing, LLC for not requiring more rigorous qualification. As it turns out, HDMI only requires the first device of its kind from each manufacturer to be independently tested for compliance so once a manufacturer passes their first TV/Blu-ray player/AVR/DVR, they no longer have to submit that type of device for independent testing.

Next to the utterly feeble connector designs, HDCP handshake problems have been one of the biggest failures of the HDMI standard.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

It has now been 3 days since the install and I am still getting the error message

It seems there's a good chance that the DVR doesn't think you subscribe to those channels. The DIRECTV blather about HDCP handshaking was probably a red herring.

Do you know how to authorize the receiver from your DIRECTV online account?

#20 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

Beerstalker - if that is the case, then what is my problem?

I called up DTV the first night, thinking that they needed to authorize something on my receivers and that is when they told me that I needed to use the component cables instead of HDMI. I did a quick search on the internet about the problem and saw a couple of posts where it looked like I just needed to wait a day or two to let the receiver pull down all the guide info, etc - which sounded reasonable.

If that TV was working with the HR23 it should work with the HR24. There is a good possibility that it is the connection in the back of the HR24. Have you tried a red button reset next to the smart card ? It solves a lot of problems sometimes.
Get the tech to check that while he is there.

Also, if you have another TV that is working fine, if it is not too much trouble, hook it up to the HR24 and see if it works.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...