Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No HDMI cables for premium channels.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bamahd

bamahd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

I have an LG. I need the HDMI for the picture quality and because I have an HR34, which doesn't have the optical 5.1. The HDMI is the best way to get the 5.1 Dolby Digital into my Yamaha receiver.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Sorry, first I heard of "HDCP". I did in fact call Sony and they confirmed that this TV is not HDCP capable - so I guess that is the problem. You would think a 2 year old TV would be ok since this standard was supposed to go into effect in 2005

I found a pretty good web page that explains the problem, sorry it is Dish

https://support.dish...php?f=18&t=1372

edit - now I don't know what to think. I have found several reviews that indicate this set IS HDCP capable....
We are having a HR25 receiver changed out for a HD DVR on Friday, I will ask the Tech when he comes to look into it...

Beerstalker - if that is the case, then what is my problem?

I called up DTV the first night, thinking that they needed to authorize something on my receivers and that is when they told me that I needed to use the component cables instead of HDMI. I did a quick search on the internet about the problem and saw a couple of posts where it looked like I just needed to wait a day or two to let the receiver pull down all the guide info, etc - which sounded reasonable.

It has now been 3 days since the install and I am still getting the error message

If that TV was working with the HR23 it should work with the HR24. There is a good possibility that it is the connection in the back of the HR24. Have you tried a red button reset next to the smart card ? It solves a lot of problems sometimes.
Get the tech to check that while he is there.

Also, if you have another TV that is working fine, if it is not too much trouble, hook it up to the HR24 and see if it works.

Guys, this person answered correctly. Your issue has nothing to do with HDCP or the OP's issue...

The problem you are having has nothing to do with HDMI. It is not the same problem the OP is having. The problem you are having has to do with the new DVR when it was activated it didnt authorize everything properly you most likely just need to have authorizations sent to the reveiver.

#23 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:22 PM

I have an LG. I need the HDMI for the picture quality and because I have an HR34, which doesn't have the optical 5.1. The HDMI is the best way to get the 5.1 Dolby Digital into my Yamaha receiver.

First thing to do is run your hdmi cable strait from the hr34 to the tv, and see if it works properly that way. It could be your Yamaha is causing the issue.

What model number is your Yamaha? And model number of the tv?

And by the way, the hr34 does have 5.1 out, its coax instead of optical, which is actually better usually.

#24 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

. HDMI is the most efficient way to view high definition television and I am screwed.

Define efficent. Are you talking about cable management?

Edited by inf0z, 29 August 2012 - 10:43 PM.

#25 OFFLINE   humanjas

humanjas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

I was having the same problem so I called tech support. They are aware of the problem and offered a work around.

The fix is to hold the exit button until the message disappears. A message appears that says "your program is now in sd"... Well, it really isnt, but that is the workaround until the problem is fixed.

Hope this helps.

#26 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

I was having the same problem so I called tech support. They are aware of the problem and offered a work around.

The fix is to hold the exit button until the message disappears. A message appears that says "your program is now in sd"... Well, it really isnt, but that is the workaround until the problem is fixed.

Hope this helps.

It certainly is.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#27 OFFLINE   bamahd

bamahd

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

The message has gone away and all of the HBO's are working fine. Hopefully someone came to their senses and sent an overnight update. Thanks guys for all of the opinions, they were greatly appreciated.

#28 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,923 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

The message has gone away and all of the HBO's are working fine. Hopefully someone came to their senses and sent an overnight update. Thanks guys for all of the opinions, they were greatly appreciated.

Glad to see it worked out for you;

Unfortunately this "work-a-around" does nothing for my allegedly HDCP compliant 24" Sammy T240HD on HDMI (mfd. '08) :(

Holding down the EXIT button simply converts the blank screen with the irritating HDCP message from an HD version to a 480p SD version of it.

Oh well, back to component again ... :rolleyes:

#29 OFFLINE   LaFong

LaFong

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Note to all;

