Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No HDMI cables for premium channels.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

It is likely because you have an HDMI device hooked up that the component outputs are showing an error. HBO content is HDCP protected and the way that DIRECTV chose to implement it, having an HDCP handshake on one device shuts off the analog connections.

This is absolutely not one of the options for implementing HDCP but that didn't stop DIRECTV. The two choices available (when the content is protected) are to blank the analog ports or downconvert the audio and video coming from the analog ports.

DIRECTV seems to have created their own "option" of permitting analog passing of full resolution protected content if there weren't any HDCP capable devices connected.

Thanks - that explains 90% of the issue. I'll check this out when I next get a chance - probably not before next weekend. If I pull the HDMI cable out of the Sony HDTV, presumably the picture should re-appear on the old Sony fed by the modulator/coax.

The only thing I'm still at a loss to understand is why (when the HDTV is plugged in with its HDMI cable) the old Panasonic still shows the HBO programming, while the old Sony doesn't. The HR23 -> component cables -> component/composite converter -> composite cable -> RF modulator -> coax -> splitter in the home-run chain feeds both old TV's. Surely both TV's running off the coax should show the same thing?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Sorry Kahauts. I have a HDMI TV in my Family room and a reg. TV in my Kitchen that runs off of my Cable RF modulator that rebroadcast that picture over Cable. And when i have my Receiver set to 1080i I can see the movie on both TV's. Perfect even tho its only 480 in the kitchen TV is only 10" old tube type ! The stupid **** DTV did with ther patch was when I use the Kitchen Remote to change or view channels THE STUPID Screen says Wrong Format Hold the Exit key to change ! WHY ??????? The TV is viewing perfect ! And I look out at the HDMI TV and the screen doesnt show that. Soooo pissed Why do they care ! The only thought i have is they want another 6 bucks for another reciever !

And you cant change it back by remote ! I have to go to the basement and use the button on the receiver and push it back to 1080 ! :mad::mad::mad:

#43 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,892 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Sorry Kahauts. I have a HDMI TV in my Family room and a reg. TV in my Kitchen that runs off of my Cable RF modulator that rebroadcast that picture over Cable. And when i have my Receiver set to 1080i I can see the movie on both TV's. Perfect even tho its only 480 in the kitchen TV is only 10" old tube type ! The stupid **** DTV did with ther patch was when I use the Kitchen Remote to change or view channels THE STUPID Screen says Wrong Format Hold the Exit key to change ! WHY ??????? The TV is viewing perfect ! And I look out at the HDMI TV and the screen doesnt show that. Soooo pissed Why do they care ! The only thought i have is they want another 6 bucks for another reciever !

And you cant change it back by remote ! I have to go to the basement and use the button on the receiver and push it back to 1080 ! :mad::mad::mad:

Only DIRECTV STB Engineering would know for sure;

However, one very plausible explanation I've always liked is located here;

http://www.dbstalk.c...066#post3014066

#44 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Only DIRECTV STB Engineering would know for sure;

However, one very plausible explanation I've always liked is located here;

http://www.dbstalk.c...066#post3014066

Thanks for the link ! It was a good read !

#45 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Thanks - that explains 90% of the issue. I'll check this out when I next get a chance - probably not before next weekend. If I pull the HDMI cable out of the Sony HDTV, presumably the picture should re-appear on the old Sony fed by the modulator/coax.

The only thing I'm still at a loss to understand is why (when the HDTV is plugged in with its HDMI cable) the old Panasonic still shows the HBO programming, while the old Sony doesn't. The HR23 -> component cables -> component/composite converter -> composite cable -> RF modulator -> coax -> splitter in the home-run chain feeds both old TV's. Surely both TV's running off the coax should show the same thing?

No he explains nothing. Read my post. He doesn't have dtv and has never played with these boxes and sen what they actually do. He's simply wrong.

#46 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

That's an entirely different issue. You can get around that by using component outputs instead of composite and getting a converter to rf from component. Try mono price.

Completely different form what I was responding too.

#47 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

That's an entirely different issue. You can get around that by using component outputs instead of composite and getting a converter to rf from component. Try mono price.

Completely different form what I was responding too.

Found this one http://sewelldirect....3572d3232333039

#48 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

No he explains nothing. Read my post. He doesn't have dtv and has never played with these boxes and seen what they actually do. He's simply wrong.