For cases where a TV set is supposed to be HDCP compatible, yet is still displaying the message, your best option is the use the powered HDMI splitter here;
~~~~~
Which unlike many splitters not merely passes along the HDCP handshake to the client (the TV set in this case) and vice-versa, but actively produces it to the DIRECTV receiver instead of the client.

This worked and eliminated the nag message for others with this problem.

Unfortunately, this splitter may require that both TV's be turned on, according to a customer review (and Monoprice)

Both must be on
Cons: Requires both output HDMI connections to be powered on.

I couldn't make this work unless the televisions on both outputs are on. One was connected via a Monoprice Cat6 to HDMI and the other was direct by HDMI. I contacted technical support and was informed that that is the way the Monoprice 1 X 2 Splitters work both outputs must be turned on. They stated that instead I should use the Monoprice 1 X 4 splitter if there is a possibility that only one will be used at a time. That seemed really odd, but sure enough, I returned this unit and replaced with a 1X4 that works perfect when only one is on. This should restriction (that both should Televisions on the output must be powered on) be stated in the description. **

I am only using the splitter to eliminate the HDCP nag. I only attach to one of the splitter outputs. I have the pigtail Monoprice splitter, which works but is very flaky. I'm going to give the Monoprice 1x4 a try.

#30 OFFLINE   b00bie

b00bie

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

I have an HR21-700 hooked up to a Mits 73838 via COMPONENT cable but when I try to watch the Encore channels I get the replace the HDMI cable message. I have rebooted the receiver and even reset the TV. Do you think I should try a reauthorization. :confused:

#31 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

I have an HR21-700 hooked up to a Mits 73838 via COMPONENT cable but when I try to watch the Encore channels I get the replace the HDMI cable message. I have rebooted the receiver and even reset the TV. Do you think I should try a reauthorization. :confused:

If you have the HDMI and the Component from the DTV receiver to the TV / AV unit it will give you this message. Remove the HDMI from the DTV receiver and it should work.
If both of the cables are not hooked up, this is irrelevant.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#32 OFFLINE   b00bie

b00bie

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

If you have the HDMI and the Component from the DTV receiver to the TV / AV unit it will give you this message. Remove the HDMI from the DTV receiver and it should work.
If both of the cables are not hooked up, this is irrelevant.

No HDMI on the receiver at all but thanks for the reply

#33 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

I just checked and only 535 is HD in Encore.
Is this happening on other Encore channels or just this one ?

There appears to be a software upgrade for your TV here:
http://www.mitsubish...uments/WD-73838

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#34 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

I get that ignoring screen every so often, but may once every 2 months, not much. But it goes away after a minute My whole house is wired to http://www.smarthome...F7-ECCC3684C4DC

It allows me Sat TV my DVD and what ever else i want to all my TV's and with Directv and the RF remote i dont have to pay Directv extortion fee's to watch my DVR in other rooms :mad:

#35 OFFLINE   b00bie

b00bie

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:08 PM

I just checked and only 535 is HD in Encore.
Is this happening on other Encore channels or just this one ?

There appears to be a software upgrade for your TV here:
http://www.mitsubish...uments/WD-73838

It's all the Encore channels not just 535, and I am already on S/W 12.08 on the Mits

#36 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,207 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

It's all the Encore channels not just 535, and I am already on S/W 12.08 on the Mits

I just switched my Favorites so I could see the SD channels and viewed all of the Encore channels using an HDMI cable direct to the TV from the DTV receiver without any problem or message.

You don't mention an AV receiver. Are the component cables going to an AV receiver first or directly to the TV ?
If you are connected to an AV with the component cables, you might try to bypass the AV with the RED BLUE and GREEN cables for the video and see if that helps.

If not,
Maybe you should start a new thread about this problem and lets see if others have / had it and what to do about it.

#37 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

I've noticed this a few times recently, but only investigated fully earlier today.

I have a HR23 connected to a Sony 40" HDTV via HDMI cables. The Sony is 1.5 years old. I have no problem watching HBO on the Sony.

Before I had the HR23, there was an R10 in its place, and the coax output from the R10 was sent into the house wiring to 2 other SD TV's in other locations in the house. When the HR23 came, I got an RF modulator to do this. Composite on the HR23 into the modulator. When the HD UI came out, I got a Component to Composite converter, and so the Component cables go to the converter, composite to the modulator, and then the coax to the other rooms in the house.

So, I noticed the "can't watch this channel with HDMI cables, switch to component cables" on one of the remote TV's - a pretty old back-projection Sony. I ran to the other remote TV (an 8-year old Panasonic) - it was showing the HBO program from the HR23. I checked the Sony HDTV connected with HDMI cables, and it was also showing the program fine. Back at the first TV, the "HDMI" error was still showing.