Thanks - I wrote my previous post without refreshing the page, so hadn't seen your response to my original post at that time. I'll do some more exploring on this over the weekend. The order of turning on the HR23 and HDMI-connected TV could become a pain - but a solution.

The one thing I still don't understand is why one remote coax-connected TV shows the HBO programming from the HR23, while the second remote coax-connected TV doesn't. Surely what goes thru the modulator and along the coax to the two remote TV's is determined before the signal leaves the component-out ports on the HR23 (based on HDMI connection, HDMI-connected TV on/off, etc) and has nothing to do with the old CRT TV at the other end of the coax line. Surely both remote TV's should show the same thing - whether its the annoying message, or the programming??

#49 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:33 PM

Thanks - I wrote my previous post without refreshing the page, so hadn't seen your response to my original post at that time. I'll do some more exploring on this over the weekend. The order of turning on the HR23 and HDMI-connected TV could become a pain - but a solution.

The one thing I still don't understand is why one remote coax-connected TV shows the HBO programming from the HR23, while the second remote coax-connected TV doesn't. Surely what goes thru the modulator and along the coax to the two remote TV's is determined before the signal leaves the component-out ports on the HR23 (based on HDMI connection, HDMI-connected TV on/off, etc) and has nothing to do with the old CRT TV at the other end of the coax line. Surely both remote TV's should show the same thing - whether its the annoying message, or the programming??

Are you saying that two tvs have different signals when they are both on and receiving a signal via coax that was split from your rf converter?

#50 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

Are you saying that two tvs have different signals when they are both on and receiving a signal via coax that was split from your rf converter?

Yes.

One HR23, one RF modulator, coax and a splitter, feeding two remote TVs

One remote TV showed the HDMI-protected-content error message, the other showed the HBO programming as normal.

At least that's how it looked last weekend. I'll look into it more this weekend.

#51 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

As someone who has dtv and has seen the issue you are talking about I can lend you some guidance. It seems that if hdmi is connected but the tv using hdmi is tuned off when you fire up the hr your screwed trying to watch hdcp content. It seems it knows its connected to a hdmi tv but since the tv is off and it cant confirm hdcp compliance it assumes its not and it seems like it will not adjust that finding till you turn the unit off and then back on again.

I suggest you try this. Turn on the hdmi tv. Then turn on the hr. then turn on the other tvs and see what happens with the hbo content. My guess is it will now work fine and you can even likely turn off the hdmi connected tv at that point as well.

OK - I've had some time to look at this again. Walking up and down three flights of stairs gets old after a while!

It seems having the HDMI-connected TV switched on is the key. It didn't matter if I switched the TV on before the HR, or after the HR. If the HDMI-connected TV was switched on while the HR was showing HBO content, the remote TV's would also show the HBO content. If the HDMI-connected TV was switched off, the content protection message came up on the remote TV's within a few seconds.

At no stage did I get one remote TV showing the content-protected message, and the other showing the programming. I'm not sure how that happened two weeks back - maybe it was early in the morning and I mis-saw things, but at least all the remote TV's showed the same thing at the same time today.

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:34 AM

OK - I've had some time to look at this again. Walking up and down three flights of stairs gets old after a while!

It seems having the HDMI-connected TV switched on is the key. It didn't matter if I switched the TV on before the HR, or after the HR. If the HDMI-connected TV was switched on while the HR was showing HBO content, the remote TV's would also show the HBO content. If the HDMI-connected TV was switched off, the content protection message came up on the remote TV's within a few seconds.

At no stage did I get one remote TV showing the content-protected message, and the other showing the programming. I'm not sure how that happened two weeks back - maybe it was early in the morning and I mis-saw things, but at least all the remote TV's showed the same thing at the same time today.

Well, now you know the work around for your issue!