I went to a local channel, and picture returned on the old Sony. I then went into the recorded programs list, found a HBO program, and started playing it. The UI showed fine all the way until I hit the "play" button, then the screen went blank and the "HDMI" error came up. The recorded program was showing fine on the HD Sony and the Panasonic.

So, can anyone explain this? I thought the component-composite converter and the modulator both just blindly showed whatever was coming out the receiver - which in my case should be exactly what I see on the HD Sony (as it handles the HBO programs via HDMI OK). I can't believe there's any communication to the HR23 from the remote TV's - via 60 foot of coax and a modulator and converter. I also can't believe therefore that the program would show fine on one old TV, but not the other. Surely I should at least see the same on both old TVs? Of course, the final irony is the message tells me to use Component cables - which is what I'm using already to feed the modulator!

Its not the end of the world, as the old Sony has a R10 on it also, where HBO works fine. (The Panasonic relies solely on the coax feed from the HR23) I'm just stumped by what is going on here.

#38 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

It is likely because you have an HDMI device hooked up that the component outputs are showing an error. HBO content is HDCP protected and the way that DIRECTV chose to implement it, having an HDCP handshake on one device shuts off the analog connections.

This is absolutely not one of the options for implementing HDCP but that didn't stop DIRECTV. The two choices available (when the content is protected) are to blank the analog ports or downconvert the audio and video coming from the analog ports.

DIRECTV seems to have created their own "option" of permitting analog passing of full resolution protected content if there weren't any HDCP capable devices connected.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#39 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

I've noticed this a few times recently, but only investigated fully earlier today.

I have a HR23 connected to a Sony 40" HDTV via HDMI cables. The Sony is 1.5 years old. I have no problem watching HBO on the Sony.

Before I had the HR23, there was an R10 in its place, and the coax output from the R10 was sent into the house wiring to 2 other SD TV's in other locations in the house. When the HR23 came, I got an RF modulator to do this. Composite on the HR23 into the modulator. When the HD UI came out, I got a Component to Composite converter, and so the Component cables go to the converter, composite to the modulator, and then the coax to the other rooms in the house.

So, I noticed the "can't watch this channel with HDMI cables, switch to component cables" on one of the remote TV's - a pretty old back-projection Sony. I ran to the other remote TV (an 8-year old Panasonic) - it was showing the HBO program from the HR23. I checked the Sony HDTV connected with HDMI cables, and it was also showing the program fine. Back at the first TV, the "HDMI" error was still showing.

I went to a local channel, and picture returned on the old Sony. I then went into the recorded programs list, found a HBO program, and started playing it. The UI showed fine all the way until I hit the "play" button, then the screen went blank and the "HDMI" error came up. The recorded program was showing fine on the HD Sony and the Panasonic.

So, can anyone explain this? I thought the component-composite converter and the modulator both just blindly showed whatever was coming out the receiver - which in my case should be exactly what I see on the HD Sony (as it handles the HBO programs via HDMI OK). I can't believe there's any communication to the HR23 from the remote TV's - via 60 foot of coax and a modulator and converter. I also can't believe therefore that the program would show fine on one old TV, but not the other. Surely I should at least see the same on both old TVs? Of course, the final irony is the message tells me to use Component cables - which is what I'm using already to feed the modulator!

Its not the end of the world, as the old Sony has a R10 on it also, where HBO works fine. (The Panasonic relies solely on the coax feed from the HR23) I'm just stumped by what is going on here.

As someone who has dtv and has seen the issue you are talking about I can lend you some guidance. It seems that if hdmi is connected but the tv using hdmi is tuned off when you fire up the hr your screwed trying to watch hdcp content. It seems it knows its connected to a hdmi tv but since the tv is off and it cant confirm hdcp compliance it assumes its not and it seems like it will not adjust that finding till you turn the unit off and then back on again.

I suggest you try this. Turn on the hdmi tv. Then turn on the hr. then turn on the other tvs and see what happens with the hbo content. My guess is it will now work fine and you can even likely turn off the hdmi connected tv at that point as well.

This is what I figured out I had to do to make this work for me, as I had the same issues.

#40 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

It is likely because you have an HDMI device hooked up that the component outputs are showing an error. HBO content is HDCP protected and the way that DIRECTV chose to implement it, having an HDCP handshake on one device shuts off the analog connections.

This is absolutely not one of the options for implementing HDCP but that didn't stop DIRECTV. The two choices available (when the content is protected) are to blank the analog ports or downconvert the audio and video coming from the analog ports.

DIRECTV seems to have created their own "option" of permitting analog passing of full resolution protected content if there weren't any HDCP capable devices connected.

You'd be wrong. And you'd know that If you had dtv equipment and have tried this setup yourself.

spam firewall