#53 OFFLINE   Igmond

Igmond

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

I'm now getting this message when trying to access DirecTV's premium channels:
YOU'RE TV DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM'S CONTENT PROTECTION. REPLACING THE TV'S HDMI CABLES WITH COMPONENT CABLES WILL ALLOW YOU TO VIEW THIS PROGRAM.
DIRECTV says that this is the premium channels and not DirecTV. The premiums are doing this to prevent illegal recordings. Basically the premiums think that your set is in essence a computer and the older tv's are not equipped to tell the premiums otherwise.
DirecTV's answer was for me to either buy a new HDTV or they will send me component cables. HDMI is the most efficient way to view high definition television and I am screwed. I use HDMI cables for entire system. IS THERE A WORK AROUND FOR THIS RIDICULOUS PROBLEM? Am I the only one receiving this message?

I get this message on a second TV I have connected to the DVR via component. I have my primary TV connected via HDMI and it plays the movies fine, but the second TV which uses component from the same DVR can't play movies recorded from the pay channels. Not a huge deal in my situation, but it seems like a waste of resources to put this level of DRM on shows already on the DVR. Update - Just saw the more recent post about turning on the HDMI TV first, will try that. Thanks!

#54 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

I get this message on a second TV I have connected to the DVR via component. I have my primary TV connected via HDMI and it plays the movies fine, but the second TV which uses component from the same DVR can't play movies recorded from the pay channels. Not a huge deal in my situation, but it seems like a waste of resources to put this level of DRM on shows already on the DVR. Update - Just saw the more recent post about turning on the HDMI TV first, will try that. Thanks!

Did you read my posts? If that both tvs on, it should work. The problem is when your hdmi TV is off, your unit thinks the hdmi is plugged into a non compliant device because it can't handshake. You can get it to work, you just need both tvs on.

#55 OFFLINE   rwmair

rwmair

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Well, now you know the work around for your issue!

Thanks for the suggestion. Its not a big issue, but nice to know it can be solved easily, in an albeit cryptic way!

#56 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

I have been down this road before. Ran into the HDCP problem and switch every thing over to HDMI and replaced a non 3d set with one that is 3d so everything talks with each other. We have a system in the back part of home that has 3 led sets on 2 directv dvr's with both HDMI and component cable in the walls. Do not want to replace this so my work around is some component splitters & a Monoprice ID # 5971 HDC-320 YPbPr component + digital audio to hdmi converter and pulling the HDMI off the Directv DVR & using it on the Monoprice converter.
We have HBO and Showtime and just found by checking that this is an HBO deal only. Showtime does not have the HDCP message on it, are they doing it some other way. I would not bother with it but had the converter & splitters form a non hdmi set thats gone down the road. I think what I am trying to asked is Showtime not a premium.

#57 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,685 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

I have been down this road before. Ran into the HDCP problem and switch every thing over to HDMI and replaced a non 3d set with one that is 3d so everything talks with each other. We have a system in the back part of home that has 3 led sets on 2 directv dvr's with both HDMI and component cable in the walls. Do not want to replace this so my work around is some component splitters & a Monoprice ID # 5971 HDC-320 YPbPr component + digital audio to hdmi converter and pulling the HDMI off the Directv DVR & using it on the Monoprice converter.
We have HBO and Showtime and just found by checking that this is an HBO deal only. Showtime does not have the HDCP message on it, are they doing it some other way. I would not bother with it but had the converter & splitters form a non hdmi set thats gone down the road. I think what I am trying to asked is Showtime not a premium.

Show time is a premium. The key is what channel. Right now, some channels are hdcp, some are not, and I wouldn't be surprised if someday they all will be.

#58 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for your answer, I wonder is it the premium services that is pushing the HDCP or the production companies that are doing it. And go Lakers

#59 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

The movies studios are forcing it upon the Premium channel owners, who are then pushing it onto the channel providers. If Showtime isn't using it yet, I bet they will be within the next few months.

As far as the other channels like USA, FX, ESPN, Bravo, E!, NatGeo, etc, I don't think they will try enforcing it for a few years yet.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#60 OFFLINE   brucefan42

brucefan42

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Here's a question:

Why is it OK to watch HBO, MAX, and STARZ in real time (HDCP OK) but if I record the exact same show on my DirecTV HR24, I cannot watch it over HDMI (HDCP not OK)? Said another way, if the display is compliant in real time, why is it suddenly non-compliant when the program material is recorded on the DVRs provided by DirecTV?

It seems to me that this is an issue with the DirecTV DVR and how HDCP is implemented on it, not a problem with our cables, HDTVs, receivers, or HDMI switches.

spam firewall